Photo

A Torre (Restaurant)

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (106 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (68 votes [68.00%])

Percentage of vote: 68.00%

2. Good (24 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

3. Average (5 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. Poor (3 votes [3.00%])

Percentage of vote: 3.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 OG_Mudboom

OG_Mudboom

• Pending Removal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:19 PM

I'd like to add that Torres is also my favourite retaurant in the triangle...possibly the world! They're such a lovely couple and the food is always spot on. Have taken to having my friday lunch in there at a superbly reasonable 6.50 for a lunchtime special meal and a beer. Why? I hear you all scream in unison...because my native feeding ground of Canary Wharf offers you a pathetic sandwich and bitter coffee for that amount, but here I can languish at my leisure amongst a mediterranean (inspired) backdrop and enjoy the calm friendliness of the restaurant (sans l'enfants). A* from the mudboom. :rolleyes:
Either they don't know, don't show...or just don't care what's going on in Norwood.

#47 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:20 PM

This was my 3rd time at A Torre (Saturday after the Opera in the Park with 2 friends) and I must confess that the first two times I was not impressed but this time I want to give them top grades for the food, portions and service all excellent.

I had some pork and it was delicious, portions were abundant (even too much for me) and the guy who was serving us (never seen him there before) was very very nice, very helpful and knew his business.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#48 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:50 PM

I went the other week and they seem to have a couple of new staff in there. They were extremely friendly and helpful as was the manager, as always.

The food is not bad here although I think the desserts let them down a little. Most of the desserts seem to be bought in rather than homemade and the 'homemade chocolate mousse' has a strong resemblance to Angel Delight! With more and more competition, I feel they need to up the standard of the food a little now to compete with places like Mediterranea.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#49 Tuesday Girl Ventures

Tuesday Girl Ventures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:40 AM

:lol:

Visited for the 1st time time last night, and was enjoyable

They have a specials of the day menu, and had the Calamari off of that, which was divine. Also had the 'flaming sausage' which is a sight as well as a taste...
Then onto a Steak/bread/ham and cheese meal with chips, only complain is it got a big sickly after a while, as was dresssed in a tomato spicy sauce

The service is pleasant

#50 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

Went back last Friday night with other half and it was again very pleasant the wild boar kebab was delicious.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#51 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:50 AM

Been in here twice lately...

Would thoroughly recommend the Monkfish stew. It is rather large but take the rest home with you.
Very good food and friendly service.

A local restaurant to treasure.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#52 williams

williams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:19 PM

Consistently very good here, has been for several years now, though found cataplana monkfish a rare disappointment. All else vg. Seafood rice at lunchtime (about 5) is one of the areas best lunches. Especially with a half of house dry white and an afternoon off.

#53 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

Went for dinner here last night - And it was very tasty as usual.

They are advertising a Fado night this Thursday, if anyone is interested.

#54 Spike

Spike

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:03 PM

Just had a meal there this evening to celebrate Mrs Spike's birthday. This was the first time we'd been there and were very impressed. As others have said, the service was great - both friendly and efficient. The food was good. I had the Dover Sole and it was to die for. I'll give it 11/10!

The only disappointment was the dessert. For a start, the dessert menu itself made me raise my eyebrows. Laminated menus with pictures on are a bit too much like Wimpy for my liking. And as for the selection - Coconut flavoured ice cream served in half a coconut shell? Oh come on, surely you can do better than that!

This was a shame, because after a fantastic starter and main course that had been freshly cooked, it was disappointing to finish off with plastic stuff that had been bought in and served straight from the freezer. That said, overall we had a very pleasant evening.

#55 Muffy

Muffy

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:00 AM

Last night was our second visit to this place. My partner loved the meal. Mine was less successful (not well seasoned meat and over cooked veg!)
Nice wine and friendly staff so would go back again. It was really busy so I recommend booking at the weekend

#56 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

Had lunch there today and last week. As always. very friendly service and a nice relaxed feel. Also, they're efficient and fast!

The food was a little hit and miss the first time - a starter of mussels was disappointing as the shellfish had been frozen (I think they're usually fresh). My "mountain salad" was little more than some rocket, parmesan and tomato - which it what it said on the menu but it there was just something depressing about it.

Starters the second time were much better - the delicious shrimp pasties and salt cod croquettes.

We had bacalao for mains both times and it was delicious. Huge servings.

#57 Lorlorkins

Lorlorkins

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:47 PM

Visited here a couple of weeks ago and it was really, really good. I had a very tasty fish stew, with some excellent scallops. My fellow diner loved his dry cod and vegetables. So friendly and welcoming - we got there just before closing, and they were incredibly kind to allow us to eat there. Would definitely recommend.

#58 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:02 PM

My other half and I went here on Saturday night and it was absolutely lovely! We both had the flamed chorizo to start which was so tasty (and on fire :o ) and then he had a kind of steak sandwich in a tomato sauce (sounds weird but was actually extremely tasty) and I had the monkfish cataplanas which was so full of fish, chorizo, potatoes and other veg that I just couldn't finish it. It was one of the nicest dishes I have ever tried and would recommend this gem of a place to anyone.

#59 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:17 PM

I quite like the food in A Torre, and they certainly give more than generous helpings, and the service is lovely and friendly. The only downside - and one that has stopped us going in on more than one occasion - is when they have footie on.

#60 lauratilli

lauratilli

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:05 PM

We LOVE it here! Been a few times now and it is always amazing. Great food, interesting menu, quick friendly service & warm, welcoming atmosphere- what else do you need! I even tried the special which was octopus! Delicious. If you haven't been you are missing a treat!