Photo

A Torre (Restaurant)

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (106 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (68 votes [68.00%])

Percentage of vote: 68.00%

2. Good (24 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

3. Average (5 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. Poor (3 votes [3.00%])

Percentage of vote: 3.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 williams

williams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

Still reliably very good and I must praise the Frango Assado, flattened and barbecued small half chicken. The flavour is good; apparently they get them in from Portugal as chickens in the UK were too watery. Specials on board are usually worth trying.
Ask about what comes with the fish, they can be "enthusiastic" with their tomato sauce. Specials at lunch with chips and salad or vegetables still under a fiver.
The rather posher Octopus baked in Oven option with vegetables was excellet and tender.
VG House white and Red options by Borba co-op

In reply to an earlier thread
Usually the footy, if on, is without sound, and limited to the biggest games eg Chelsea v United. Plus there are tables where you cant see the TV

Host couple are friendly and the espresso is vg as well

#62 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:16 PM

A Torre remains a friendly and reliable local restaurant well worth a visit. The food is good and service is very good.

For those of you who like things on your table to be on fire (it makes me feel very adequate) the flaming chorizo is very good, and the red snapper is good.

It deserves repeated visits and remains with the mighty Palace Spice as one my favourite outlets in the triangle.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#63 Bootiful

Bootiful

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

This is one of my favourite restarants - I love the simplicity, fresh ingredients and lovely staff. It's a family run business and they all work so hard to make sure you are well looked after. I agree, the portions are enormous (especially the Cataplana (fish stew)) - the calamari, liver and flaming chorizo marvellous starters. The house red is tasty and cheap and you'd be hard pushed to eat and drink so well for so little elsewhere is Palace. The last time I went, me and hubby ate starter and main each, a few drinks each too and it was under 35. Genius!

#64 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

You can't be knocking the tilapia fillet with chips and salad for a fiver. Quality. A fine local restaurant with excellent value.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#65 lepiff

lepiff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:18 AM

Lovely evening at an almost packed A Torre. The specials are great, you can't go wrong with the swordfish!

#66 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

It was packed in there last night - took my visitors there and had a brilliant meal ! 3 starters and mains, bread&butter, 2 bottles of red - £70 ... not bad going I thought. I couldn't finish my main though, the starter was just too much on top of it.

My friends had the chicken & the pork, I went for my favourite, the steak on the hotstone. yummy - especially when you can cook it to your liking ....
down to earth and welcoming.,I will be back soon, this place never let's me down. Not fancy or anything, but that's absolutley fine !
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#67 Marti

Marti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

Invited my family over (from North London!) to join me for my birthday here and had a great time on a nice lazy Sunday afternoon.

Great food and doesn't cost the Earth and good staff, nice to see older people who care serving rather than young trendy air heads like so much of CP!!!

#68 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

....Great food and doesn't cost the Earth and good staff, nice to see older people who care serving rather than young trendy air heads like so much of CP!!!

Eh? I like A Torre, but I think that service in most of the restaurants in CP is pretty good. Being young and trendy does not equate to bad service.

#69 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

Not sure where you're eating Marti but none of the places I frequent in the Palace employ airheads :huh:.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#70 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

Paid a visit with my wife last night on the occasion of our wedding anniversary.Haven't been in for a while but,foodwise,it maintained it's great quality and quantity.I had the Suckling Pig and Sars the Paella,both spot on.

Tiny gripes about not being able to get a glass of dry white wine and when I plumped for white wine spritzer it came mixed with bottled lemonade,which I've not experienced before.Bit sweet for my taste and not good substitute for club soda.Also,alas, a cold bottled beer arrived with a freshly washed warm glass.
It was a monday,mid to late evening,reasonably quiet and perhaps they wanted to pack up early.

Service was delivered with the usual politeness.
Likes rock and roll,country and western and hip and hop

#71 Curzon

Curzon

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Mrs C and I finally managed to get along to A Torre the other night (though we hadn't booked, it was v busy and we had to wait for a table) - very good indeed, we stuck to seafood and everything was fresh and tasty. Service was good and very friendly - we'll be back!

#72 reilloc

reilloc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

My wife and I (along with other family and friends) have eaten in here several times and each time the food, wine and service have been superb and greaft vfm! We can recommend the swordfish, suckling pig, steaks and lovely portugese custard tarts. Service is always prompt (despite the restaurant generally being busy) and friendly. The only reason we dont eat here more often is that there are so many great food places in CP.

#73 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

Went here last week - first time in a long time.

Was a Monday night and restaurant was very quiet - however food was very good and we both enjoyed the food immensely. Would recommend and made a mental note not to leave it so long till the next time. 

#74 Karen

Karen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

Was caught out on a rainy night looking for a light supper and my husband and I walked passed the chalk board outside and thought, mmm calamari, seafood, yum!  On this particular evening, they even had tempting lobster on the board.  With keeping it light in mind, we managed to walk in and get a seat.  Very friendly staff seated us.  Service was prompt and the plates arrived in good time.  I know it's seafood, but I prefer red wine, I'm sure the boss raised his eyebrow when I choose a bottle of red though, but on price and description, it should have been reasonable.  One of the starters we wanted had finished, so we opted for crab claws in garlic and I had calamari.  The lovely waitress did warn us the crab claws would be a bit messy, not a problem, but unfortunately, the garlic sauce overwhelmed the taste of crab.  The calamari I had was not very pleasant.  The batter had an after taste and the calamari could have been frozen for all I know, it didn't taste soft and tender as I prefer.   We had eaten earlier so went straight to the cheeseboard.  Which consisted of a rather unpleasant hard cheese, a bland soft but the chunk of edam-tasting cheese was fine.  The accompaniment was ok.  Sitting in A Torre reminded me a bit of Lorenzo's because of the great staff and atmosphere.  This little place seems pretty popular with people, so I just want to say, this is just my take one a first but likely last visit.    

#75 Magnolia

Magnolia

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

Has there been a change of ownership? I've been a couple of times recently and its different staff