Photo

Gautama Bar

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Gautama Bar (24 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Good (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

3. Average (8 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Poor (6 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:59 AM

This is becoming a little bit of a favourite. Been twice recently on week nights, including yesterday - the dreaded Monday. Very friendly service, relaxing al fresco wining. And you could add an h to that if you'd had a bad day at the office.

Might go again tonight. :o

#47 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:20 PM

This is becoming a little bit of a favourite. Been twice recently on week nights, including yesterday - the dreaded Monday. Very friendly service, relaxing al fresco wining. And you could add an h to that if you'd had a bad day at the office.

Might go again tonight. :o

It is lovely in the garden - I do agree :)

#48 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:10 PM

I've been a couple of times recently as well, and it's growing on me. I still don't think the shape works well, but the atmosphere is welcoming and the food looks ok too (haven't tried it yet).
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#49 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

To answer previous moans about the price of a pint in here, I have had several audiences (not because of VN - as cool as that would have been) with the person who owns the exclusive rights to brew and distribute Asahi in the UK and told him it was too expensive for the Palace but was the only lager on tap in a nice local bar that needed to attract custom. He said there was nothing he could do, it's not been a good couple of years for the brewing industry. But he hopes we like it and said to tell you they scored high on Asahi's owner's global scale of reproduction excellence. I forgot but there, I've told you now.

#50 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:04 PM

And we went again tonight! ;)

#51 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:25 PM

Finally got round to going here for the first time today. Just popped in for a pint after a walk around the park in the blazing sunshine. We were tempted in by the promise of the beer garden, which I remember from the old Puzzle days. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by it. It's much airier inside than you think it will be, given the dark, lap-dancing facade.

It was hard to tell whether the way the space was done out really worked as most people were sitting outside. I guess it's probably good for dancing on a Saturday night, which is when we'd avoid it like the plague. For an afternoon or midweek drink though, I would recommend it. The staff were really friendly, both when we were ordering and as we left. I had a pint of Asahi, which was tiptop although expensive as others have commented. The perfect tonic for a hot day though. We sat in the garden, which despite being pestered by greenfly was very nice. The clientele was quite young - mainly 30s and the menu looked decent if you are after a burger. Those who were eating had mainly finished up so can't comment on whether the food looks good. Would definitely give it a whirl for lunch though.

If you haven't been, don't be put off by the exterior - give it a go, it's actually a really nice place.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#52 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:02 PM

This place doesn't sell any Guiness!

#53 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

l went past tonight - looked mighty closed for a fri eve

#54 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

I noticed tonight that it had closed, there is a sign in the window for planning for minor changes but couldn't see what all of it said but could only make out the word 'dance'
Looks like the windows are being painted up so probably a new opening rather than a closing.

#55 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

Looks like it has properly closed down now and the sign has gone. Always seemed very busy on a Weekend but maybe that wasn't enough to keep it afloat, did seem to attract a certain crowd which have gone to the Black Sheep now as there was a fight going on outside there last night on my way home.

#56 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

That's a shame. Wasn't my kind of bar (anymore, or maybe ever, not being much of a stiletto & lycra wearer) but always a pity to see a place close.

#57 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

Looks like it has properly closed down now and the sign has gone. Always seemed very busy on a Weekend but maybe that wasn't enough to keep it afloat, did seem to attract a certain crowd which have gone to the Black Sheep now as there was a fight going on outside there last night on my way home.

Yes it’s a bit odd. When it opened a couple of years ago in the depths of recession it was struggling to get custom and was even pretty empty at weekends but for a while now it’s been pretty busy, at least at weekends and they had enough dosh to put up fancy signage.

Do you know what the licensing notice stuck in the window the other week said?

Maybe they lost their license. Usually when a business closes down they don’t bother to paper up the windows and take the sign with them it just remains closed with an ever growing pile of letters.

Edited by Norwood lad, 19 March 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#58 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

The licensing notice said application for performance, music and dance. Seems that they were expecting to get the new license rather than lose the old one as the windows were masking taped ready for painting. Indeed a bit odd. That little bit of Westow Hill looks neglected with that, its next door shop and South East Thai opposite all boarded up.

#59 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

hope we dont gave contagion in CP - The Cambridge caught something off of Dejans - looks like Guatama might have caught something off the Cambridge

#60 Blunders500

Blunders500

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Anyone got a contact for the new bar? I think its called 25, but not sure?
Thanks