Photo

The Hope

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (4 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

2. Good (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. Average (4 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

4. Poor (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:18 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

The Hope
49 Norwood High Street, London SE27 9JS

Phone: 020 8670 2035

#2 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:28 AM

Pleasant little beer garden. Probably one of the best pubs in West Norwood area. No that there's much stiff competition.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#3 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:02 PM

There isn't any competition! I like the Hope. It's an old-fashioned boozer that does exactly what it says on the tin. And Siobhan, the manager, is lovely. :)

#4 Spike

Spike

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:07 PM

Sadly, the Lovely Siobhan left a few months ago and returned to her native Australia. It's still a great pub tho - a real local - where you can get a decent pint and friendly conversation. It get a bit cold in the winter tho.

#5 maddie

maddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:12 PM

Sad to say The Hope is atotally different pub compared to what it was previously :( The manager has not got the faintest idea what he is doing but it is nice to see an old face behind the counter tho................... :D

#6 sally brooks

sally brooks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:20 PM

We have been going to the Hope for many years now on a Sunday. My only real complaint is the TV, but then I generally hate them in any pubs! I feel the atmosphere in the Hope is not what it was.

#7 Spike

Spike

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:26 PM

I agree about the atmosphere. It seemed to change when Siobhan left, although she's back in the country and has been seen behind the bar a few times.

I was there the other evening and they seem to be trying to do something with the garden. A wall has been knocked down and the area is dominated by a large skip. I'm sure it'll look great when it's finished though.

#8 pgomm

pgomm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 05:52 PM

The pub has now been completely refurbished, but still maintains it's old character. The beer garden is a great place to drink in. It's been decked and has heaters. Very nice.

#9 maddie

maddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:21 AM

The lovely barmaid Sarah and her Partner Robin have done a wonderful job of running the Hope over the New Year, i hear that they are going to be running it very soon. They are the next best thing since Siobhan,like Siobhan they make it a warm inviting place to enjoy a pint.

#10 Spike

Spike

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:45 PM

The latest news is that Sarah and Robin have been offered the tenancy of the pub. This can only be a Good Thing.

#11 gruff

gruff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

Tonight at The Hope, Chris and Louis will be presenting Time Machine. An informal screening of 16mm and Super 8 film of vintage newsreels, featuring Howard Hughes, Amy Johnson, JFK, The Beatles, Che, and much more including a few oddities from the world of Super 8.

The screening is free and takes place in the newly finished garden from around 9.15 pm onwards.

Come along and enjoy a pint and some treats from yesteryear.

Chris & Louis.

#12 maddie

maddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

The Hope is certainly one of the greatest pubs in West Norwood now, Fabulous garden especially of a night-time and the beer is excellent,The live music is fantastic and I hope there is more to come for this gem of a pub.Robin and Sarah have succeeded where others haven't and I will praise them all the way

#13 JoJo

JoJo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:45 PM

Spent christmas eve in here. Blazing log fires, christmas decorations, roast chestnuts on the counter and a group of customers in the corner singing christmas carols accompanied by guitar. Fantastic, warm welcome from Robin and Sarah and a really good atmosphere. You could almost feel the spirits of christmasses past - no pun intended.