Photo

A Torre (Restaurant)

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (106 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (68 votes [68.00%])

Percentage of vote: 68.00%

2. Good (24 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

3. Average (5 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. Poor (3 votes [3.00%])

Percentage of vote: 3.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:36 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

A Torre
19 Westow Street, London SE19 3RY
Open Monday to Sunday 12pm-11pm

Web: www.atorrerestaurant.co.uk
Email: not available
Phone: 0871 811 1491

If you would like to comment on the A Torre café please use this topic...
http://www.virtualno...?showtopic=2886

European.vote - EU Referendum

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:08 PM

Been here once - loved it.

The service was great and the guy was very chatty. Love the food, I had swordfish, which had been barbequed and was delicious.

I would go back there like a shot.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 10:20 AM

No matter how bad the weather outside, step inside A Torre and its like being on holiday!

The friendly owner and his family will always greet you with a smile, and the basic interior with its Mediterranean wall paintings and pictures immediately warms the heart!

The menu offers some excellent fresh fish dishes in very generous portions (don't eat beforehand!) and at very reasonable prices. Tilapia, swordfish and sea bream? all delicious. The chicken piri piri is hearty and fiery, the flaked cod and potato is very tasty, and and the clam starter also recommended. Oh and the steak wrapped in parma ham is also lovely.

Overall, for authentic Portuguese cuisine in a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere you cannot beat A Torre!

#4 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 04:13 PM

I've been here once - my meal was lovely, but my boyfriend had tuna which he admittedly ordered rare but was just barely seared on the outside and cold and wobbly in the middle.

We should have just sent it back and got them to give it another couple of minutes - but we were British and ate it anyway.

Rest of the meal and the place was great so the moral of the story is go to A Torre but don't order your tuna rare!

#5 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 04:20 PM

I've been here once - my meal was lovely, but my boyfriend had tuna which he admittedly ordered rare but was just barely seared on the outside and cold and wobbly in the middle.

I luurvve my tuna like that. Same way I have a steak. But if you don't you should be careful ordering (especially with our Continental brothers).

Speaking of which, I was in a restaurant in Greece once and ordered fried chicken. The waiter asked how I would like it done!
Despite liking tuna and beef rare I draw the line at bloody chicken. :o

#6 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 05:00 PM

I luurvve my tuna like that.

eww, yuck! :P

I don't have a problem with raw fish (big sushi fan) or super-rare steak, but I think you've got to have really top-end fish to serve it that uncooked.

Still, I don't hold it against A Torre, I agree it's a matter of taste.

#7 princesa

princesa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 01:14 PM

I think it's the best restaurant in CP.

I had a party the other day and I can't complain it was brilliant!!!!!!!! And the best was that it didn’t cost me too much.

I strongly recommend it :D

#8 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 04:46 AM

Welcome to VN princesa! Glad you enjoyed A Torre. I love it but for some reason I can't persuad the GF to go again. I'll keep trying . . .

#9 JGX

JGX

• Sponsors
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:37 PM

One of the very, very best restaurants up in CP. Extremely friendly, great atmosphere and superb food. A real gem.

JGX

#10 Angel607

Angel607

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 11:52 AM

I'm interested in this resturant. Could anyone give me a rough price of a three course meal with wine for 2? Thanks.

#11 Papillon

Papillon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:56 PM

Agree with everyone's reviews saying how good the food and the service is but my partner and I went last Saturday and although the tip was already included in the bill ( one of us noticed this the other didn't) they would have taken a further £5 from us when we were about to pay. So please just check your bill before you pay to see if the tip's already included!

#12 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:08 PM

We were there also on Easter Saturday, (Papillon, which table were you? - there weren't that many of us there on that evening!) enjoying a meal for two we had bought last year at a charity auction, generously donated by Artur, the owner.

We enjoyed the food - all very authentic - and can heartily recommend the house red, which is very good. Service was excellent.

Will definitely be returning.

#13 buffalox

buffalox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

Great restaurant! Excellent service and excellent food - flaming chorizo for me!

#14 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:05 PM

Buffalox were you in there on Saturday afternoon (the cafe one next door)? There was a guy having flaming chorizo just as we left. He was sitting with two ladies.

#15 buffalox

buffalox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:30 PM

Buffalox were you in there on Saturday afternoon (the cafe one next door)? There was a guy having flaming chorizo just as we left. He was sitting with two ladies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hehe! :D No it wasn't me - haven't been back for a month or so now - unless the ladies were very attractive, in which case... :blink: ...maybe it was me... :rolleyes: