Photo

Great India

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Good (3 votes [33.33%])

3. Average (3 votes [33.33%])

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:27 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Great India
24 Westow Hill, Crystal Palace, London SE19 1RX
Open (Days tbc) 12pm-2.30pm, 6pm-12pm

Web: not available
Email: not available
Phone: 020 8761 1515 and 020 8761 4161
Fax: 020 8761 0400

#2 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:26 PM

Upon moving to Upper Norwood in 2000, the most important thing to do was to find a "local" curry house. Great India won, fairly easily actually, and has been receiving the benefit of my custom ever since. I really should pay by direct debit. Nicer than Golden Tiger, which I go to when I'm feeling embarrased about how often I am going to Great India. Palace Spice has always disappointed me, too often the curries tasted soapy. The takeaway beginning with "s" on Church road was okay, but they seemed to take it as a personal slight that I was ordering food from them so much that their grumpiness lost my custom.
Anyway. Thats my curry review. Unfortunately my gym review isnt as comprehensive... !

#3 DaisyGrubber

DaisyGrubber

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:00 AM

The takeaway beginning with "s" on Church road was okay, but they seemed to take it as a personal slight that I was ordering food from them so much that their grumpiness lost my custom.

That's Shelina. I reckon they're generally the best curry in Crystal Palace. Their naan bread is rubbish though.

#4 croesus

croesus

• Sponsors
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 02:44 PM

I got a takeaway from them recently. It was good, but not great, and the veggie selection is surprisingly limited, which is an issue for us. It also took over an hour to arrive, and this wasn't at a peak time. My quest for the ultimate veggie curry takeaway continues...

#5 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:36 PM

Croesus (or should that be Collina?),

Don't know if you've tried it but my veggie GF always rates Gurkha Cottage.

And for the perfect veggie curry experience try Kastoori in Tooting. Even I rate that and I'm a carnivore. ;)

#6 croesus

croesus

• Sponsors
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 05:46 AM

I agree about the Kastoori - I went there a couple of years ago and the food was delicious and quite unusual. More East African/Indian mix than classic "Curry House" stuff. The guy who runs it is really friendly & evidently passionate about the food he sells.

I've been given hot tips for Gurkha Cottage, Palace Spice and East Dulwich Tandoori. I'll give em a try and report back.

It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it! ^_^

#7 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 05:02 AM

Went there last night it was OK the Lamb Madras was great vegetable & rice OK
But they have the most expensive Pint of Carsberg £3.70 I have come across which comes from a tin as well.

Sorry not bad but still Palace Spice is my favourite.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#8 littlepop

littlepop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 10:43 AM

Having tried most of the Indian places on the triangle, can definitely say that Gurkha Cottage is the best. Their sag paneer is fab and you get a free glass of some dodgy sherry to start your meal off!

#9 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 10:54 AM

Having tried most of the Indian places on the triangle, can definitely say that Gurkha Cottage is the best.

Perhaps you could comment here. In the reviews section each restaurant has it's own topic - this one is for the Great India restaurant. If it is a general discussion about several restaurants please consider starting a new topic in the Entertainment and Activities section.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#10 sampilger

sampilger

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:39 PM

I'm distraught! What has happened to my favourite Indian restaurant in the Palace? Great India is now called 'Cuisines of India' and has a new logo, menu and what looks like new owners. Anyone tried it under the new regime?

#11 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:19 AM

Was going to try "Great India" last Wednesday but didn't go in as it looks like they bumped prices up and as you say it has changedd hands or at least names,
Eneded up in Golden Tiger (see note elswehere) and was disappointed.

My advice is stick to Palace Spice or Gurkha Cottage.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#12 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:47 AM

Great India has closed and the restaurant is now known as Cuisines of India.

European.vote - EU Referendum