• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 flash1969

flash1969

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:15 PM

This pub is close to where I live and have noticed that it is unusually quiet of late. The "beer tent" that had been erected seems to have ended up over the wall at the entrance to Betts Park, and the front fencing has disappeared. Never been in it, but wondered if anyone knows if it is still trading?

#2 mcleanmuir

mcleanmuir

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

This pub is close to where I live and have noticed that it is unusually quiet of late. The "beer tent" that had been erected seems to have ended up over the wall at the entrance to Betts Park, and the front fencing has disappeared. Never been in it, but wondered if anyone knows if it is still trading?

I am informed that The Mitre has shut. I better get along and get a photo of it.

#3 flash1969

flash1969

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for this - do you know if it's Credit Crunch related?

#4 mcleanmuir

mcleanmuir

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for this - do you know if it's Credit Crunch related?

I think it is a sign of the times for pubs. I am informed that 2000 have closed their doors this year alone.

There are some old and new photos of The Mitre here and then select Penge Pubs from left hand drop-down menu.http://www.beckenhamhistory.co.uk/flashNifties/gallery3.html

#5 adl999

adl999

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:13 PM

The Mitre has now reopened, but I noticed yesterday that the W G Grace pub next to Birkbeck station has now closed. On a trip through Catford, Lewisham, New Cross and Peckham the other day I noticed about a dozen boarded up pubs, so it does seem to be a sign of the times.

#6 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:37 PM

I'm sure the WG Grace was open when I went past last week - then yesterday it was boarded up. The fast-moving world of the hospitality industry...

#7 Crusader

Crusader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:42 PM

I think Grace's was due to shut anyhow for a re-furb, however, the metal boarding up of the windows looks very much like a permanent and law enforced shut down.

#8 mcleanmuir

mcleanmuir

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:59 AM

The Mitre has opened again and I am informed that The Grace is going to be a gastro pub.

The Queen Adelaide in Penge High St is shut and things do not look that good for the future.

The Market Tavern in Maple Road is shut but some building work is going on in there and I do not know if it will open again as a pub.

The Hop House in Maple Road is being converted into flats.

#9 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:14 AM

Just want to check what you mean by The Mitre and The Grace.
Are you saying The Mitre is reopening as a Gastro Pub called The Grace.
Or are has the Mitre pub (penge) reopened, and Grace's (next to Birbeck Station) is being converted into a Gastro Pub?

#10 mcleanmuir

mcleanmuir

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

Just want to check what you mean by The Mitre and The Grace.
Are you saying The Mitre is reopening as a Gastro Pub called The Grace.
Or are has the Mitre pub (penge) reopened, and Grace's (next to Birbeck Station) is being converted into a Gastro Pub?

The Mitre, Penge has reopened under the same name.

Grace's next to Birkbeck is, so I am informed being converted into a gastro pub. The "Grace" is the name many locals use for the pub. It used to be known as WG Grace. I am not sure when the pub originally opened but I would like to know.

#11 mcleanmuir

mcleanmuir

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:19 PM

I have been told that Graces is now open again. Can anyone confirm?

#12 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:40 PM

Nope, Grace's was still boarded up when I ran past this morning.

#13 mcleanmuir

mcleanmuir

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:12 PM

Nope, Grace's was still boarded up when I ran past this morning.

Is there anything going on at Graces yet?

#14 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

Is there anything going on at Graces yet?

I like the sedate pace of this thread, befitting the "local history" section. Looking forward to an answer to mcleanmuir's question in about September...

Edited by andreas, 26 March 2010 - 10:31 AM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#15 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:37 AM

I like the sedate pace of this thread, befitting the "local history" section. Looking forward to an answer to mcleanmuir's question in about September...

Hahaha... yes, there is a lot of work going on there now - diggers, bits of the pub pulled off, etc. Haven't been past for a few days, but there's obviously a big job being done.