• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 trixie

trixie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:11 PM

I've been trying to get a pictorial collection together for my children/grandchildren of places where their grandparents/great grandparents etc lived. My Dad was born in 1913 at 104 Gipsy Hill, which was somewhere on the bit where the petrol station & flats now are. Does anyone know when the buildings there were demolished? My Grandad's occupation on my Dad's birth certificate was "Upholsterer", and I'm wondering if 104 was among a row of shops where they might have lived upstairs. Any help/suggestions welcome!

#2 andybod

andybod

Time-zone challenged

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:02 PM

I've been trying to get a pictorial collection together for my children/grandchildren of places where their grandparents/great grandparents etc lived. My Dad was born in 1913 at 104 Gipsy Hill, which was somewhere on the bit where the petrol station & flats now are. Does anyone know when the buildings there were demolished? My Grandad's occupation on my Dad's birth certificate was "Upholsterer", and I'm wondering if 104 was among a row of shops where they might have lived upstairs. Any help/suggestions welcome!

I'm also interested in the same thing. My Dad grew up in a house "somewhere between the Shell garage and the fish shop" before moving to Sunray Avenue, and would love to see any old pictures of that part of the Hill.
Andy Bodycombe
Freelance Photojournalist
www.andybodycombe.com

#3 trixie

trixie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:59 PM

I've still not come up with any info, but still (occasionally) searching. Let us know if you find anything.

#4 malcolmjanes

malcolmjanes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:08 PM

Trixie / Andybod,

Have you tried 'www//landmark.lambeth.gov.uk'
Lots old old photos of Norwood and other parts of Lambeth going back to 19th century.

Spent many hours looking and remembering parts that I left behind 45 years ago.

#5 andybod

andybod

Time-zone challenged

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

Trixie / Andybod,

Have you tried 'www//landmark.lambeth.gov.uk'
Lots old old photos of Norwood and other parts of Lambeth going back to 19th century.

Spent many hours looking and remembering parts that I left behind 45 years ago.

Thanks Malcolmjanes. Just found a image on http://landmark.lambeth.gov.uk showing the building my Dad lived in just up from what's now the Shell petrol station. Never realised there was a dairy and so many shop fronts on Gipsy Hill back in 1912!

Andy

Edited by andybod, 19 November 2009 - 07:38 PM.

Andy Bodycombe
Freelance Photojournalist
www.andybodycombe.com

#6 Toadburger

Toadburger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:07 PM

Thanks Malcolmjanes. Just found a image on http://landmark.lambeth.gov.uk showing the building my Dad lived in just up from what's now the Shell petrol station. Never realised there was a dairy and so many shop fronts on Gipsy Hill back in 1912!

Andy

This is a good photo of Gipsy Hill in 1912, but it has been wrongly captioned. The view is actually looking down Gipsy Hill towards the bottom, as if you were driving towards Dulwich. I shall try to inform the website.

#7 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

This is a good photo of Gipsy Hill in 1912, but it has been wrongly captioned. The view is actually looking down Gipsy Hill towards the bottom, as if you were driving towards Dulwich. I shall try to inform the website.

You're right, it confused me at first - a great photo though.
aka Pie

#8 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

Great site! Does anyone know if there is something similar for Croydon? I am trying to research the house of Col. Gouraud living in 55 Beulah Hill in 1888. Any ideas? Sadly enough the Luftwaffe has been there before we did, so nothing to see...

#9 Toadburger

Toadburger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

Great site! Does anyone know if there is something similar for Croydon? I am trying to research the house of Col. Gouraud living in 55 Beulah Hill in 1888. Any ideas? Sadly enough the Luftwaffe has been there before we did, so nothing to see...

Have you seen the drawing of Colonel Gouraud's house, Little Menlo, at

www.webrarian.co.uk/crystalpalace/crystal05.html ?

Croydon does have a good website: www.croydononline.org/history/photographs.asp - not many photos shown, but you can email the Local Studies Library, which has thousands.

#10 Mrs Oswald

Mrs Oswald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:33 PM

It wasn't the Luftwaffe who demolished Little Menlo. It was standing until the 1960s or so, when it was replaced by the present buildings. You couldn't see much of it from Beulah Hill, though, as it presented a mostly blank wall to the road. The house faced the other way, presumably in order to take advantage of the stunning view.

#11 Mrs Oswald

Mrs Oswald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:48 PM

P.S. This website about old cylinder recordings,

cylindersontheweb.angelcities.com/rare_record

has photos of Little Menlo taken from the garden and from the street shortly before its demolition. Inexplicably, the caption says it was on Northumberland Avenue, London, but this is wrong.

#12 CPAndy

CPAndy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:24 AM

Andy

I'm trying to find where my father lived on Gipsy Hill too. He lived there when he was small and remembered the palace burning down so that dates it but I have no idea of the address. I live on Gipsy Hill myself now but was born Up North where my parents moved to so would love to find out it was the house I am in now. What borough would it have been in the 30s as I know libraries have street records but I don't know which library those details would be held. Any help from anyone please.

#13 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:00 AM

No idea I'm afraid CP Andy.
With reference to Andybods mention of shops on Gipsy Hill, I remember seeing a photo in The Railway Bell last time I was in (some years back) of the houses, now flats, opposite the kebab shop and shell garage( the ones that are all painted white, on the left as you walk down Gipsy Hill). They were all shops on the ground floor level.

#14 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:10 AM

I'm trying to find where my father lived on Gipsy Hill too. He lived there when he was small and remembered the palace burning down so that dates it but I have no idea of the address. I live on Gipsy Hill myself now but was born Up North where my parents moved to so would love to find out it was the house I am in now. What borough would it have been in the 30s as I know libraries have street records but I don't know which library those details would be held. Any help from anyone please.

Hi CPAndy, it would be either Lambeth or Southwark. I suggest asking at the Upper Norwood Joint Library in Westow Hill and taking it from there. You could also try typing your father's surname and "Gipsy Hill" into Google as quite a few old street directories are on the internet now.

Edited by andreas, 15 December 2010 - 07:10 AM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#15 HarveyJ6

HarveyJ6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

Hi Trixie,

My Mum and her family lived at 108 Gipsy Hill during the war. After a land mine was dropped on the railway immediately behind the house it became unsafe. The family moved to 49 Victoria Crescent and laterly to 51 Victoria Crescent, where I spent my early childhood. I remember 108 being there in the late fifties but not much after then. As I remember it was a tall 4-5 storey house as were the immediately adjoining properties. My grandfather who I never knew was Thomas Spooner a builder and decorator who in fact owned the land behind 108. There was a cottage, some garages and his workshop and store. I used to walk past 108 on my way to school at Woodland Road. My uncle Fred Medhurst also owned the electrical shop next to Gipsy Hill Station. I still have vivid and fond memories of living in Norwood.As far as I remember there were no shops at all in the row of houses 108, 104 area.

Edited by HarveyJ6, 24 February 2011 - 09:08 AM.