Photo

Edo

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (80 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (47 votes [62.67%])

Percentage of vote: 62.67%

2. Good (24 votes [32.00%])

Percentage of vote: 32.00%

3. Average (2 votes [2.67%])

Percentage of vote: 2.67%

4. Poor (2 votes [2.67%])

Percentage of vote: 2.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 cat17

cat17

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

This is currently in the number 1 spot for takeaways in the Cat17 household!

#47 theandrewssister

theandrewssister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:58 AM

I wish I knew why this place isn't more popular -- it does some of the best food in the Palace. I suppose I should just be grateful that it somehow continues to survive, but I hardly ever see anyone in there and every time I go past I am surprised not to see a "To Let" sign. Admittedly the atmosphere is somewhat chilly -- but no worse than that of some of the (to me) inexplicably popular Triangle superstars.

#48 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:34 PM

I agree. Their sushi is the best and freshest i've ever had! We get take-aways quite a lot, so maybe that's their secret to success - the take-away market.

#49 Karen

Karen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:44 PM

I've seen the restaurants come and go in the triangle over the last 24 years and Edo has got to be one of my favorites.

Although the restaurant seems empty quite alot, they do a fantastic delivery service. The food is always immaculately presented, with adorable ganishing, as you would expect, and pleasant delivery people all the time. I'm a sushi lover, so this is my usual choice and I must admit I don't stray from my choice.

The Tabiko Scallop cut rolls with wasabe and ginger to clean the palate are child converting. Meaning that even my teenage son (and my northern husband used to traditional British fodder) has become a sushi fan thanks to Edo. He was delighted with the crispy and fun looking soft shell crab sushi as well as the crab and mango tabiko salad, what a treat. Admittedly a little more expensive than the average take away, but worth every penny.

By the way, I'm not getting commission, but Edo, if you want to send me a free delivery, please do!

Karen

#50 linktechnicalservices

linktechnicalservices

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:37 AM

tried the edo restaurant experience wasnt that impressed. expensive for japanese style food. all tasted ok

#51 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:36 AM

We had lunch at Edo yesterday. Restaurant was empty but it was quite early in the day.

The food was delicious. I had vegetable tempura and a sushi/sashimi bento box. My companion had tuna sashimi and rice and shared my tempura.

The tempura came as a huge helping of various vegetables, crisply battered and very moreish.

The sushi box came with miso, cold buckwheat noodles with a very pleasant cold stock/sauce bowl, and the sushi/sashimi itself (salmon, prawn, squid and a white fish) was good and freshly made. The tuna sashimi was of the highest quality - no gristle, messy cutting across the grain etc etc. Just pale pink rectangles of pink fish.

Japanese cuisine can be so wonderfully subtle and soothing and this was a good example.

#52 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:45 PM

Had yet another great delivery from Edo on Saturday night, 2 portions of Gyoza to help me get over my hangover, plus some sashimi and some edame beans. As usual fresh and tasty and only mildly spoiled by the fag ash that the delivery driver had obviously flicked into the bag on the way, lucky they cover the food before despatching it!

#53 Helen H

Helen H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:08 PM

we went to Edo for the first time last night and were utterly delighted by the place. Look beyond the front of the restaurant, because at the back they have created a lovely space which immediately sets up the mood for the evening. The food far from changed the good mood...the vegetable tempura consisted of the most delicate batter i've ever tasted...the sushi used the freshest melt in your mouth fish (mackeral particularly tasty).. Along with cod misoyaki which is grilled in a sumptuous soy/mirin sauce. Can't wait for next visit.....

#54 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:51 PM

Have been here twice recently, for weekend lunch. Love it! Great sushi, very soothing ambience, nice staff. Highly recommended - please patronise as it would be nice to have a few more people. But not too many.

#55 CupKate

CupKate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

I LOVE Edo. I can not get enough of the vegetable tempura cut roll sushi, It's amazing.. I usually order 3 or 4 and have nothing else apart from maybe a Miso Soup. Not that the other food isn't great, I just adore that sushi! I also love the seating, it feels really special when you get to sit traditionally, but can put your legs down, since we're not used to sitting on our legs we'd all have trouble standing up afterwards!
It is one of my two absoloute favourite resteraunts! The other favourite happens to be round the corner too! :)

Anyone seen that plastic food they got in the window? I have to say that doesn't entice me..... I mean it is plastic isn't it?

Sorry just had to chime in, that plastic food is awesome! Most resteraunts in Japan have them in the windows which is very helpful for foreigners like me who cannot read Japanese, and being vegetarian! I adore the fact that this little resteraunt in the Palace reminds me so much of the best holiday of my life. I would love to have my own little plastic foods on my windowsills :)

oh and another thing... I LOVE the plates, bowls and cups they use in Edo. I always want to steal them! I also love love love the little pot of wasabi peas you get before your meal.. mm I want to go back right now!

Edited by CupKate, 18 July 2010 - 08:35 PM.

#56 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

Got a take away from Edo on Friday - I haven't been for a long time, but now I will be back more often....

The usual take away food (chinese etc) does not agree with me - however, Edo's food is yummy :)
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#57 dmhawk

dmhawk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

I love Edo! Order takeaway from them often and also love eating in. I eat sushi quite a lot and this is one of the best in London yet definitely not as pricey as central london sushi restaurants. I think the fish is fresh and the rolls are creative. Also, love the tables at the back...very traditional. The music is always relaxing too!

#58 Archie

Archie

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:29 AM

Tried Edo for the first time last week.
The place always looks empty then you realise that everyone is sitting at the back on the lowered table. You sort of sit on the floor but there is a pit under the table to pur your legs so you dont get cramp!
Food was good, tried the noodle and beef soup, could have been a touch spicier but they soon bought me some chilli oil when I asked them.
Will go back.

#59 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:57 PM

I wouldn't mind trying some Japanese food, although I am afraid that the thought of sushi doesn't float my boat. I assume they do hot dishes too?

I have to say the decor inside Edo has never really appealed - all very minimalist and uncomfortable looking :blink:

#60 Archie

Archie

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:50 AM

Its not all raw fish and rolls of seaweed. They do a lot of cooked hot dishes as well.
Different noodle and rice dishes.
Have only been the once but would go again.