Photo

Lorenzo

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (114 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (57 votes [51.35%])

Percentage of vote: 51.35%

2. Good (27 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

3. Average (16 votes [14.41%])

Percentage of vote: 14.41%

4. Poor (11 votes [9.91%])

Percentage of vote: 9.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:38 PM

Still a reliable local restaurant in my opinion.

Was in there Sunday before last and still good value, decent and respectful service (even when busy) and reasonable prices.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#47 Tux

Tux

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:55 PM

For me, Lorenzo's is the perfect example of a good local Italian. The food is good, the service and price excellent. Sure you can get more up market cuisine, but good honest home made Italian food at a good price is hard to beat.

This is definitely one of my favourite restaurants in CP and would recommend it to anyone.

My only gripe is that it sometimes feels a little cramped in there, especially if you have small kids. Still I will put up with that.
:)

#48 BuzzBee

BuzzBee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:12 PM

Felt I needed to post to stick up for Lorenzos too - food ranges from average to excellent but is far more often at the latter end of the scale. Pasta/pizzas always a good choice.

Service is so good - just the right speed and always friendly. Also for value for money it can't be beaten. Wine list could be slightly better but is always drinkable (!!!). IMO a gem of a local Italian.

#49 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:14 PM

Much much better than Pizza express fantastic for kids too. These must be isolated incidents I hope .

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#50 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:10 PM

great news for believers all over the golden triangle... getting cats out of the cattery and other commitments left us without food (again... i think its done on purpose myself) lorenzos is alive and kicking...very busy, i agree...but doing fine and laying down large portions for little... although i had to walk past the thai a couple of doors down which was...EMPTY as far as i could tell...

#51 lallyb

lallyb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:36 AM

I really don't know what happened when we visited! I keep looking at the other posts in praise of Lorenzos, and wondering if we had gone to the wrong place! I don't think we were being overly picky, and were expecting basic Italian food, nothing fancy, so I don't think that our expectations were too high, and we would much rather use local independants rather than chains....but it really was bad. Maybe we will try again, as I would love to love it as much as everyone else seems to!

#52 HellH

HellH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:12 PM

went dere just yesterday and i enjoyed the food. i had da calzone and it was delicious... they have now got ventilation downstairs and there is two different chefs. 1 is a brilliant chef who makes da food well bt then there is da second chef who makes da food bland and tasteless.

i recommend you go on mondays (all day), wednesdays (all day), thursdays (all day), fridays (all day), saturdays (11:00-2:30) and sunday (all day).
My dad is da chef dat works on all da days above and his food is of much better standard then the second 1.

i recommend u go because the staff are friendly and it is a good cheerful place

Edited by HellH, 04 April 2006 - 02:12 PM.

#53 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:48 PM

Went in with the missus tonight. Had the Pollo Provinciale and Primavera pizza, both lovely.

Amazes us how popular the place is... it was packed! Pretty good for a Wednesday evening ^_^
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#54 Mingusohyeah

Mingusohyeah

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:12 PM

Must've been packed because the good chef was on... :rolleyes:

#55 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:19 AM

Lorenzos is a great local business and i would much prefer to visit them than pizza express over the road.

Always get a great welcome and service too. We always like to try the specials.

I dont have expectations of Lorenzos and always get a good surprise when going there.

I design stuff for very famous restaurants in London and obviously have been lucky enough to be able to have meals there and sometimes because of the high expectations because of a famous chef etc i get totally let down!!!

Lorenzos is cheap and cheerful and i do wonder what else people want from this place... BLOOD!?
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#56 lallyb

lallyb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:31 PM

Erm.....no, but some adequate food and a drinkable bottle of wine would have done!

#57 Isabelle

Isabelle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:31 AM

Love Lorenzo. Went last night again - everybody must go and try the Calamari Mare e Monti when it's on the specials board. It's amazing - squid in a very garlicky, buttery, white wine sauce with pancetta and spinach. Bread for mopping is essential!

Always enjoyed my meals here and agree with other posters that no neighbourhood is complete without a reliable local Italian restaurant. The contrast in custom with the Thai restaurant next door is painful - Lorenzo is always busy for good reason.

Only gripe from last night was that one of our starters was much later than the other, a beer was ordered but not brought and then an extra beer appeared on hte bill. However, the staff cleverly distracted us from these small mistakes by being unfailingly friendly and polite - I just couldn't stay cross with them!

#58 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:38 AM

Spotted this in the Croydon Guardian which confirms previous posts.

Lorenzo's hosts Hollywood Couple -ooooooooooooh :huh: :huh:

#59 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:48 AM

Great coverage for Lorenzo's.

The Croydon Guardian's description of Westow Hill is unflattering, incomplete and somewhat ignorant though.
No mention of 7,450 estate agents and in all seriousness, a number of very good restaurants.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#60 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:12 AM

oooh i just read that article - obviosuly that writer hasnt stepped foot in the palace before and has just driven through - at speed - to get a story .....

ive seen a few other famous faces in there too... but the whole fact they can just relax and enjoy their food is credit to the staff or being professional and treating like any other customer

lorenzos shows you that you dont have to have an expensive menu in the center of town to get good food... :P
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com