Photo

Edo

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (80 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (47 votes [62.67%])

Percentage of vote: 62.67%

2. Good (24 votes [32.00%])

Percentage of vote: 32.00%

3. Average (2 votes [2.67%])

Percentage of vote: 2.67%

4. Poor (2 votes [2.67%])

Percentage of vote: 2.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Aunty

Aunty

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

Had a take away from Edo last night and was so dissappointed I feel the need to say something. I've eaten in quite a few Japanese restaurants now and feel I can make a fair judgement - in my own opinion of course!

It wasn't all bad - the order arrived amazingly quickly and the sashimi was very good quality, fresh and well cut fish.

However, part of my order was missing. I'd already paid upfront online yet when I rang Edo was told by the person who answered the phone that I could have it 'next time'. As I was trying to swallow a very rubbery 'fish cake' with no fish in it at the time, I already knew there won't be a 'next time'!

The endemame beans had no crispness to them at all, seeming to have been cooked for too long, and came with no salt, although there was a very chemical sweet chilli dip. The sashimi was very badly presented, being shoved in a box with the scant salad acompaniments in a blob and with no ginger. When it turned up the green tea ice cream was excellent, but you can't really get ice cream wrong!

Furthermore, in comparison to all other Japanese restaurants and take aways I've been to, where the amount I spent would leave one happily full, the portions were very small indeed.

I won't be eating there again.

Edited by Aunty, 11 September 2010 - 03:36 PM.

#62 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:24 AM

I had a great meal there last night with my friends to celebrate my birthday - the food (all of our dishes) were great, the sushi rolls delicious and fresh tasting

the service was fantastic and they were real fun too :)

Forgot how much I liked it !!
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#63 Karen

Karen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 04:44 PM

I'm such an Edo fan and I've got a serious sushi craving. Grrrr! Bank holiday Monday and they don't open on Mondays :(

I'm never disappointed by the sushi. Ok, sometimes things go a little quirky, like asking for extra wasabi is a norm for me and it not being in there; the ginger has looked a little past its best; but generally, it's the sushi that always wins for me.

I get takeaway Itsu and Wasabi from the city regularly but they just don't have the same fresh flavor and texture that Edo manage. I forgive you Edo, but maybe it's time you pay a little more attention to your garnishings and requests. And the time your waitress tried to charge me 65 over the phone for a 20 order was a memorable blunder. If you can get past the little oddities, your bound to have a great tasting experience.

Big Fan!

#64 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Had great Sushi and bento meal here - lovely fresh food - can only recommend it. :)

#65 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

Lots of Edo for us. We love the Take Sushi, Dobinmiso soup, tempura and spicy tuna. Have never not enjoyed their food.

#66 Marti

Marti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

My wife and I have eaten in Edo since we moved here 8 months ago and love it!! During the week it seems slow with punters, but at the weekends it's busy. I believe they must make a packet with the take away, which we tried for the first time yesterday and it was as good as eating in !!

#67 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

I had a great meal here again last week - really can't fault it. Lovely service, smiles all around. Admittedly the interior is a tiny bit sterile, but the main thing for me is to get good food. The sushi tastes fresh and yummy - the noodle/bento dishes are great too.

Thumbs up :)

#68 raven1978

raven1978

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

I love, love, LOVE Edo. I walked past this place on a number of occasions, but a few years ago I thought I'd take the plunge, and what a delight it is!

I mainly opt for takeaway for our 'Sushi Wednesdays', but have been in the restaurant a number of times now. The quality of food is second to none, really fresh and always so delicious. The service is friendly, and they are very helpful if you're new to Japanese food, and need some help with choices/pointers.

I can recommend the Ramen Noodles on a cold day and when you're feeling under the weather; a great pick-me-up. The sushi is always a firm favourite along with the Black Cod Miso Yaki - yum-my! Pick anything from the menu and you won't be disappointed.

A big fan!

#69 cathyh

cathyh

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

had an unplanned dinner in here tonight... looking to eat something new we decided to take the plunge and visit this restaurant and are really happy we did so. Really lovely food, the sushi spicy tuna was to be fair only ordinary but the salmon bento meal was really lovely and my friends mixed sea food salad was great, wine was priced well and service was lovely. Also very well priced. Shame it is such an over looked local restaurant as the food deserves a loyal following... looking forward to returning to trying the ramem soups and noodle dishes. My new favourite local restaurant!!

#70 Jens

Jens

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

looked yesterday for a place to have a quick light dinner at the triangle, so I decided to try this place. The food is really excellent, well priced and the service is good.

True, the interior is plain, it has a bit of an office feel to it, just a little.

I will definitely be back!! :-)

Edited by Jens, 30 August 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#71 Heat Firm

Heat Firm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

I must say, I really like the food from Edo, I think they do takeaway too.

#72 Juicybiscuit

Juicybiscuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

Been there once on a quiet day early this year. Was freezing outside. Dirty wet towel on the floor by the door we nearly tripped over. Service was pleasant enough. Decor very tired. Bit depressing inside. Hand rolls were ok but avocado wasn't ripe. Rest of the tofo dish we had was pleasant enough. Yet to try any sushi beyond the hand rolls. Would contemplate take away sushi from there perhaps but the restaurant itself is a little lacking in atmosphere so would avoid.