Photo

Edo

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (80 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (47 votes [62.67%])

Percentage of vote: 62.67%

2. Good (24 votes [32.00%])

Percentage of vote: 32.00%

3. Average (2 votes [2.67%])

Percentage of vote: 2.67%

4. Poor (2 votes [2.67%])

Percentage of vote: 2.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:26 AM

Having been marginally unimpressed on our first visit, we gave it a second try recently, and had a much better experience.

Could not find any fault with the sashimi or sushi and the value for money was pretty good.

The bento boxes were generous and tasty.

If they could just sort out the interior decor and lighting a little, we'd probably be there more often.

For any sushi-phobes, there are plenty of less intimidating items on the menu so I'd recommend giving it a try.

#32 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:03 PM

Like Chi Oriental, this place always seems to be pretty much empty even on busy days in the Triangle. I think that with both of them it comes down to decor. Both are cold and unwelcoming. If Edo put candles on every table, turned down the lights made it a bit friendlier in there, people would go.
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#33 Helen

Helen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:12 PM

We ate here for the first time last weekend and it was fantastic. We had never eaten Japenese food before and were so impressed. We had a mixed platter of sushi to start followed by sea bass in salt and crab and shrimp dumplings. All tasted delicious and very fresh. It was also busy (full - apart from a couple of empty tables in the smoking section at the front) which was great to see.
We will be back very soon!

#34 gabe

gabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:14 PM

Had a great meal here last week - excellent sushi and great service

#35 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:42 PM

Consistantly good - and the delivery service is excellent.
Love The Triangle...

#36 Mingusohyeah

Mingusohyeah

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:24 AM

Well, SueMingusohyeah and I went here last night and were very impressed. The lighting is more ambient than I'd been led to believe, and there were tealights on the table, so it looks like they read their reviews! We had the Chirashi Don (mixed sashimi on rice with miso soup) and the Pork Ramen and they were both excellent. The tables at the back are...interesting. Will be back soon.

#37 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:24 AM

I *love* this place!

It doesn't look impressive from the outside, it's frequently almost empty, but the food is fantastic. It was a really pleasant surprise to find authentic, good quality Japanese food out this way (we moved down from the centre of town last year) - I just hope they're doing enough business to stay afloat. The black cod is excellent, the tempura is delicious, the teriyaki dishes.. I could go on :)

The only thing I can fault them on is that if you want sashimi, there's not a whole lot of choice until you're paying something like GBP12 for six pieces (at least on the menu -- next time I go in there, I'll just ask...). A lot of places allow you 3 pieces for GBP6, that kind of thing. Also, overall it's a little more expensive than most of the places on the Triangle, but then Japanese always seems to be!

@ Mingusohyeah - I guess the tables at the back are intended as a compromise between the Japanese sitting-on-the-floor thing and the Western keeping-your-shoes-on thing. They used to have similar ones at Yo! Below up on Poland St., but not sure if they still do.

#38 Mingusohyeah

Mingusohyeah

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:02 PM

@ Mingusohyeah - I guess the tables at the back are intended as a compromise between the Japanese sitting-on-the-floor thing and the Western keeping-your-shoes-on thing. They used to have similar ones at Yo! Below up on Poland St., but not sure if they still do.

Yeah, but they make it difficult for a lady to get up from with her dignity if she's wearing a skirt that 's shorter than ankle-length... :blink:

Went again with SMOY and my sister - it didn't disappoint. When I've been paid I might visit once more.

#39 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

Gets a positive mention here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...n_feature.shtml

#40 Simply Me

Simply Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:48 PM

I really like Edo, but am worried it might close because it never looks full. I don't understand it either because the food is delicious.

#41 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:08 PM

I think the fact that from the outside it doesn't look like it has much atmosphere puts people off to be honest. It has a cheap and tacky look but if it smartened itself up a bit I reckon it could do good business.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#42 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:26 PM

I had a lovely take-away lunch from here one weekday last year but that is my only experience. So much food, I couldn't finish it.

I'm suddenly taken with the idea of going again and showing more support. They were great people, let me muck about with my order, the food was really nice and they should be busier. If we didn't have a Japanese restaurant here and one opened, there would be a thread saying "Oh, wow!" so let's support the one that's already showing the faith. I'm going again this week. :)

#43 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:47 AM

i havent been to Edo - but my japanese friend came over from north london with a few friends and went in there - they said the bento boxes were really good so i must give it a try sooner rather than later...

maybe have a VN dinner and drinks in there - they've obviously got some space for us all......and japanese beers rock!

Edited by twinkle, 13 August 2008 - 09:49 AM.

For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#44 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:53 PM

Kept my word and we had a take-away tonight. It was nice. It was on time, they let us switch rice for noodles but charged to swap it (perhaps the noodles cost more, I don't know as they're not officially an option on their own), and the bentos came with the miso soup, salad with a salsa-type dressing (sorry, don't know the Japanese for salsa - nor the English) and something else salad-esque and slightly spicey hot that we ate but didn't know precisely what it was. The noodles were big, fat ones. They were yum (teriyaki) and unlike Chinese, Thai or even German ones. I'm sure an expert out there can enlighten.

But, as opposed to my last bento from Edo, it didn't come as a bento box but in plastic and polystyrene boxes. Perhaps this was a home delivery issue because last time, I went in, ordered and literally took away myself and it was more traditional bento compartmento.

So anyway - all fine at Edo. Just needs to be busier but I know you can say that about many places. Hope to eat in some time.

Edited by Spoon, 14 August 2008 - 09:56 PM.

#45 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

had lunch yesterday...the only other time i ate there was a failure but probably because I chose badly...
but this time I was alone with the papers and I asked the waiter to choose for me... I think it was a bento box as mentioned above
and it was really good kit... very impressive... dont let it be said I wont try again after failure... EDO is back on the radar after a year or so...