Photo

Pizza at the Palace

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Pizza at the Palace (24 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (11 votes [45.83%])

Percentage of vote: 45.83%

2. Good (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

3. Average (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Poor (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 vickyp

vickyp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

Went last night with my toddler, service was excellent and the food was great, even the kid's pasta which can be appalling in some places. Massive portion of icecream, he couldn't finish it off!

#17 Duke

Duke

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

We've used this restuarant for years and can't fault it for a place for a reliable fast meal. Like others, we were initially a little concerned when the change over happened but with the continuity of management and staff that concern soon faded.

Not all Pizza Expresses are equal, despite the perceived assurance that a chain can imply. Try the Pizza Express in Streatham for example - nothing like as good as the CP branch was, and is under the new name.

#18 gipsybabe

gipsybabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:52 PM

Hi, we went on Friday , they are currently offering a voucher for 2 for 1 until Jan 31st on their website. The pizza's were the best pizza we have had in an age. Fresh ingredients. Cooked just perfectly. Lovely friendly waitress. Have alwasy found this to be the best pixxa place around. Highly recommend.

#19 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

Decided on a whim to pop in here last Friday night as I realised we hadn't been there for ages and just wanted to say how nice it is in there!

The staff were so friendly and helpful and the pizzas (especially the Romana :wub: ) were just amazing. I was nicely busy so we decided to sit near the back and there are some lovely pictures of the old Crystal Palace on the wall and it was great watching all your food prepared practically in front of you ^_^

Best pizza in the Palace now for me :)

#20 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

Went there for first time a few weeks back with my brother and it was the best pizza I have had in a restaurant for ages. Great choices! :P :D

#21 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Yes, it's a lovely place - I've never been disappointed. Much better than Pizza Express from which it originated.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#22 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

The pizza base middles were a bit soggy last time we went - have they mastered the art of making them crispy now? If so, will make a return visit.

#23 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Ah - there we have a real point of difference SL - I like pizzas with some sogginess...
opposed to taking terrapins.

#24 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

have to concur with Andreas - a bit of flavoursone gooeyness in the middle is my just reward for the boring crispy stuff round the outer - normally eat pizza crust first right round the outside and once circumnavigated then go inwards towards the melting pot of pepperoni anchovies cheese or what have you lurking on the event horizon!

#25 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

Have no probs with a melting pot of decent cheese (anything with mozarella should be binned forthwith!) and anchovies/tomatoes/chillies/uber spicy salami/peppers/'erbs/etc.. There is a tiny chain of pizza/cider in the West Country that is packed with local meats/cheeses/chillies/vegetables and it is growing like wildfire - if it can make it as far as Crystal Palace with local ingredients (Good Taste cheese and meat) it would be unbeatable.

nb - still like a crispy base, even if the toppinsg are sumptiously gooey!

#26 h_scholes

h_scholes

• Sponsors
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

We go to PATP regularly with our two littlies and they love it! The staff are great esp. when it's one of the kids birthdays. In fact the staff seem to take everything in their stride and are always welcoming. It's not the most varied menu, but there's always something good to keep the adults happy too and the lunch deal is good value for the adults - shame they don't do a lunch deal for the kids menu too :)
Overall, highly recommended.

#27 Nikkibells

Nikkibells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Lovely pizzas and service with a smile. I am regular of both dine in and takeaway.

#28 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

Oh really? I thought it was some Pizza Express clone/chain. How are the sizes? I always thought Pizza Express pizzas are a bit on the small side? I'm intrigued...

#29 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

Oh really? I thought it was some Pizza Express clone/chain. How are the sizes? I always thought Pizza Express pizzas are a bit on the small side? I'm intrigued...

It was a Pizza Express but the manager (owner?) broke off and went his own way. Similar in some ways to PE but different in others.

As for Pizza Express pizzas (which I am a fan of) they are indeed smaller in size than some of the huge, deep pan, stuffed crust items offered by some chains but they seem to use good quality toppings and plenty of them so I always feel full after tucking in.

#30 Mani77

Mani77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

We've eaten here a couple of times - the first under the misapprehension it was a Pizza Express. In fact if it is a part of the chain, they have personalised it and made it a different experience. Both occasions were for early evening meals - just a pizza each and half a bottle of wine for my partner and I - and the pizza was on a par with (maybe slightly nicer) than Pizza Express. The service is just delightful though - funny and charming owner/maitre d' who wants you to have a nice experience, even if it's not a special night. If we had a bigger group of friends locally I'm sure this would be a regular Friday night hang out. As it is I'm sure we'll come back every couple of months for a cheap and fun night out before hitting the CP triangle pubs.