Photo

Chi Oriental

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (63 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (38 votes [62.30%])

Percentage of vote: 62.30%

2. Good (12 votes [19.67%])

Percentage of vote: 19.67%

3. Average (8 votes [13.11%])

Percentage of vote: 13.11%

4. Poor (3 votes [4.92%])

Percentage of vote: 4.92%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

I wasnt quite sure how this place operates now, but it seems it's takes away only AND only on saturdays and sundays. Happened to be saturday, so ordered online via "just eat" and had a super cheap meal, delivered promptly for the time I ordered and it was DELICIOUS! Never tried them out before, but my daughter insisted in her neeeeed for duck wraps tonight and Tamnag Thai was fully booked, so even though this was a last minute solution it was really good. Very happy I found this. Will order again!

#47 ptg23

ptg23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Another vote for this place - exceptional food. Only had take away but always blown away by how much better it is than the local competition. Tad pricey but I guess your getting what you pay for.

#48 Ellesbelles

Ellesbelles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

Tried this place the other day, food was really great and so much better than usual Chinese places which are often quite greasy... The portions are pretty huge, not complaining however.   :D

#49 CityView

CityView

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

We went back to eat in the restaurant for the first time in ages.  Whilst the food was once again very good (i don't usually like Chinese) the service was the worst I've every experienced in a restaurant and there was very little atmosphere as only a few tables were occupied. 

To give examples of why the service was so poor.

1. We had to call the waitresses over every time we needed anything like an order taken or more water when I'd had a glass empty for a while.  What's worse is that when I did catch a waiteresses attention , rather than coming over to see what we needed, she asked what i wanted and was expecting me to shout over to the other side of the restaurant that I might possibly want a re-fill of water!
  2. After clearing the table of our finished meal there was food on the table that they could't be bothered to wipe up.
  3. All the staff had their coats on waiting to leave before we'd even paid  - i had to ask for the bill 20 mins after plates were cleared and here had been no offer of desert.
  4. Ordering drinks before we'd even opened a menu I was asked 'Is there anything else you want?' (meaning food) in those exact words
  5. Getting the bottle of wine we'd ordered took about 10 minutes.
  6. And to top it off 10% automatic service charge on the bill.

Note that the other times we have eaten their the service has been good but perhaps it has changed hands.

In short, i would definitely recommend for a takeaway but would definitely not recommend to eat in.

Good value for money also.

Edited by CityView, 27 April 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#50 Jeniffer.usa

Jeniffer.usa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

nice food, i loved 

#51 Joel

Joel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

Have often walked past this place and peered in. Looks posh but never that busy. Went the other night and was pleasantly surprised. The food was really good and I now call it the 'posh' takeaway!  would definitely go again.

#52 CapitAl

CapitAl

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

When-ever we get a Chinese takeaway, we use this place and are always pleased with the food. Seems a cut above most takeaways, if perhaps a little bit more  expensive. We've eaten in the restaurant itself a few times, though not for a while. The service and food was always good but it didn't seem to have a lot of atmosphere.

Al

#53 ptg23

ptg23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

Still the Don for takeaways :D

Edited by ptg23, 24 June 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#54 CapitAl

CapitAl

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

Chi Oriental had  a sign saying "closed for refurbishment" for a while. The sign's gone but the place still isn't open.

Anyone know whether its closed for good?

A real pity if it is, I thought it was the best Chinese take away in the Palace.

Al

#55 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:13 PM

Have been trying to find out too, - phoned up for a take-away the other weekend and the phone just rang and rang. Nobody seems to know not even the local traders. Really hope it hasn't closed.   :(  

#56 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

Have been trying to find out too, - phoned up for a take-away the other weekend and the phone just rang and rang. Nobody seems to know not even the local traders. Really hope it hasn't closed.   :(  

Whoever owns this spot has been busy building the above floor and it seems also bought the Threshers buildings next door to do the same so maybe they have all moved out while this is done.