Photo

Joanna's

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (162 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (79 votes [49.07%])

Percentage of vote: 49.07%

2. Good (43 votes [26.71%])

Percentage of vote: 26.71%

3. Average (23 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Poor (16 votes [9.94%])

Percentage of vote: 9.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:01 PM

We went to Joanna's for the first time in years on Saturday night. Certainly the food had gone upmarket, as have their prices (~£40 each for 3 courses). It's a shame they charge an extra £2.75 fora small bit of veg, or for a couple of slices of bread. We enjoyed our meals but the ambiance was spoiled by a) being too noisy and crowded (on a Saturday I guess that's not surprising), b) having horrid music coming from a speaker too close for comfort, c) waiter/waitress hanging around refilling glasses every few minutes or taking them away before they were empty.

The food was good but we won't be rushing back. For portion size and prices it is beaten hands down by Porcini in West Dulwich.

PS. Why does a Smilie keep appearing instead of a b) above? There, it's done it again!

Moderator's Note: uncheck the box for emoticons to stop b) becoming a smiley.

Edited by James, 03 May 2006 - 07:43 AM.

aka Pie

#32 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:11 AM

Agree re charging extra for veg Sylvester. I really hate it when places add another £3 on for a bit of broccoli and a few carrots, especially when the main course prices aren't especially cheap to begin with.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#33 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:03 AM

I know what you mean about the glass-refilling, Sylvester - it annoys me too when faced with an over-enthusiatic wine waiter.

When we were there on Sunday I just told our waiter that we'd pour our wine ourselves and he left us to it.

#34 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:54 AM

Glass -filling 100% agree - this is definitely one of my pet hates. Fortunately the wine waiters in Joannas are not quite as enthusiastic as some of the other establishments on the Triangle - Chi - in my opinion being the worst offender.

Also agree that sometimes the service can be a bit rushed. We always make a point of asking for time between courses and find out how much time we have been allocated for our sitting. At the weekends they have two sittings.

Also agree that Joannas prices are little on the expensive side now for what you actually get.

That said we still enjoy going there for special occassions and it always seems busy.

#35 Tux

Tux

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:00 PM

Terrible. Over-priced suped up pub food. Service average to poor. Have been twice and have been thoroughly dissapionted both times. In an area with great choice, they really should do better.

How did they get to be in the good food guide. This must of been the only restaurant that the guide have been in.

Aweful!!!!!!!!!!

:(

#36 MattyB

MattyB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:56 PM

Have eaten here about a dozen times and only once was it anything other than exemplary. Granted it is not cheap, but have found the food, ambience and service on the whole to be excellent.

Mussels (recently removed from menu?), sunday roast and burgers spot on. Service is professional and attentive without being obtrusive - don't notice they're there, yet always on hand when needed. Good wine list too.

If Porcini in W Dulwich beats Joanna's "hands down" then I must try it ASAP!

#37 edlee

edlee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:20 PM

Have to agree with some of the less positive remarks here I'm afraid. Only been in once for Sunday lunch but I found it all a bit of a let down.

Service was slow, food was ok (apart from the yorkshire pudding which was dried up and crispy :huh: ) small portions of veg (maybe it's because of my northern roots but I expect a decent bit of veg with my sunday lunch) and a bit overpriced I thought.

Sorry Joanna's - I might try it again though before declaring the veto

Edited by edlee, 10 August 2006 - 12:21 PM.

#38 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:36 PM

I had Sunday lunch there a couple of weekends ago and really enjoyed it. The staff were very polite and friendly, and very sweet with various people's children.

I didn't have "proper" Sunday lunch though, as I'm vegetarian. I had a delicious starter, but the main was disappointing - the "salad of baby vegetables with golden crumbed poached egg, crème fraiche & tarragon" was mainly lettuce with a few more or less raw vegetables. You can only eat so much lettuce! But that was just a matter of my making the wrong choice I suspect. I do wish they had more vegetarian options though. The possible veggie options are a tart or a salad as a starter, and a different type of tart or salad as a main!
Rachel
My link

#39 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:08 PM

I'm vegetarian too and I faced the same dilemma when I went a few months ago, although I did end up going for the tart for starter and main. Both were delicious though and quite different so I did not feel too disappointed. Does not seem as though they change the menu that often though, which is a shame.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#40 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:37 PM

I look after several restaurant web sites. The typical number of menu updates is 3 per year. I also look after the web site for Joanna's and (from my records) they update their menu about 10 times per year.

However, I do recall that when favourite dishes have been removed from the menu, such as the banoffee pancake, they get inundated with complaints. So you will see quite a few items just stay on the menu.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#41 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:53 AM

Dropped by in here one lunchtime last week.

Impeccable service it has to be said and the food was very good.
Only barrier is prices. To eat in here of an evening for 2 properly I'm not sure you'd see a great deal of change from £100 if you were going for the full dining experience.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#42 Helen

Helen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:40 AM

We ate here on Friday night for the first time of an eveing (been once before for Sunday lunch). All four of us found it fantastic. Great food, wine, service & atmosphere. The starter of pork belly was one of the nicest things I have ever eaten!

It is a shame that it is a bit too pricey to go often!

#43 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:39 AM

Me and the good lady dropped by here last night.

The slow-cooked belly of pork is sublime and there will be times normally at work, when I will have an urgent need to have it again.
Fillet of Hake was also decent and the puddings (or should that be desserts?) were as rich and indulgent as ever.

Service was in the main pretty good.

So they kept filling our glasses but it saves reaching doesn't it? if you're like a bit tired.... :ph34r:
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#44 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:43 PM

On Uncle Wilf's recommendation I tried the slow cooked belly of pork on Sunday and it was indeed sublime. The rest of the food was up to Joanna's usual reliable standard.

The view from the window bar side of this restautant is the best on the Triangle and the service was judged to perfection.

#45 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:35 PM

I was in the area looking for a flat to buy with my girlfriend a few weeks ago (we'll hopefully be Norwooders some time around xmas if all goes through) and we stumbled across this place for a bit of breaky.
£18 for two pancakes with fruit, two glasses of juice and a pot of tea. A bit steep but I suppose we were paying for the service and decor, which was a pleasant surprise. It does seem to have delusions that it is located in the west end, reflected in the prices, but the staff were polite and friendly.
I'd give it a go on a Fri/Sat night, but by the look of the prices it'll be a treat rather than a regular.