Photo

Joanna's

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (162 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (79 votes [49.07%])

Percentage of vote: 49.07%

2. Good (43 votes [26.71%])

Percentage of vote: 26.71%

3. Average (23 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Poor (16 votes [9.94%])

Percentage of vote: 9.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Fee

Fee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:06 PM

After living in Palace for 18months, we finally went to Joanna's last Saturday for Brunch.

Great menu at express prices. The services was nice and so was the decor. Saying that - the bathrooms we minute.

Right, the food. Average. I had an open spinich and goat's cheese omlette. There was three times more cheese than needed and it was swimming in olive oil.

All of our guests had the roast dinner. It looked great but my partner said the roast potatoes were like hand grenades.

I know this doesn't seem too bad, but this supposed to be the BEST local restaurant. We prefer Lorenzo’s (where everyone knows your name...)

#47 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:22 AM

Had a lovely meal here tonight. This place is a real local gem...

I had the belly of pork (again!) and the missus had the goat's cheese tart - both very nice. Followed this with the legendary Joanna's burger and an amazing duck leg with pomegranate and pureed parsnip. Honestly, this is a dish to melt the hardest heart! Waited a while for the bill, but that's not important really... Great restaurant. We're lucky to have it so close... :)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#48 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:52 AM

The duck with pomegranate and parsnip sounds amazing. I've not been here in ages but looking for somewhere to go for my birthday next month and this might just do the trick!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#49 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:29 AM

Always a good choice for Birthdays but they don't take large groups (more than 8 I believe) as I found out with my 30th.

Edited by Nick, 29 January 2007 - 10:29 AM.

Nick, Forum Moderator

#50 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:16 AM

I'll be 31 so won't be going with a large group :( . All the excitement was last year - no-one's interested in my birthday for another nine years now!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#51 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:04 PM

Went on Friday with my wife for a first proper Friday night out since becoming parents so we were really looking forward to it and Joanna's didn't disappoint. Cajun Prawns, Spiced Lamb Brochettes with Tzatziki , Goats Cheese Tart and the Barnsley Chop and the Treacle Tart with Crème Fraiche and Tarte Tatin with calvados cream were all delicious. The service was attentive but not intrusive.

I still think it's a tad too pricey for what's on offer and I would say that the Mansion or Alchemy's Sunday roast is better. However the lunchtime menu is great and good value.

#52 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:47 PM

I recently completed work on a new web site for Joanna's

Their menu is available online at http://www.joannas.uk.com/menu.php

European.vote - EU Referendum

#53 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:05 PM

Went on Friday with my wife for a first proper Friday night out since becoming parents

Mr and Mrs Elmo were in there too... VNers pass like ships in the night :ph34r:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#54 anerleymartin

anerleymartin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:38 PM

I've been there twice. Decor inside is nice. The food was good but I feel the place suffered from pretentiousness i.e. small portions, high price, snooty cold service. If dining in palace I'd rather go to one of the cheaper and good quality curry houses or if I was after European/mediterranean Still Luigis.

#55 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:48 PM

We went to Joanna's on Saturday night for the first time in ages. The food was great but the service was a bit mediocre.

I had the lamb brochettes followed by the duck confit and would concur with the comments above that they were lovely. The duck worked really well with the pomegranate and the amounts were perfect. I didn't find the portions stingy at all but then I don't have a massive appetite so would much rather go somewhere where they focus on quality rather than quantity. My partner had the sweet onion tart followed by the fish pie, again both very good dishes.

The service was mixed. A couple of the waitresses were really friendly, but this wasn't universal unfortunately. When our empty plates were removed, for example, we weren't asked whether we had found our food to be satisfactory or similar. Instead a stony face just said 'thanks' and whisked the plates away quickly. There was a sense of stress amongst the staff and lots of darting around. I understand that the restaurant is busy but when you go to a restaurant it's supposed to be a relaxing experience but it didn't really feel like that. I think they need to make an effort to be create more warmth as the service is just as important as the food served. We were made to feel a little rushed, which I really dislike in restaurants, particularly ones that aren't cheap.

Price-wise, I didn't think it was too bad. We don't eat there very often anyway and the food is great.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#56 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:06 AM

I think we'll be going there for my mum's 60th in a few weeks time so will be interesting to see how the service is then.
My mum is the kind of person who says things in restaurants like "those people over there were here after us and have been served before us" under her breath. And would never EVER complain audibly.

Glad to hear the food is still very good....
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#57 DaisyGrubber

DaisyGrubber

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:07 PM

For what it's worth, I've been to Joanna's and it's been great, I've been there and it's been rubbish. It seems to have varied a lot over the years. I don't know if this goes in phases or if it's consistently inconsistent, but I think I would decide on whether to go there on the basis of the last few reviews on this thread rather than on the poll!

In fact I haven't voted on the poll myself, because I wouldn't know what option to tick.

Edited by DaisyGrubber, 01 March 2007 - 11:09 PM.

#58 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:13 AM

I can't remember what I ever voted, probably 'good'. It's never been rubbish for food for me, although better for meat than veggie options in my opinion. The service has varied a fair amount. Usually efficient, occasionally friendly, but sometimes a little cold. Last time I went in there on a Sat lunchtime - didn't get given lunch menu. When I asked for it, I was told they don't have a lunch menu. Questioned this, saying that they usually did, waiter went away, then came back and said 'we have a brunch menu', a tad snottily, I thought. I suppose a roast by any other name smelled just as sweet, but otherwise that was one of their off-days.

#59 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:04 PM

It's nice to see the menu's changed and I am tempted bt it (even if one of the vegetarian mains is risotto!) But they still have a tart as both one of the vegetarian starters and as the other vegetarian main, which seems a little silly!
Rachel
My link

#60 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:15 PM

I've been there a few times over the years and always found the food generally good but the thing that winds me up is the attitude of the staff.

Everytime I've been there and not booked there is a 10 minute wait while the waiter/maitre'd runs his finger down an empty page of bookings and then surveys the empty restaurant (bear in mind the last time this happened it was a Wednesday lunchtime) before giving us a table. It just gives the impression of snootiness which gets my back up, not the best way to start a lazy lunch!

Yes, I know, I should book, but sometimes it's a spur of the moment thing....