Photo

Pizza at the Palace

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Pizza at the Palace (24 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (11 votes [45.83%])

Percentage of vote: 45.83%

2. Good (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

3. Average (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Poor (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:40 AM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Pizza at the Palace
70 Westow Hill, Crystal Palace, London SE19 1SB
Open Sunday to Thursday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Open Friday to Saturday: 11:30am - midnight

Web: http://www.pizzaatthepalace.co.uk/
Phone: 0208 670 1786

Notes:
Formerly, Pizza Express
Old review thread
Restaurant changes discussion thread

Edited by MattVN, 06 January 2010 - 04:35 PM.
Update business hours

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#2 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:29 AM

Here's a first - not a review of the restaurant but of the website - which does nothing to allay my fears that a well-functioning brand has been taken over by a team that may be finding it's not as easy as it looks to get every aspect of the restaurant business right. Or maybe they don't think branding matters, and that a dated-looking, badly written website does the job well enough. Maybe they're right. Will reserve judgement until I've had a meal there.

#3 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:19 AM

Thats a bit harsh. Who cares about the website? I usually find after I've eaten cyberfood, I'm still left hungry. On the other hand, I've always found the staff and management here to be very helpful and welcoming, which isn't always the case when you're with the kids.

I imagine most former patrons will continue to go because the management is exactly the same. They've also been telling customers for a few weeks now about the forthcoming change. I'm more likely to go in fact, as its supporting local businesses - particularly those who have been around a long time. Also, Pizza Express could have closed it at any time, to reign in their horns during the recession, so I'm glad that its now fully owned by management who have a stake in this particular restaurant succeeding.

#4 SallyClaire

SallyClaire

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

I agree. As I said before on the other thread, I was concerned at the loss of Pizza Express as I'm a PE fan and it's one of those establishments like Cafe Nero and Waitrose, etc which usually signifies a nice area. However, if anything has changed, it's for the better as the menu is more extensive but retains all the Pizza Express favourites (albeit renamed) including some of those dropped by PE a few years ago. I went on a Saturday while it was still Pizza Express and back the following Friday after it had changed to Pizza at the Palace and there was absoloutely no difference in quality. The staff are very nice too.

#5 miss_g

miss_g

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:55 AM

Here Here.
I thought it was lovely. I didn't even notice to be honest!

#6 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:03 PM

They've also been telling customers for a few weeks now about the forthcoming change.

It was a surprise to me cos I hadn't heard anything about the changeover (and was a regular). Still, sounds like most people who've posted haven't noticed any difference, so good news and Sloppy Joes all round. I'd love to know the full story though.

#7 Andy_M

Andy_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:49 PM

Had a really good meal there a couple of days ago. Also liked Pizza Express, and this is an improvement as the menu is extended with old Pizza Express favourites (was very happy to be able to have the Cajun again). Level of service just as good as before, maybe slightly better as they were maybe making an effort with customers who may have been slightly reticent due to the change of brand.

Like most others who have responded, see this as more important than how nice the website may or may not look. Yes it probably is a first to vote a restaurant poor without actually having visited it.

#8 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

I didn't vote the restaurant 'poor', just said the website was dated and badly written, if you want to, um, bring it up again.

I don't want to make a meal of this.

#9 James Bass

James Bass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:46 PM

Fair play to the proprietors for finding their own niche but I'm sorely missing the quality guarantee of Pizza Express which PATP just can't deliver on. I've been there three times and on each occasion the dough has been too squidgy and thick compared to its clone master. Cheaper ingredients, it seems.

Also, I miss the Etna pizza along with the rest of the Romana range. And the Theo Randall pizzas are gorgeous.

I hope Pizza Express open up another branch locally one day.

I'm skipping straight to the PE in Dulwich Village or trusty, friendly Lorenzos these days if I want a trusty, reliable pizza.

In fact, if Lorenzos could do a decent spicy pizza in the style of an Etna or a Diavolo, they could have a new #1 fan!

Edited by James Bass, 08 April 2009 - 09:47 PM.

#10 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:59 PM

Finally visited Pizza at the Palace and was pleasantly surprised. I had a Cajun and it was nice, though I agree with James Bass that it would be nice to have the spicy old favourites back on the menu - they're the ones I usually go for too. What did stand out was the service, which was very friendly and efficient. And the twofers just keep on coming! Will definitely go back.

#11 nico

nico

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:56 PM

you know what? I think the pizzas (and they do take away) from Il Ponte are the best in the Palace, if not the best I've had in London... (that's not forgetting Il Baccio in Stoke Newington which is up there too.)

#12 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

you know what? I think the pizzas (and they do take away) from Il Ponte are the best in the Palace, if not the best I've had in London... (that's not forgetting Il Baccio in Stoke Newington which is up there too.)

So why not post that in the Il Ponte thread?

As for Pizza at the Palace, I think that the place is pretty good. R had a decent hot and spicy pizza there recently, and I chose a mixture of ingredients to make my own perfect pizza. The service was v good, and I have always loved the surroundings. My only v slight gripe is they need to alter the cooking or the dough base mixture a tad to make the centres as crispy as the outer edges they are not soggy by any means, but could just be a wee bit crisper in the middle).

#13 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:39 PM

first time at pizza palace...difficult with lorenzo across the road but something called us there for a light lunch...garlic bread, antipasto and a couple of salads... really good!

#14 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

The first time we went we really enjoyed our meal - lovely fresh starters and yummy pizzas - and we were given a BOGOF voucher. Went again on Saturday evening and forgot to take the voucher. Tried again last night and were reminded that it wasn't valid on a Bank Holiday! Food was just as good, but I just think the service could be a tad more friendly and welcoming.
aka Pie

#15 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:55 AM

We went last night - the first time since it changed over from a pizza express to an independent one.
The pizzas are to die for - we both chose Roman-based Pizzas - really thin based which is great for people who hate eating lots of crusts.
We also had an offer we had taken from their website 2 for 1 deal - the offers on until friday.

Very impressed.
Yummy
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com