• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

I should have mentioned this before, but there is some building work going on at Clock House station, that exposed an older structure. The derelict shop at the side of the station was demolished, revealing the old side entrance, with its cast-iron supports and barrel roof (apparently hidden inside the later structure). At first I thought the old entrance was going to be reinstated, but it looks now as though a new building is being put up to replace the old one.

#2 mcleanmuir

mcleanmuir

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

If you go here http://www.beckenham...s/gallery2.html and select the Clock House album from the drop down menu and go to image 4 you will see what the Station looked like with the side entrance, there was another entrance for Coach and horses on the Sidney Road side of the station.

#3 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:10 AM

If you go here http://www.beckenham...s/gallery2.html and select the Clock House album from the drop down menu and go to image 4 you will see what the Station looked like with the side entrance, there was another entrance for Coach and horses on the Sidney Road side of the station.

Thanks for the link - fantastic images....

#4 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:29 AM

Great picture site. Couldn't believe Anerley. It was all shops! Plus the V1 site linked to was really interesting.
Nick, Forum Moderator

#5 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for that... but actually it was seeing your pictures of the station some time ago that got me interested when I saw the work being done!

#6 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

Beckenham Road area looked stunning with all those shops .... shame that mankind and its silly wars had to destroy them
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#7 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:29 PM

Beckenham Road area looked stunning with all those shops .... shame that mankind and its silly wars had to destroy them

Indeed, though if you look around Anerley station a lot of the buildings survived but the shops have gone. Many have been poorly (in an architectural sense) converted into homes or the quality of the frontages have changed. The railway station was removed by British Rail quite quickly to avoid a possible listing as I believe it was one of the oldest surviving (in use) station houses in London.
Nick, Forum Moderator