Photo

A Torre (Restaurant)

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (106 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (68 votes [68.00%])

Percentage of vote: 68.00%

2. Good (24 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

3. Average (5 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. Poor (3 votes [3.00%])

Percentage of vote: 3.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:57 PM

Every time i pop in here for a delicious bite to eat (and the best coffee on the triangle too ?) its virtually empty. Likewise whenever i pass it too. Even at lunchtime. i agree with gekko and buzzybee that it does not look enticing from the street...dark (in a bad way) and not cosy at all, even though its very friendly.
I'd hate to see this place go as its by far my favourite place for a snack, foodwise.
Perhaps the advent of a new supermarket will help ?

Just realised this thread was for the restaurant, not the adjacent cafe, which is where i was commenting on.

Edited by loplop, 13 February 2006 - 10:00 PM.

a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#32 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:26 PM

Moderator's Note
Please put any further comments about the new cafe on this new topic rather than here which is for the restaurant only. This will ensure that the poll continues to reflects people's view of the restaurant and doesn't get confused with being about both places.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#33 yesfitness

yesfitness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:51 PM

:P :D :)

Great service and friendly atmosphere. The patron will always offer you what you want and aims to please. Every meal that we have had has been enjoyable and there is an excellent fish menu.

#34 HellH

HellH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:59 PM

this restaurant is top quality and i love da food.... i had da seafood soup once and i absolutely enjoyed it, da chef makes really delicious food and i always go when i can.

by the way, dis restaurant is run by my uncle and his family.
Da chef is also my uncle.

:D :D :D :D

#35 josbangs

josbangs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:15 PM

Been here three times now all varying in terms of service and food quality.

1st time we went with friends, the food was well cooked and delicious. The service was excellent and very friendly.

2nd time was mid-week - food was lukewarm and the fish soup was a disappointment. It was quiet but felt rushed through our food.

3rd time - we took some friends along Sat evening, v busy needed to book, was hoping that the mid-week experience was a one-off but again my meal was lukewarm - some of the clams were unappetising.

Overall - I think that the owner is lovely and the ambiance on a Sat is great fun, however the lukewarm food was disappointing, maybe I should of stuck to the flaming chorizo!

#36 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:48 PM

I'd been meaning to go there for ages... just got back from my first visit and I'm VERY impressed. The service was friendly without being overbearing and the food, the food!! Fantastic! I had the fish stew - beautiful! All of us there today will be returning. I'm just annoyed that it took me so long to get around to visiting.

#37 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 01:32 PM

a big thank you to a torres from yesterday...
between the storms we were treated to sardines and green soup
followed by a selection of seafood enough for two people and some fine
liver and onions...

fine food indeed

#38 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:35 AM

went here for the first time last night (with another meat/fish lover!) and the food i have to say was absolutley lovely. I had the Portugese Paella (which is in a stew rather than dry) and i couldnt finish it because there was so much to get through.... yummy though.....oh try the flaming chorizo...you will know what i mean when it arrives at yer table!!!! ;)
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#39 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:49 AM

The flaming Chorizo is most assuredly flaming.

Mrs Uncle Wilf and I went here again a couple of weeks back and it was very good. Very good service and very good food.

The red snapper is worth a try.

They only do the paella for 2 people? is that correct? I will need to persuade by better half to join me in this venture as I am not that craven to manage it for myself.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#40 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:42 PM

No the paella was for one person in a pot.... £12.65 - a bargain also want to try the stew they do....mmmmm im hungry!!!
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#41 Angeles

Angeles

• Sponsors
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:42 PM

You should also try the mixed fish and seafood platter, I think I had never tasted fish so fresh in London.

#42 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:46 AM

Went here again last night and had a lovely time. I had the Cataplana, which is a fish stew in a copper dish - mix of white fish, squid, clams and mussels with potato, peppers and tomato. It was delicious. The service, as usual, was impeccable.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#43 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:44 PM

Finally went here last Saturday. Service was excellent, atmosphere nice and relaxed, though didn't really need the football on the big screen at the end of the room (I tried not to look, but its very hard, even when England are playing that badly!).
Starters were v nice (fishcakes/prawns). I tried the cataplana for main as it had been recommended, but I'm afraid it didn't do it for me - I found it quite bland and unappetising. It wasn't dislikeable, but it just didn't do it for me. Mrs matt had a meat dish which was nice but again, nothing special. Maybe we just don't "get" Portuguese cuisine - we had our honeymoon there years back but were generally disappointed with the food then as well. But as I said, I can't fault the service at all. But all in all, It felt like a bit of a waste of a babysitter really... erhaps I just chose the wrong thing off the menu, but I felt like I should have gone next door for a recce instead, as instructed by Uncle Wilf last week!

#44 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:14 PM

Have to agree with you Matt - went here a while ago and was really looking forward to it as had heard such good things but like you found the food a bit bland and tasteless - I had the cataplana too. My partner had something different and didn't rate that particulary either. A nice family run and freindly place but I wouldn't dash back for the food

#45 Angeles

Angeles

• Sponsors
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:05 PM

As a matter of fact it is my favourite restaurant in the triangle in terms of food. The food tastes very fresh, so fresh that you don't need spices or other additions to add flavour or camouflage the lack of freshness (this is not a critic to spicy food).

I accept, however, that this type of food may not be for everyone's taste. I'm a seafood lover and maybe that is the reason why I like so much the food in this restaurant.