Photo

Tamnag Thai

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (142 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (58 votes [40.56%])

Percentage of vote: 40.56%

2. Good (34 votes [23.78%])

Percentage of vote: 23.78%

3. Average (24 votes [16.78%])

Percentage of vote: 16.78%

4. Poor (27 votes [18.88%])

Percentage of vote: 18.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:59 PM

I have been in for lunch and it's not been too bad. But a couple of weeks ago I went there in the evening...first time for ages and some of the old team were back after a break and it seemed a little like olden times... or I was lucky... anyway mrs pb is off to Aus for a month so I don't doubt I will have the opportunity to try again!

#122 helenloc

helenloc

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

We went in last night for a celebration dinner and we had a great time. Service was excellent, efficient and friendly. The food was delicious. Will definitely go back more often.

#123 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

We did it! Dared going back after a VERY long absence. The moody, rude waiter is still there, but we were mainly taken care of by another waiter who was lovely. Very polite, very helpful, didn't bring a plate full of spring onions when I said WITHOUT spring onions please (as the other one always did), nor did he go mad at me for changing an order of apple juice into lemonade... The food was delicious, I had a spicy salad with prawns and scallops, which was great and my parents had duck with orange sauce and pak choi which was amazing. Mine was nice too, but the duck was the winner.
All in all a nice evening, friendly, quick service (in and out of there 5 people in just over an hour) and nice food. Prices reasonable for quality.

Happy to have been back! Will go again! Just avoid the moody waiter who's repertoire of facial expressions does not include smiling...

#124 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

Good to hear! I've missed the Tamnag too. Will risk it for a biscuit over the festive season.

#125 Curzon

Curzon

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

haven't eaten in here yet but got a takeaway at the weekend and -given how packed it was - i wasn't particularly impressed. It wasn't terrible but i won't be hurrying back, a little disappointing.

#126 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

Havent been in there for yonks but on the few occassions I did - I kind of felt a bit rushed - like they wanted the table for someone else - nice decor and look about the place - but preferred the food and friendliness and old world charm of Thai Crystal - with the foregoing of South East and that other one where Exhib Rooms now is I think about 2 Thais is about right for CP - havent had that much new to shake up the mix for a bit it seems to me - wonder what new exotic foods of the world would best bless the triangle? Bratwurst and Saukraut anyone?

#127 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

I've been in there quite a few times lately and while I didn't think the service was that good, it wasn't terrible. Impersonal, maybe, but okay. Last time however, I had to wait ages for food and wine and the service was definitely bordering on rudeness. I suspect they were short-staffed but I don't think I'll go back for quite a while.

#128 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

... wonder what new exotic foods of the world would best bless the triangle?

By far and away the missing thing is a good, fresh Mexican. Absolutely NOT the glommy cheesy TexMex gunk served by most places but the fresh (sub)tropical flavours of Oaxaca (Wahaca).

#129 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

By far and away the missing thing is a good, fresh Mexican. Absolutely NOT the glommy cheesy TexMex gunk served by most places but the fresh (sub)tropical flavours of Oaxaca (Wahaca).

Agreed :)

Would also like to see a funky little Spanish Bar serving great tapas, sherries and beers - and I mean proper little tapas with fresh ingredients rather than the platefuls of reheated stodge that many faux tapas places serve in the UK. I can still remember the taste explosion in my mouth of a sliver of fresh anchovy and plump, punchy olive (we had wandered into a bar in Cadiz last year and a grizzled local waved us over smiling hugely and insisted that we both have a forkful of his tapas - I didn't think I liked fresh anchovies but felt it would be rude to refuse. Glad I went for it as it was beyond delicious),

#130 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

Yes, I loved going into those places when in San Sebastian (my only real foray into non 'ere we go' 'ere we go' Spain)

All the hams hanging off the ceiling etc, loved it. Though I fear the H&S in the UK brigade would outlaw that type of shenanigan.

#131 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

... a funky little Spanish Bar serving great tapas, sherries and beers...

Oh yes indeed, a plateful of Serrano, artichoke hearts, broad beans in olive oil and that potatoey salad they do in Seville, with a bottle of Cruz Campo lager, and a glass of ice cold fino to finish it off. Nyom.

Before Island Fusion on Woodland rd, it was... I can't remember the name, we had a NYE there once, but it was one of very few places in London that did Cruz Campo on draught...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#132 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

Before Island Fusion on Woodland rd, it was... I can't remember the name, we had a NYE there once, but it was one of very few places in London that did Cruz Campo on draught...

Cafe ABC - I'd forgotten about that place.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#133 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

Island Fusion is no more - we noticed it had morphed into something else yesterday, can't remember what its new name is.

#134 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hmmm..the curse of having no natural light and being just off the triangle I guess. I've always thought that place would only work as a wine bar. It needs to embrace the darkness rather than pretend it doesn't exist.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#135 Clare M

Clare M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Tamnang Thai - We have been a couple times, the food is ok, made for farang, but in no way authentic, The restaurant is very pretty and there is great attention to detail, colourful umbrellas, reliefs on the wall etc. The staff are immaculately dressed. Some of the waiting staff are pleasent, some are plain rude, one man in particular is so unfriendly, time and time again, he really brings the place down. In a nutshell lots of style but no substance, which is a shame as after having spent years in Asia I would love to eat good Thai food locally. We go to Brixton village  - Koa sarn for very good Thai.

Edited by Clare M, 25 January 2013 - 02:01 PM.