Photo

Gautama Bar

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Gautama Bar (24 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Good (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

3. Average (8 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Poor (6 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 thekraken

thekraken

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:12 PM

No sports shoes = I am definitely now going (we aren't in Croydon). What they worried about? Me going for a jog on the bar?

#17 teri267

teri267

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:30 PM

Went for a Sunday afternoon pint (or two) with Mr Teri.

Plus points - the outside terrace is great! Big and yet enclosed and nicely laid out. The service was friendly. Although a bit 70's chintz, the decor was ok. I also liked the little 'booth' seating inside. Nice Jazz music playing.

Downside - ladies toilets not that great. Clean, but only 2 cubicles and one was out of order. It's just shy of 4 a pint and they only have one lager on draft!

All in all I liked it and will go again - next time will be for a girlie night out - the ultimate test! :D

#18 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:39 PM

popped in saturday whilst waiting for me take away cuzza. Loved the decor ! However drinks selection was a bit poor ,dont mind paying over the odds but it is nice to order something that you like. Asahi lager only 3.90 pint

Is it me by every place that has had this building since the puzzle has had a poor front sign or name this one reminds me of the Ann Summers logo !

Dazza

PS Curry was great !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#19 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:58 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head Dazza regarding the poor frontage. I've not been inside so can't comment on the drinks, interior, service, toilets, atmosphere etc. but when we walked past yesterday, my partner said it looked like a pole dancing bar :blink: . It's really not hard to create a decent frontage, so why do so many places get it so wrong (c.f. Yak & Yeti for another place that has fallen foul of this)?
Mel, Forum Moderator

#20 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:30 AM

3.90 for a pint of lager?

Hmm. Might be a while before I venture inside if that's the going rate. Would have to be a spur of the moment decision!

#21 martin_e

martin_e

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

3.90 for a pint of lager?

Hmm. Might be a while before I venture inside if that's the going rate. Would have to be a spur of the moment decision!

Or 80 for a bottle of whiskey... which seems a little optimistic in a recession.

We went in about a week after they opened and the bar staff were friendly - if a bit lacking in confidence. The decor is lovely, but their taste in music and video is set to lowest common denominator...
I'd hope they do well as it's a lovely space, and the terrace is easily the best outdoor space for a pub in summer.

But I doubt I'll be handing over that many 3.90's myself...

Edited by martin_e, 23 March 2009 - 06:56 PM.

#22 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

I went in there once, but found the music awful, and thought nearly 4 a pint was too much for a bland lager.

#23 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

I went last night with a couple of friends (all well behaved ladies in their late 30ies - early 40ies) and my first impression was actually quite ok. I thought the decor looked better from the inside than from the outside, a bit dated, but well. But again the designers didn't know how to deal with this huge space. If it's not banging full you feel a bit lost in there...

After my very first impression, my second impression was "oh my god it's so hot in here!" The heating system is an air condition system, meaning that rather than having radiators on the wall, hot air blows out of a huge hair dryer right in your face. Absolutely awful. I asked the guy behind the bar if he could switch of the heating as it was actually quite pleasant outside, but he said no, he could turn it down a bit, but of, NO WAY... As we were the only customers in there I thought that was a bit odd, but well....

One of my friends came to meet us straight from work and hadn't eaten anything, hoping she would get a boll of chips or the like in there. But they didn't even have one bloody peanut! No crisps, olives, nuts what ever, nothing. When she asked if she could pop in next door and come back with a bag of crisps the lad said: "Of course you can go out and buy something to eat, but you can't bring it in here. This is a bar, not a restaurant, Darling"... To this not only sexist but also really really arrogant and sarcastic answer another friend of mine went off like a rocket. Asking the guy how he could answer in such a way. He went for a fight rather than just to apologies...

Then over the evening the guy gave the wrong change :blink: and played the same dodgy CD for over the 3 hours we were in there...

All in all, in my opinion by far the WORST PLACE IN THE TRIANGLE!!!!!! :angry:

Edited by misspoddy, 03 April 2009 - 02:12 PM.

#24 clive

clive

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:30 PM

We went to Gautama a couple of weeks ago. It does look far better inside than out but there were only four people in the whole place, and this was around 8pm on a Thursday. I'm all for supporting new businesses but with that few people it had all the atmosphere of an aircraft hangar. If this place was in Clapham it'd be rammed but in CP in the middle of a recession I can't see it lasting more than six months. I really think they need to sort out some special offers or put on some food to get more punters through the door.

#25 Petal

Petal

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:54 PM

I went there for the first time on Thursday evening ...have to say i was slightly shocked at the lack of drinks on offer. Only one drink on tap...a Japanese lager. I asked about the food situation and the barman said they will be starting to serve within the next few weeks and believes it will be mainly Egyptian food . It's all rather confusing i feel what with the name , the retro nightclubby decor and Egytptian food!

Saying all that though i think it looks really rather smart inside and a fabulous back garden .It would be my first choice on a summer's evening without doubt. I really hope it becomes a big success.

#26 Simply Me

Simply Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

I've moved out of the area (sob!), but went into the triangle today and I took a look inside. I though it was lovely! Very plush. It was dead though and that was around 6ish. I noted that they'll be having a speed dating night, so I'll attend for a laugh, and I'll also be back there one Sunday or Sheesha!

#27 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:00 AM

***tumbleweed***
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#28 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

went in there sunday night - had a excellent 4 piece jazz combo playing - good atmosphere - could have done with a few more bodies in there - service was friendly and efficient - apparently live music is going to be a regular sunday night thing - think its worth a spin for thiose who like live music

#29 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

We also went in on Sunday. As well as the live jazz later, from 4-8pm house wines, bottled beers and something else I forget were two-for-one. We even saw one couple get their cocktails on the house because they had to wait five minutes for them.

I really think this place is trying hard and we hope it stays.

#30 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

The jazz sounds a welcome addition - good on them!