Photo

Lorenzo

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (114 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (57 votes [51.35%])

Percentage of vote: 51.35%

2. Good (27 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

3. Average (16 votes [14.41%])

Percentage of vote: 14.41%

4. Poor (11 votes [9.91%])

Percentage of vote: 9.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:41 AM

Was in here last night with Mrs Uncle Wilf.
It was extremely busy. The food was consistently good and whilst service suffered a little because of busyness it did not drop to the point where it became a problem.

A reliable local at reasonable prices.

To be cherished and commended. It's not gourmet food but it's not gourmet prices neither.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#62 SaufEastLondon

SaufEastLondon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:46 PM

Went there a short while ago and found the attitude of the staff very rude. My partner went there with friends and reported the same thing. I find the food ok, but it is more akin a good cafe than restaurant. However, prices were more akin to a West End Italian. Wont' be going there again unless food is prepared better and staff change their attitude

#63 anerleymartin

anerleymartin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:32 PM

If you are unhappy with you meal you should always complain at the time regardless as you will get more satisfaction that way. I'm sure the owners would appreciate constructive critisism at the time rather than giving a negative opinion on a forum like this where you are jeorpardising the owners livlyhood especially as this forum is now getting so much traffic.

Dazza

PS I sent my cold coffee back several weeks ago & they replaced it without question.

Nonsense! So you're only allowed to give good reviews? Everyone is allowed to pass on their experiences. Thats what this forum is for!

#64 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:32 PM

I can't fault the place. It's been there for as long as I remember, the food is good, the prices are reasonable and I've always found the service to be friendly and efficient. The fact it's usually packed and has been there for years must mean they're doing something right.

#65 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:12 PM

Off course you can give bad reviews anerly martin but it was such a pathetic moan in 2004 I thought I had to make comment.

Anyway lorenzos is always full & has been since its opening in 1980 something when 1 was only a young man with a mullet. I'm sure Lorenzos will still be there long after that Pizza Express has gone.

My little boy loves it there as do I as it is cheap as chip & cheerful. If you are looking for 5 michelin star food & silver service you should go elsewhere !

Anyway it is 2007 & Lorenzos are still going as strong as ever & its bums on seat that count !

Dazza

PS Pizza Express Pizzas taste rubbery to me ! There you go I have just given a bad review !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#66 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:49 AM

I thought the comment about "West End" prices was amusing. If I'm thinking in terms of eating out in the West End, I'm going somewhere a bit more expensive than Lorenzo's! Perhaps it referred to the Burger King near Picadilly Circus?

#67 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:01 PM

Have been to Lorenzo's a few times now. Food solidly good, prices excellent, nice desserts. The sausage-and-borlotti-bean casserole they've had on the specials board of late is great. The whole place has a rather old-fashioned feel to it, which is no bad thing at all - it beats seven shades out of any fake modern Italian chain you care to name.

Wouldn't complain if they added one or two liver dishes to the menu though - there are loads of nice oldschool Italian recipes with liver.

#68 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:06 AM

Agreed Wulfhound

Popped into Lorenzo's on Bank Holiday afternoon and the pork sausage with borlotti bean casserole is always worth having. Service was good and I think Lorenzo's continues to be a reliable local. And a pint of Nastro Azzuro is a pleasure to have as well.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#69 LizzieC

LizzieC

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:39 PM

Following my praise of Lorenzos for this disability awareness and kindness to Assistance Dogs on 24th November 2007 by friend (Smudge's handler) wrote of the evening in her blog and as she manages to sum up the whole experience that is Lorenzos I have, with her permission, copied it over to here.

A group of us and two Hearing Dogs (Smudge and Harry) descended upon Lorenzo in Crystal Palace for a home cooked Italian meal. This restaurant is on the High Street and close to the tube station, so itís easy to get to.

This restaurant looks really small from the outside but there are three floors. It looked good n busy! I was wondering how noisy this place is going to be Ö am I going to enjoy this night out as none of my friends in this group can sign. I canít relax if I am struggling to lip read people against a constant din, itís really hard work. We were shown to a large table in the corner downstairs and were promptly attended to by a polite and efficient waiter, who brought us wine. The place began to fill up with families and couples, it had a friendly bustle and the waiting staff were attentive.

The starters and main course arrived quickly, we didnít feel we were left waiting long for each course. For a starter I had Hot Spinach Bake - a huge slab of goats cheese, lots of spinach and roasted peppers. For my main I had Tortellini Al Prosciutto - fresh pasta filled with cured ham and cheese in a creamy tomato and nutmeg sauce topped with cured ham. It looked good, tasted good, and was a decent sized portion. Everyone else was equally happy with their food.

When we wanted more wine, I looked around for a waiter and he noticed immediately, he was in fact already opening a bottle before I managed to voice my request. Blimey, thatís what I call good service! The dogs were lying quietly under the table, no one seemed to notice they were there and the staff certainly didnít have a problem with them. One of the waiters charmed us all by bringing over bowls of water for the dogs.

As the wine flowed, the good service and friendly atmosphere combined to relax me almost into a stupor. By this time I didnít really care about lip reading, and asked for the pudding menu - there was ice cream, and lots of it! I asked for Coppa Lorenzo which was a confection of caramelita, chocolate and vanilla ice creams topped with cream, hazelnuts and a biscuit. It didnít disappoint but it certainly disappointed Smudge who was hoping for a taste!
At this point I was ready to fall off my chair and roll over. We were brought coffees and offered drinks on the house. Oh, my. We left very, very satisfied and happy customers - weíll definitely be back!

Edited by James, 08 December 2007 - 11:19 PM.
Text formatting

#70 centralhilleagle

centralhilleagle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 11:06 AM

Well after living in the area for years I finally went there with the fiancee last night. It was so full by about 8:15 we felt lucky to get a table! Well, to summarise the place I'd have to say "good for the price". If you want to be wowed, go to Mediterranea (one of our favourites), but this place does simple Italian food and it does it well and at a good price. The service was polite and fast enough, again not the best you'll find, but nothing to complain about either. As someone else said, this is what your local Italian restaurant should be, cheap and cheerful with good (if not "divine") food. The fact that it's been there for years and still fills out on a Thursday night speaks for itself.

#71 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:58 PM

I saw Lorenzo's new ovens being delivered today. They were closed for lunch whilst all the work was going on but Lorenzo assured me that they would be back open for business this evening as usual.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#72 Crofty

Crofty

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:13 AM

They have also changed the menu and the prices have increased a little but it is still great value.

#73 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:17 AM

Big thanks to Lorenzos for last night...turning out arrabiatta to my exacting needs one more time as ever!

#74 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:48 PM

they did a great job with efficient service of a very large table. I really enjoyed my Pesto Ravioli too!

#75 OurPippin

OurPippin

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 02:35 PM

Terrible starter! A large plate with 3 button mushrooms and a dab of hard garlic butter arrived. When we complained, the waiter stated crossly that we might be able to "pay half" of the £5.95, as usually there are 6 mushrooms on the plate and they ran out. We did the same not much later (having suffered a chicken fillet covered in sickly, salty tomato sauce).