Photo

Edo

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (80 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (47 votes [62.67%])

Percentage of vote: 62.67%

2. Good (24 votes [32.00%])

Percentage of vote: 32.00%

3. Average (2 votes [2.67%])

Percentage of vote: 2.67%

4. Poor (2 votes [2.67%])

Percentage of vote: 2.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:38 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Edo
18 Westow Hill, London SE19 1RX
Open Tuesday to Saturday 12pm-3pm, 6pm-11.30pm
Open Sunday 12pm-4pm, 6pm-11.30pm
Closed Mondays

Web: www.edolondon.co.uk
Email: not available
Phone: 0871 811 1494
Fax: 020 8670 6661

European.vote - EU Referendum

#2 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 11:42 AM

I love this restaurant - the service is great, the food excellent (especially the sushi which is so fresh - yum!) The owner is also taking customer feedback on board - he's reduced the harsh lighting for one, and has put blinds in the windows, making it feel less open and exposed. I'd really recommend Edo for dinner with friends too as the seats at the back are quite a laugh to get in and out of after a few sakes! :D

#3 bella

bella

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:35 PM

At last! we have a japenese restaurant, after years of crossing my fingers and hoping, that we the residents of crystal palace would have a complete selection of restaurants to choose from, along came Edo.

The food is excellent, well capable of competing with all of the japenese restaurants myself and my partner go to in Soho, in fact because Edo is smaller than some of the wagamama style eateries, i think the food is higher qaulity and the service is quicker.

I agree the ambience has been improved by lowering the lighting and adding blinds, but apart from that everything else is great.

I have been working my way through the menu, and so far i can say the bento boxes are value for money and filling, also the crab and shrimp dumplings are fab, the sushi is very fresh, and the tempura is just right, not greasy or stodgy at all.. all in all I am a very Happy young lady indeed.

#4 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:19 PM

ooh what a great review, I will definitely be visiting here very soon!

#5 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 09:51 AM

Very nice food, very efficient service (can't be bothered to rewrite my old review, sorry!).

But I wish they'd turn off all the stinky air freshners they've got plugged in! And maybe switch the air con down a notch or two. It makes it feel too cold and clinical, especially with the relentless pong from the plug-ins.

Apart from that, super. I love going there for the Bento boxes and some lovely Ramen.
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#6 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 12:09 PM

I was in here last night :ph34r: ...

My first time eating real Japanese food after years as a Chinese food addict and occasional sushi fiend - and it was a very pleasant experience.

I was a bit worried that the tempura would be a sodden mass of fat, but the seafood was perfectly cooked in a light ungreasy batter. Strange to get a side salad complete with mayo alongside my beef teriyaki though! :huh:

Got my eye on a Bento box next time... :)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#7 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 02:38 PM

Weird as it may seem, the Japanese absolutely LOVE their salad cream! They also like brown sauce. Very odd!
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#8 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 05:37 PM

How true belle! Mayo and brown sauce delicious on octopus balls and okonomiyaki! mmm...

Despite love of all things Japanese, haven't made it to Edo yet..must give it a try!

#9 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 05:26 PM

I want to tell people about the wonderful guys from Edo. :D :rolleyes: ;)
We (The Crystal Palace Community Association) held an event last week.
160 people bought tickets to attend a japanese meal in a beautiful house. We asked Edo if we could use their rice cookers as we needed such a huge amount of rice. When we explained that it was in aid of the local community association, they agreed. Then they offered to cook a few dishes for us. In the end they came to the house, supplied staff and cooked and served the most amazing food for everyone. NO CHARGE!!!

I really think they should be supported and welcomed as a brilliant addition to our community. We are going to eat there as often as possible; not much of a sacrifice considering how fantastic the food is and how lovely the owners are!

#10 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 05:49 PM

Ah that's lovely! I am definitely going there next week now! :D

#11 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:28 AM

Finally made it here over the weekend, can’t believe it has taken me so long, as I love Japanese food.

They seem to have sorted out some of the problems people have mentioned before– lighting much improved, it was toasty warm and no air fresheners!.

The order got a bit muddled up, but they sorted it out, and all the food was good. We had the crab and prawn dumplings which have been recommended and they were best thing we ate. I’d also recommend the sesame ice-cream –don’t be put off by the fact it is grey!!

However, it wasn’t amongst the best Japanese I’ve had in London, and nor was it amongst the cheapest, so although everything was fine I’ll probably stick to getting my sushi fix elsewhere.

#12 howdy

howdy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:40 PM

Wonderful food and service. This, with Numidie, is my favourite restaurant in the area. I fully agree with what others have said here regarding the way the owners are listening to regulars and making little changes here and there that serve to make the place better and better.

Hopefully it's going to be part of the community for years to come...

Edited by howdy, 29 June 2005 - 03:41 PM.

#13 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:47 PM

Just had to say howdy to howdy.

#14 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:23 AM

Anyone seen that plastic food they got in the window? I have to say that doesn't entice me..... I mean it is plastic isn't it?
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#15 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:39 AM

Having plastic food in the window is a very Japanese thing to do – in Japan they have big window displays of plastic food in loads of the restaurants (it is very handy for tourists because you can just point at what you want to eat!). There is a whole shopping district in Tokyo devoted to selling plastic food to the restaurants –you can go and buy a plastic memento of your favourite meal!