Photo

Chi Oriental

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (63 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (38 votes [62.30%])

Percentage of vote: 62.30%

2. Good (12 votes [19.67%])

Percentage of vote: 19.67%

3. Average (8 votes [13.11%])

Percentage of vote: 13.11%

4. Poor (3 votes [4.92%])

Percentage of vote: 4.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:20 AM

We had another very good meal at Chi recently. We have been impressed with the consistently fresh ingredients used and have found Chi to be several rungs above the average uk chinese restaurant. Particularly good is the range of starters cooked with chilli and salt (can't recall the name, sorry) - R normally has the seafood version and I have the tofu. I have never tasted tofu like this - normally tofu presented in restaurants is a bit rubbery and chewy but this is fresh and exquisitely cooked, lightly crisp on he outside and deliciously soft and 'melt in the mouth' within.

The service is always impeccable and the decor quite lovely and restful. The only slight problem is that we always forget that the portion sizes (especially the starters) are generous and we order too much!

SL

#32 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

A group of us went last Saturday after a hard day on the campaign stall - the food was excellent and service as you say Summit Lover impeccable.

Crispy Aromatic duck - superb 5 yums plus

Side order (not on menu) of Char sui pork -yum yum, yum, yum, yum

Garlic Lamb - yum, yum, yum, yum, yum

Beef and ginger and spring onion - yum, yum, yum, yum, yum

I can't remember what else we had but it was all delicious...................

& by the time we left it was absolutely packed with families - a lovely sight

PS - Chilli and Saltand garlic loads of:

Chiu Yen King Prawn and Squid - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum Double Yums

#33 lovefood

lovefood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

Had a dinner with friends at chi last week. The food was impressively good
. We had crispy duck and must say that was the best duck Ive had
.Steamed seabass with Ginger and spring onions was very fresh and very tasty
nice place nice staff and nice food. Cannot wait for my second visit Yummy...

#34 ClaireyM

ClaireyM

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

We ordered a take-away from Chi on Saturday night as my parents and brother had popped round. I thought we'd order from them as their food isn't greasy and MSG-tastic like some Chinese food can be. We had to call them back when we got the delivery because they'd forgotten the lemon sauce for the lemon chicken and the plum sauce for the duck. No problem they said, we'll call the driver and send him back. Driver came back, but only with the lemon sauce. We called back again to say no plum sauce - they said it would take 40mins to get some plum sauce to us...! Duck pancakes with no plum sauce is a touch on the dry side... Shame as everything else was lovely!

#35 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:09 PM

We hadn't been here for ages - so much choice on the Triangle these days - but ate here this evening. Well worth a visit - charming service, calm and spacious decor and delicious food.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#36 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

Been there last week for a takeway and it was very nice indeed, I think it was a Thursday so the restaurant was empty unfortunately but the TA is good and the guys there were very polite and friendly. will def use it again
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#37 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Chi Oriental is leagues above the average uk chinese restaurant - the food is always fresh and tastes sublime. Can highly recommend Chiu Yin prawns or beancurd - lightly stir-fried in spiced salt, peppercorns and red chillies both are very more'ish.

#38 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

I don't like Chinese food ordinarily but this place is good for me.

They must do a roaring takeaway trade as there's never anyone in there......same goes for Edo

#39 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

I don't like Chinese food ordinarily but this place is good for me.

They must do a roaring takeaway trade as there's never anyone in there......same goes for Edo

What are the pubs/restaurants like near you in leafy Bucks?

#40 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

Two pubs in the village. Very nice and traditional. Couple of bistros. One Chinese and one ruby house. I will post up reviews once visited and in the style of Colincollins

#41 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

Two pubs in the village. Very nice and traditional.

Daza will be SOOO jealous!

Actually, I rather like a country pub. I spend nearly half my life in Bridport and have the pleasure of the George and the Tiger, both great old trad pubs that I wish I could transport up here - together with the colourful locals (ooh arrrrrrr).

Couple of bistros.

Oooh lovely! Hope they have candles artfully stuffed into old Mateus Rose bottles :)

I will post up reviews once visited and in the style of Colincollins

Excellent - don't forget the travel and toilet block updates.

Talking of which, nowt from ColinCollins for ages, wish he would post again :unsure: (unless it was you all along........ ;) ).

#42 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

this thread needs a few cubes in its urinal!

#43 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

Still very good food but eating in not worth bothering with so much as (and I do sound like my mother) no tablecoths on table and paper serviettes do not quite make for an eating in experience. More like going round your mate from schools house to have lasagne and chips.

Food-wise still one of the best Chinese restaurants locally but a service charge on top to eat in does not equate with the experience. Great for takeaway though.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#44 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

Still very good food but eating in not worth bothering with so much as (and I do sound like my mother) no tablecoths on table and paper serviettes do not quite make for an eating in experience. More like going round your mate from schools house to have lasagne and chips.

Food-wise still one of the best Chinese restaurants locally but a service charge on top to eat in does not equate with the experience. Great for takeaway though.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here to an extent Wilf O' The Whisp - I don't think you need to have tablecloths to be a rung up from going to your mate's house for lasagne and chips. Although I am not a fan of minimalist per se I like the simple, classy decor in Chi, it certainly is a refreshing change from the garish lanterns etc. of some high street Chinese joints.

I am a big fan of the food at Chi too, it knocks other chinese restaurants into a cocked hat! I have had a take-away or two from there which have been fine but like all freshly cooked stir-fries it is at its absolute best eaten straight away rather than travelling for 20 minutes or so in a sealed container before it reaches your mouth.

#45 Nikkibells

Nikkibells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Only had takeaway here but really good food probably the best Chinese locally.