Photo

Gautama Bar

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Gautama Bar (24 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Good (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

3. Average (8 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Poor (6 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:04 AM

We went there yesterday eve - unfortunately it's quite empty in there..... they had a 3 piece Jazz band in there - the woman had a FANTASTIC voice (very Nina Simone) - we had some great Mojito's (at a resonable 6 pounds each) - shame that there are not more people in there.
The garden looks good and the terrace is ok to sit for smokers - there are some electric heaters on the terrace

I will be back

...palacegirl
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#32 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:47 AM

Great! Did I not see a menu in the window too? Food until 7pm or so?

#33 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

Apparently the food menu is a little deceptive as it makes it sound as if the food will only be available until 7pm. In fact you can get it later, but it will be at the higher price on the menu after 7. I gave the food a try the other night and although the menu's fairly simple it's fresh, healthy stuff, and they gave us a few bits and pieces on the house.

I rather enjoyed the chance to sit out in the garden in the sunshine - it's a nicer space than some of the other pub gardens in the area, and they have sensibly kept the changes that Sheckys made to it. Since I was a bit down on the place when they first opened, I should say that I've a much more positive impression of the place after going back a couple more times. The music has been more varied than the 80's pap I heard the first time. If the live jazz going to be a regular fixture I'll definitely go and have a look.

#34 danielm

danielm

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:08 PM

Went in there yesterday and had food in their beer garden. The Turkish food is really good!

#35 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:15 PM

Anyone been/going to the speed-dating event? Next one's on Tuesday, apparently!

#36 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

We sat in the garden yesterday, it was absolutely lovely! Plenty of shade for the wimpier amongst us, but plenty of sun spots too. The food looked good, but we had the half price cocktails which were pretty good (not quite on a par with Numidie or Ex Rooms, but the French 75 champagne cocktail I had was rather special) .

#37 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

There is a particular female bar person whose serving style leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, she is the rudest and most arrogant bar person I have ever had the displeasure to be served by.

Some of you may find her face familar if you go in as I have seen her working at the White Hart and the Bridge House Tavern. Seemingly, she didn't last long at either of those establishments. Did the attitude have anything to do with it!

#38 crystal01

crystal01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:45 AM

In reply to Charlottes remark... I have had the pleasure to see another lovely addition to Crystal Palace The Gautama bar has added class and a wonderfull beer garden to the triangle, and to my delight I have found one of my favorite barmaids working behind the bar I hope you where not making a rude comment about her as she has been nothing but lovely to me and others, maybe you should consider if you treated her fairly. Good luck in your future visits.

#39 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:55 AM

I don't know if we are speaking about the same person, but this individual has been consistently rude everytime I or my partner have been served by her. Plus, a number of friends who have been served by her independantly from us, have also noted her dismissive and rude manner. Incidently, all of us are female who have noted her manner, perhaps she turns on the 'niceness' for the male customers?

I pride myself on having a very amenable nature nd I always treat bar people fairly, having been one myself in the past. In fact I'm normally quite chatty. I just think that in this economic climate, good service is key to a place surviving, and due to this person's behaviour, I will not be going to Gautama again.

#40 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

I am pretty sure I know the lady you are talking about - currently managing the Guatama. She can be a bit fierce at times - and certainly doesn't suffer fools - but she is also great fun and runs a tight ship.

I don't think she has any gender bias. I rather like her, and hope she stays around. She always makes me smile (but then I have a penchant for strong characters).

Edited by Summit Lover, 05 July 2009 - 10:41 AM.

• Reubydoo likes this

#41 Reubydoo

Reubydoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:44 AM

Went there with my best friend and mrs reubydoo to celebrate the Ashes on Sunday night and also to commiserate with him that we weren't able to use our tickets for play on Monday. Still, it was an Ashes win to celebrate and so we started off in the Grape and Grain, which is a fine establishment with impeccably friendly staff.

Then 'er indoors decided she wanted cocktails, which my mate thought might be a shandy or snakebite and black (he is from rural Essex and breeds chickens 'for fun' and doesn't really get out much 'cos of the kids innit) and so she dragged us both off to Gautama Bar. What a pile of toss. How can you charge 7.50 for a so-called cocktail which involves a surly barmaid pouring two types of drink into a glass without a cocktail shaker in sight and produce something that is barely cold and palatable? The bizarre thing was that mrs r wanted to stay to see if it got any better but as there was a weirdo in the garden at the back drooling at Chicken George and trying to engage him in conversation, there really wasn't much to keep us there....but stay we did for another couple of rounds, which helped me realise in my rather inebriated state that this ought to be added to the list of overpriced and overrated places in CP (e.g. Exhibition Rooms, Joanna's). Am now resolved to drink in the G&G and occasionally in Westow House and eat either at Mediterranea courtesy of il favoloso Efisio or at Viva Goa for authentic Goan food (rather than the guff they call Goan fish curry in YaketyYak and Yeti).

That's (possibly) my ranting done on VNF for another year!

#42 primosan

primosan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

With some shrewd management this place could be SO much better. It undeniably has the best garden in Palace but the drinks are far too expensive. 3.90 for a pint is not acceptable. Maybe they want to attract the more moneyed clientelle, but this aint Clapham. All they are doing is putting people off from a return visit. Had food here on a gorgeous sunny afternoon. Perfect setting. But the food only arrived after an hour and 2 complaints. No apology was made. Food was incredibly basic. Of a standard you'd expect in a greasy spoon cafe, not a place that is trying very hard to be sophisticated. I will await news of improvements before returning.

#43 danielm

danielm

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

I don't know what you ate, primosan, but every time I've been in here I thought the quality of the food was excellent. It feels extremely unfair to bracket it with a "greasy spoon" - especially as it isn't very greasy.

#44 primosan

primosan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

I think I made the mistake of choosing western rather than more eastern fayre, so fair comment. I stand by my other criticisms though! ;)

#45 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

Was passing last night and saw that they have a Wii set up on Mondays... Yes it was empty, but that just meant we had the whole place to ourselves to play Sports Resort - Brlliant. Still only one beer on tap though.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter