Photo

Tamnag Thai

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (142 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (58 votes [40.56%])

Percentage of vote: 40.56%

2. Good (34 votes [23.78%])

Percentage of vote: 23.78%

3. Average (24 votes [16.78%])

Percentage of vote: 16.78%

4. Poor (27 votes [18.88%])

Percentage of vote: 18.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 12:04 PM

dont knock this place... everyone has a bad day but that thai soup is incredible...pity its only on the lunch menu ! tarasak and the crew work hard and if you are patient the experience is great - try it - i do not know of a single person who has not liked it

#17 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:10 AM

Agreed. I like leisurely Saturday or Sunday afternoons in here (as well as a couple of other places around CP)....all main courses are a fiver at most from the lunch menu too. Great selection and most of the staff are pleasant during the day !? And the food makes me very happy.
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#18 top o' the hill

top o' the hill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:29 PM

I heartily agree with Philip. This is a fab place with food to die for! Yes it does get a little busy, but in my vast experience of Thai food this place is second only to the Shagri-La in Bangkok. If you haven't yet tried it you really should.

Also, about 3 months ago they added new dishes to their menu. I didn't think this restaurant could get any better but it really did!

I've tried Chang Thai and I've got to say it doesn't come anywhere near Tamnag in terms of quality, ambience or service. The quality of food is abysmal in comparison and its not a bad restaurant.

Edited by top o' the hill, 19 August 2005 - 03:32 PM.

#19 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:32 PM

I went here on Saturday and thought it was great! The food was fantastic and the staff extremely helpful. Both my partner and I smoke and although its a non smoking restaurant (except the bar area) we were seated by the "garden" and she said we could pop out if we wanted to.

Although it was busy we waited at the bar for a free table and they told us 25 minutes but it only turned out to be 10.

I can seriously recommend the Crispy Chilli Duck and Garlic Fried Rice!

:jedi:

#20 kingnutter

kingnutter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:42 AM

The food in here is good, though haven't compared it with other Thai restaurants in the area.

However, they constantly creep their prices up and it is becoming too expensive for what you get.

Also, they charged me £2 for a glass of tap water even though we were already drinking wine. Outrageous.

#21 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:24 PM

I am pretty sure that's illegal.

I once heard that there's a law that places that sell drink are obliged to give you a glass of tap water for free if you ask for one... or maybe that's just pubs

Moderator's Note
Please be aware that in our forum guidelines we have explained we cannot accept potentially libellous comments. We accept fair criticism in our reviews but allegations of illegal activity are not permitted.

Edited by James, 20 January 2006 - 02:20 PM.

Rachel
My link

#22 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:20 PM

I am a South East fan and would never eat out anywhere else but on an impulse I bought my first take-away from Tamnag on Friday and I have to say the food was absolutely delicious. The sea food broth was out of this world and a big hearty portion too!! I was very impressed. They deserve their reputation.

#23 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:49 PM

i quite agree, charlie. i've had take-aways from here twice and am extremely impressed. If you collect they knock 15 % off the bill and if you spend 30-quid then they throw in a free bottle of wine or 3 cans of Chang beer too.
And it all comes in a handy cardboard box too.
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#24 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:22 PM

a sorry in advance to tarasak...

todays visit to tamnag thai personally was ok... food good as always ! service to myself ok. they did try to charge me for an extra beer, but then i dont complain when they miss one off either. the bill came and i pointed out the error and it was
rectified.

but during the wait i was listening to the goings on around me and it was a disaster
area... four adults and a small child were still waiting for a table after 15 minutes and when they asked if they could sit at a table they got " too busy 15 minutes "
even though they had eight tables i could see empty and the waiter was practically abusing the next table... i am sorry i have had a million bowls of soup but i can now see why people on this site complain... if you read this tarasak get your act together your product is perfect but the muppets you had serving today will break you

#25 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:16 PM

mothers day...
six adults and a one year old in a full restaurant...absolutely perfect
i still dont think it will work without tarasak and his good lady but a five star performance today...

#26 Chubners

Chubners

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

Great starters but disappointingly bland mains. A bit of a let down considering the great atmosphere and reputation.

#27 Mat

Mat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:27 PM

We was impress with how good the food was, probable one of the best thai food we have eaten in a long while, being in the industry we have eaten in a lot of thai restaurants over the last few years.

Fantastic food & great service, we was impress & I believe everyone els will be too. keep it up, we will be back soon.

#28 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:24 PM

i have to agree if you were eating today it was slick from start to finish
and the soup was still good

#29 miss_g

miss_g

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:11 PM

another great meal here on sunday! very tasty great service love it here!
starters, main courses, pudding's and wine and water £25 each bargain!

#30 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:43 PM

i didnt make numidie last night... but i did go next door earlier in the day...
After failing to score the correct mobile phone on foot in croydon during the morning and confronted with chaos at east croydon station i hatched a plan
to visit tamnaq thai and collect a take away for anyone interested at home.
imagine my surprise when i crashed into a closed door, with a closed sign on it !
i was just about to trudge back to hq empty handed when tarasak spotted me and
invited me in. I was invited to stay and eat if i could take the noise...they were closed for rewiring!!! I said i was only going to get a takeaway so he gave me a beer and sat me at the bar whilst he prepared our food. ten minutes later my food was handed over. damned brilliant service !!!