• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:22 AM

Hi I wondered if anyone could recommend a builder that could knock out a chimney breast in my kitchen.

A bit of detail, upper maisonette - loft directly above victorian property.

I have gone to building control at Croydon and got advice re. party wall and drawings. And spoken to a few surveyors. Guy at Croydon Council buiding regs said a straight forward job but one that needs to be carried out properly by an experience builder with liabiltiy. Apparently, they ask for info about him and his liability.

So, want an old hand, who is happy for me to take references (as structural not taking chances). Any recommendations or builders out their willing to take this on. Want to get started May/June by the time I get building regs through.

If anyone has had this done recently as well and ihas a ball park dea re.the cost, this would be good. Building regs guy at the council and surveyors have guestimated but nice to have more detail.

I have started booking appointments re. getting quotes but had such an ordeal finding someone for my bathroom last year, I am already stressing over this. My builder from last time isn't really experienced in structural work and so I won't let him touch it. But thinking of getting structural done and then getting him to plaster.

#2 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:40 AM

As this is a structural change, you may well need the approval of the freeholder. Would be worth checking what your lease says.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#3 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:37 PM

Sunray, did you manage to find some-one you're happy with to remove your chimney breast? I have two needing removal and am searching for some-one to do it too. Cheers.

#4 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

Sorry Guys should have posted earlier Big Al who has done a lot of peoples roofs on this forum see roofers thread. Also has expertise in this area his mobile number 07932401488 & is local in the norwood area.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#5 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:00 PM

Sorry Guys should have posted earlier Big Al who has done a lot of peoples roofs on this forum see roofers thread. Also has expertise in this area his mobile number 07932401488 & is local in the norwood area.

Dazza

Well a year later and getting around to my chimney breast removal...waylaid by work....I've been quoted 1,300 plus building regs to take out the chimney and make good...waiting on one other quote. Going to contact Big Al to see what he charges. I want someone that will do the technical drawings too...

Any other contact numbers would be good.

#6 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:13 PM

Well a year later and getting around to my chimney breast removal...waylaid by work....I've been quoted 1,300 plus building regs to take out the chimney and make good...waiting on one other quote. Going to contact Big Al to see what he charges. I want someone that will do the technical drawings too...

Any other contact numbers would be good.

I've just texted big Al...as too late to call him but can't access forums at work...and useless re. writing things down...and remembering to take them with me.

I will report back.

#7 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:14 PM

Still looking for a builder re. knocking out chimney breast in the kitchen.....big Al got back and said not his thing....and would pass details onto mate....but never heard anymore.

I've posted on Rated People....and guy who came was new to Rated people...so, being wise I thought I would give it a few weeks.....First reviews have been negative...and so not using them.

Been onto federation of master builders - three didn't turn up...the one that did...Wanted 7k and to replaster my whole kitchen....Wanted the fitting job re. kitchen and told him using my brother and guy who did my bathroom.

Meanwhile, posted for fences and had six people respond and think found someone.....really weird...not a big job but has to be the right person re. chimney breast, as structural, who knows what he's doing.

I will plod on and when I find someone and he does a good job...I will post on here.

I've just texted big Al...as too late to call him but can't access forums at work...and useless re. writing things down...and remembering to take them with me.

I will report back.

#8 sheff

sheff

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:39 PM

David O'Brien (see builders section) has recently quoted on my partners removal and other works.

She also used a local structural engineer who was good value for the drawings and specs that you will need etc. (will pass on details if needed)..