Photo

Tamnag Thai

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (142 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (58 votes [40.56%])

Percentage of vote: 40.56%

2. Good (34 votes [23.78%])

Percentage of vote: 23.78%

3. Average (24 votes [16.78%])

Percentage of vote: 16.78%

4. Poor (27 votes [18.88%])

Percentage of vote: 18.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 03:06 PM

I have just had a lunch in Tamnag Thai on my own AHHHHHHHH and I had to write to say how priviledged we are to have this restaurant in CP I know we all like it but like me you probably take it a bit for granted.

I had a thai green curry and rice for a fiver and a dessert that an artist would have been inspired to paint. It was described as a custard and I thought OK but when it arrived WOW It was a 2" slice of coconut flavoured custard with what I think was palm nuts (beatiful orange coloured tasty things whatever they were) on top. The custard had a sprig of mint on top and to its left was ice cream. To its right was mango pieces and it was topped off with a sophisticated choc sauce. This too was under a fiver though I would have been happy to have been served it in a top restaurant for three times the price. A glass of wine and my bill - 12.75 Fab!

I could have stopped at the curry and spent a fiver! the price of egg and bacon.

#47 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

ah the infamous silver... i was in said eatery at the same time...and i think you were just about in the middle section at the back??? i thought it was a little slow in there... the whole meal for us took one hour thirty and twenty of that was getting the bill... not good if it was your lunch hour! it wasnt mine so whatever!

#48 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:22 AM

I took my mum there for lunch on a weekday back in April. The place wasn't too busy but it took about 40 min for the food to come. When it did, it was delicious!

Edited by rennie, 11 September 2007 - 09:22 AM.

#49 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:15 AM

I love Tamnag. I think it's possibly the best Thai place I've been to in London.
I actually quite like the long wait for food, as it offers some reassurance that it's being cooked from fresh rather than slopped out of a huge cauldron and arriving on your table 3 mins after ordering.
Plus the staff have always been really polite and courteous and the prices are very good for the quality of food that's served.
I think I've talked myself into a Thai this weekend :)

#50 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:28 PM

Had the champagne lunch yesterday. Great value for wonderful food... The bill always takes ages to arrive which is quite annoying, but in terms of the stuff on the plate, this place is an absolute gem.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#51 ToodlePip

ToodlePip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:49 PM

food is generally good, service is very hit and mis, mostly miss.

<additional comments removed>

Edited by James, 07 November 2007 - 06:08 PM.
Potentially Libellous Comments

#52 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:58 AM

I've found the service quite good to be honest. Nobody has ever been rude, food sometimes takes a while to come, but considering they're nearly always packed in the evening it's not surprising. At least I can be confident I'm not eating a "ding!" meal.
I too have had long wait times for the bill, but I've found if I start making my way towards the door that tends to speed things up a bit, and I can pay at the til on the way out.

#53 The Anerley ORB

The Anerley ORB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:40 PM

Agreeing with Toodlepip. Summed it up perfectly, the food is usually sound, the service very hit and miss, mostly miss. For some strange reason personable, friendly service doesn't start until after you have been seated. I have been half a dozen times in the past 12 months and the staff get the initial welcome wrong every time, there is usually a wait, often barely an acknowledgement of your presence or a smile until they are good and ready to find you a seat...strange really.

#54 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:25 AM

What a great thai...its fantastic having somewhere like this on our door step.

The food was great!

We may have had to wait a while for our bill etc, but we were in no rush...infact its nice to go for a meal and not be rushed out, to get someone else on the table.
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk

#55 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:00 AM

We had intended to go to South East last night but as it was closed, Mrs Wilf and I visited Tamnag. Haven't been in here for nearly 4 years and was not overly keen to go but we had settled on Thai food.

The staff have still to develop a friendly attitude and whilst service was prompt it was barely courteous.
I cannot fault the food. The vegetable tempura and King Prawn Green Curry with garlic fried rice were both very good.

But I don't think we'll be rushing back. When you can get good food and more friendly service elsewhere why would you bother?
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#56 miss_g

miss_g

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:04 PM

I know some people have had problems with the service, but I have always found them to be fine! Perhaps they can be seen as a bit stand-offish as they are usually very busy.
I went on Saturday and had the most fantastic food ever, in all the times of eating there over the years, I have never ever had a bad meal from here, i think it is excellent.
but each to your own!
x ;)

#57 duckec01

duckec01

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:38 PM

I am with Uncle Wilf on the service on Tamnag. Years ago it just used to bemuse me now I can't tolerate it.

I have been going there since they first opened, which must be about 20 years now and the atmosphere is just not enjoyable anymore. It's not just the service, I don't like the way they cram in as many tables as they can. I like to be in a restaurant where I can hear the conversation on my table not three or four surrounding me.

I also think the food is nowhere near as good as used to be.

I know most people still like it loads but it just isn't for me anymore, there are far better places to eat in the area in my view.

#58 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:46 PM

My wife and I had a lovely meal in here last night. We seemed to get a pretty brusque reception so I was expecting more of the same throughout the evening but I'm happy to say it simply wasn't the case.

I have every reason to suspect some kind of cultural misunderstanding with their general demeanour as the blank, borderline cold expressions and swift actions belie genuine warmth and charm.

I found all the staff polite and friendly.

#59 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:06 PM

Yeah, but it doesn't have to be that way - the folks at Nim's Kitchen are really the epitome of courteous. We always feel so well treated there - so why should Tamang be so brusque?

#60 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:30 PM

I am actually frustrated by the inconsistancy at Tamnag. I went there and had the most amazing meal. When the chefs on TV talk about layers of taste, I thught they were being poncy but after my meal at Tamnag, I realised what they meant. I would have driven miles for such a meal. Unfortunatley I have lrdered that meal about ten times since hoping for the same result but unfortunately what I had in the way of taste in the first instance is just taken over by spice now and I have never been pleased with that meal since the first occassion. I really think that the first thing a restaurant should be able to do is serve the same version of the meal every time so that you know what you are going to get.