Photo

The Royal Albert

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (56 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (1 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

2. Good (19 votes [34.55%])

Percentage of vote: 34.55%

3. Average (24 votes [43.64%])

Percentage of vote: 43.64%

4. Poor (11 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 shamrock

shamrock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:11 PM

A very nice Sunday roast and friendly staff could do with decorating very dingy

#17 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:16 AM

I have such affection for The Royal Albert. I love Bernie and I love the fact that he makes the pub seem to belong to all his customers. If I need any kind of event or meeting, the place is always put straight at my disposal and the staff could not be more helpful or if I pop in for one or two, there are always friendly people in there with whom I can have a coherent conversation being heard and able to hear every word. As a place to go, I have notrhing but praise. I do not drink seriously though so do not know about the beer and I know that the house wine is undrinkable but on the other hand I have never tried to ask for any other wine. Actually I kind of like the bad wine as it stops my local becoming a ponsy wine bar!

To me, the Albert is one of my favourite things about the area and for me other pubs can come and go, but not the Albert! The only true community pub in the area.

#18 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:21 AM

Im glad to hear that the roast is still good, I have not been drinking up the Palace much as of late, but I am bringing my parents up there later on for a roast, and if it is as good as it was last time they wont be disappointed.

#19 cathyh

cathyh

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:43 AM

I was up at the albert last night and noticed a very large paddling pool in the garden.... never got around to asking about it but woke up this morning wondering what the story is... is this for the public?

#20 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

Fancied a sunday lunch yesterday and considered a few places but ended up at the Royal Albert as you just can't go wrong there. Also, as it was such a nice day, we were able to eat outside. Sunday Roast is £1 more expensive these days, but still a bargain at £6, and at least it remains substance over style, so if you're absolutely starving and like a good old fashioned Sunday dinner like your mom used to make, this is still the place to go.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#21 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:14 AM

... if you're absolutely starving and like a good old fashioned Sunday dinner like your mom used to make, this is still the place to go.

It's certainly one place you'll never see a "jus"... :)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#22 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:35 PM

It's certainly one place you'll never see a "jus"... :)

Or, god forbid, a 'foam'.

#23 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:53 PM

LOL, sounds like my wedding menu. I was typing up the guests' choices last week and every other word had an accent. It's full of jus, purée and velouté although we changed the dish that had the champagne foam :D.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#24 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

Went to the Royal Albert today for a Sunday lunch (haven't been since my last post in August). The place has been redecorated and new light fittings added - it all looks and feels a lot lighter and fresher than it used to, so thumbs up!
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#25 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:24 PM

The place has been redecorated and new light fittings added.

Whoa...! Never thought I'd see the day. :D

Follow me on Twitter

#26 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

I do quite like the Royal Albert - although it feels like more of an older man's pub overall (no offence moc!). I went to a wake there some time ago and the landlord out on a good spread. It is good to see places like this soldiering on over the years and not selling out to theme pub banality.

#27 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:35 PM

100% agree with Summit Lover. I love all the funky bars we do have on the triangle, but sometimes you just need a pint of beer and a packet of pork scratchings to while away the hours... :rolleyes:

Follow me on Twitter

#28 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

100% agree with Summit Lover. I love all the funky bars we do have on the triangle, but sometimes you just need a pint of beer and a packet of pork scratchings to while away the hours... :rolleyes:

Agreed. The Royal Albert remains a reliable boozer. Friendly and down to earth. No giant jenga to be found boys and girls. No truffle oils in sight neither.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#29 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:10 PM

Do they sell pickled eggs?

#30 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:15 PM

You know you're in a real pub when they serve roast potatoes as snacks on the bar. Or you get the seafood man come round. ;)

Follow me on Twitter