Photo

The Alma

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
94 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (11 votes [26.83%])

Percentage of vote: 26.83%

2. Good (17 votes [41.46%])

Percentage of vote: 41.46%

3. Average (6 votes [14.63%])

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

4. Poor (7 votes [17.07%])

Percentage of vote: 17.07%

Vote

#76 alma

alma

• Sponsors
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:26 PM

hey Charlie,

is it true that the BBQ from the market is there every weekend during summer? When is it on ? Sat and Sunday?

The backyard is looking so much better with some nice plants - never liked coming to the Alma I have to admit, but I will now come and 'road test' it, especially as you have got a great outdoor area!

palacegirl

:rolleyes:

Hi Palacegirl

The BBQ from the market will be every weekend from Friday evening (weather permitting).

Also after the positive feedback from stall holders and visitors at the first two markets, we've decided to hold one every Saturday with different stalls every week, along with some regulars.

:)
Charlie
charlie@thealmapub.com

#77 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:33 AM

That's GREAT news!

#78 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:03 PM

Great news - well, as the White Hart is slacking, you have got a very good chance to pull this off - good luck, I'll support you ...

:rolleyes:
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#79 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:10 AM

The Alma is now a fine hostelry well run with a comfortable smart yet still unpretentious interior. The Garden Market is excellent.

Well worth a visit... Not a peice of gaffer tape in sight.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#80 Honey_dip21

Honey_dip21

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:38 PM

I agree...the Alma has changed for the better...I avoided it in the past but now I would feel comfortable popping in there for a drink...plus the market is great! :)

#81 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:52 AM

Hi Mods

I wonder whether it would be an idea to start a new poll on the Alma. It's improved so much recently that it's a pity seeing how its ratings are dragged down by the deadweight of votes for how it used to be. Just a thought. Cheers
opposed to taking terrapins.

#82 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:33 AM

Yeah, good call Andreas, I'd second that call - it has changed considerably since the original poll and many of the ratings were given.

Edited by jannism, 20 June 2008 - 08:34 AM.

#83 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

I'm going to get a bit technical now, but how about deleting any vote on any poll after 12 months? That way you get a rolling 12 month total which will give a better indication of its "likeability"... If the functionality exists that is!
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#84 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:59 PM

We'll sort out a new poll sometime soon

European.vote - EU Referendum

#85 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

Finally made it to the Alma for a late drink - we were admittedly a little tipsy when we arrived, however, the girl behind the bar was absolutely brilliant, she made us girls feel very welcome and was highly entertaining.
It was great to have live music in there too - we definitely will be back soon!
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#86 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:19 PM

Was here on Saturday and found it a bit of weird place. On the way in was accused by some stranger who proclaimed to know me and told me about his gay sexual exploits.....and kept on trying to touch my friend and I. And quite a few people in there that seemed like they had had a few too many herbal cigarettes.

Only good thing was that the manager eventually kicked out the mad weirdo who followed myself and friend around the pub.

It wasn't that busy either and didn't seem to have much of an atmosphere.

I was really disapointed as heard a lot about this place...If I don't find a nice pub soon between Norwood Junction and Crystal Palace going to have to hang out in Brixon.

Also went into the Albert - again a bit dead and got this drunk guy going on about seeing two friends die whilst he was in the army.

All I want is a nice pub - not a trendy bar place with great music etc. Like the Bedford Arms in Balham or Half Moon in Herne Hill....Any suggestions?

#87 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:02 PM

We were in there on Saturday and had none of the trouble you describe. It was our second attempt and we had a much better time than the first. It was nice.

#88 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:19 PM

Was here on Saturday and found it a bit of weird place.

... part of its charm! Minus the wierdo obviously, but CP attracts all kinds of funny individuals. Must be the altitude.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#89 Come on you Irons

Come on you Irons

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:15 AM

Well my head has been turned after my last visit. I had been there once before and hated it to be honest, but popped in after the market and quite liked it.

Sunray! maybe its you thats is the weird one attracting all these types!! The one in the Alma? He didnt go by the name of Dazza did he? I heard that this chap frequents this pub....

#90 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:21 AM

Sunray was just being polite, COYI. It was you!

I'll be in for a pint or two this weekend, that should alter the weird count one way or another.

I'm going to see if it finally grabs the top spot for best pub in Palace.