Photo

The Thicket Tavern

house music pumping on xmas d

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Good (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Average (5 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

4. Poor (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:27 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

The Thicket Tavern
75 Anerley Road, London SE20 8DQ

Phone: 020 8778 8383

#2 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:04 PM

This pub has been my local for the last 15 years. It's too smoky, very local, the beer's awful and there are often some rather unsavoury types biding their time there.

I can't seem to break free, though. It's like a home from home. Although I don't go there anywhere near as much as I used to (I used to live in a flat opposite), I can still occasionally be found, slowly pickling myself by the pool table with my extended family of ruffnecks and vagabonds...

<tubbs>A local pub for local people</tubbs>

#3 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:04 PM

Careful, you might tempt Uncle Wilf away from the Cambridge!

And welcome to the forum.

#4 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:02 AM

:angry:

Nothing's sacred nowadays.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#5 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:49 AM

Hehe, cheers.

The Cambridge, eh? Now there's a local pub for local people...

#6 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:50 AM

Yes if someone pops in there from Anerley, a strange man with his eyes set too close together wanders up to them and says "you're not from round these parts are you?"
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#7 GGG

GGG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:14 PM

Can anyone tell me if John Mogan and his wife Gina still run the pub?

Also - does anyone on here have the correct telephone number of this pub as I have found many different ones on the web.

Thanks

#8 mikecrystalpalace

mikecrystalpalace

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:51 AM

Nice enough traditional pub and was made to feel very welcome by the staff. The same can't be said of some of the regulars though which is why i have not been back since, and thats coming from someone who's run a bar himself. :angry:
The more i get to know people, the more i like dogs. (Oscar Wilde)

#9 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:16 PM

Its closed down apparently and going to be a residential development on the site - havent been in there for donkey's and looked and sounded pretty rough and ready but has stood there in Anerley for as lomg as I can remember and will be a loss to what remains of Anerley High Street I think

#10 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

End of an era. Only ever went in there once... which says a lot.

Topic closed.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#11 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

Tried to post this against the pub thread but its been declared closed and topic locked

Anyway - the pub is still standing and walking passed mid afternoon heard thumping housey style stuff going on - as far as I was aware the pub was closed and was going to be either converted into business use or knocked down. Maybe Fatboy Slim's got a stake in it!

Anyone know anymore?

#12 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:50 AM

Tried to post this against the pub thread but its been declared closed and topic locked

Anyway - the pub is still standing and walking passed mid afternoon heard thumping housey style stuff going on - as far as I was aware the pub was closed and was going to be either converted into business use or knocked down. Maybe Fatboy Slim's got a stake in it!

Anyone know anymore?

Sorry Chewie, well re-open the topic and move this post in case anyone knows.

#13 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

Looks like its a top rave spot now! The whole building is going thumpity thump and there's a small sign on the fence with a phone number if you want to get in. Friendly fellas leaning over the 1st floor balcony saying howdy as you walk past.

#14 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

Bromley council have put a noise abatement order up on the door addressed to the "occupiers" of the Thicket Tavern - lots of graffiti has appeared on the upper levels of the building - not sure if its being squatted

#15 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

The Thicket Tavern was purchased by property developers who have planning permission to convert the building into a 6 flats, plus a ground floor commercial unit (permission given summer 2011[link]).
The commercial unit is approved for A2 use, which means "Financial & Professional Services" which I think will mean occupants such as an estate agent or accountants. Maybe the profit is in the flats and the commercial unit is a token gesture, with the developer wishing to ensure the use of the unit wouldn't lower the value of the flats?

As it's currently empty it's a prime spot for groups looking for a site to hold a Christmas & New Years raves. Assumption is the current residents are telling the authorities they're squatting, but I'd guess it more of a temporary business than a squat. Sites like these get chosen because it's unlikely the police will intervene, and they should be gone before the developer has permission to forcibly remove them. That's assuming they're "squatting", maybe the developers are toasting a successful year?