Photo

Queens Hotel

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Hotel? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Hotel?

1. Excellent (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Good (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Average (4 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. Poor (12 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:00 AM

You lot have got me really worried now. Spoons, I might be there the second night if the first night goes badly! As for bringing it forward, it'll be half term, so no, I can't.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#17 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:08 AM

There's a link to why we're worried for you in my post, fifth one down, in the thread below.

Half term, you say? Are you taking kids there?

http://www.virtualno.......&hl=terrace

#18 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:17 AM

Spoon: Going off topic, so I will email you instead.

#19 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:11 AM

. I've stayed in some pretty dingy travelodges in the past, can this be worse???

Yes!!!!

http://travel.ciao.c...London__6267179

#20 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:18 AM

Ok, you now have me freaked out. Can anyone suggest somewhere else for the same sort of money. I'd love to stay at a 100 a night hotel, but seeing as it's work I can't justify the cost.

#21 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:32 AM

No idea what it's like but Astra Palace is just at the other end of the Parade, is a similar price and doesn't look anywhere near as frightening (on the inside at least) as the Queen's.

#22 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:14 PM

Ok, you now have me freaked out. Can anyone suggest somewhere else for the same sort of money. I'd love to stay at a 100 a night hotel, but seeing as it's work I can't justify the cost.

I didn't mean to freak you out - sorry

#23 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

Possibly the closest hotel with half decent reviews is the Leigham Court Hotel, at Streatham Hill. 24 hour bus service to Crystal Palace with the 417 and N137.

There's the Travelodge and Premier Inn's in Croydon. I think there's a B&B in Anerley called Bill's.
Love The Triangle...

#24 Spooks

Spooks

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:06 PM

Astra Palace has had a lick of paint in the last 12 months - that alone has to make it better than the Queens....

#25 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:45 PM

Astra Palace has had a lick of paint in the last 12 months - that alone has to make it better than the Queens....

to be fair a lick of paint in the last 12 years would be an improvement

#26 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

Ok, it's the day of reckoning. I will be in the Queens for the next two nights. Watch this space for opinion of CP full stop (note to James: Where should I post my thoughts?) and what I thought of the Queens.

#27 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:29 PM

Ok, as promised, here's my experience of The Queens.

First, and foremost, the cost. The web seems to have a multitude of sites each offering a different price. I shopped around, trying reservations for the same day, and it would go from over 80 to the cheapest which was 34 for the two of us in a twin room. This was frighteningly cheap, and yet the alternatives were either too far to allow me to walk around the Church Road area, or just not what I needed at all. I took the plunge and booked it. I noticed after I'd booked it that the card hadn't actually been debited for anything, and when I spoke to the booking agent I was told to contact the hotel direct. They assured me that the card was only used as security so if I didn't turn up, they'd take the full room rate and I could actually pay on the day I left. For this reason, I turned up on Monday afternoon, weary and travel stained, and being a bank holiday, without much cash. They wouldn't even talk to me until I paid for the room, so I had to go and find the nearest hole in the wall (Sainsbury's) and then drive back to get checked in.
Now with my new card key (a manky magnetic card with masking tape and a number scrawled in pen on it), I headed for the bar for a swift 'arf to relax from the 5 hour journey there. The barman saw me coming, and promptly disappeared for 10 minutes. I sat patiently (like us Brits do) and then the phone rang. He reappeared to answer the phone, and set about into an obviously personal call with someone about the night before and what he'd been up to, where they ended up etc etc. Twice I caught his eye, and just before I passed out from anticipation for a cool pint of something (3 a pint I hasten to add...), he got the hint and served me. To be fair, once he was at my beck and call, he was actually very friendly. I'd mentioned what had been said about the hotel in the past, and he acknowledged that they had had problems but they were getting on top of it. Interestingly, whilst there, another resident asked about food and was shown a few menus of local takeaways who would be happy to deliver to the hotel, so I guess fine dining isn't available actually there.
The room was functional. No frills, as I have said before, as long as I had a bed I'd be happy. It was by no means luxurious but it had the basics.
A photo of the room from the window
and the room from the door.
I was on the first floor, next to the stairwell and the lift, and dreaded a lot of noise, but there was none from either. The lack of double glazing meant that the basic aluminium windows let in a lot of outdoor traffic noise and this was really noticeable from very early (about 5:30) the next morning.
The view outside
There was a basic TV, with an Argos special aerial perched on top that picked up every vehicle as it went past. There was no remote control though, and so my son became my voice activated channel hopper for the basic 5 channels.
The TV(!)
The sockets and other fittings on the wall by the TV had also seen better days, what with one being cracked and unusable, and a fuse missing from another point we couldn't work out that did anything.
Dodgy Sockets
There were also a load of extra light switches everywhere that did nothing as well.
The breakfast was disappointing. My son had coco pops, whereas I settled for the obligatory cup of tea, two slice of slightly stale bread, a plastic pat of butter and a processed cheese slice. There was also a really cheap looking tray of (possibly) luncheon meat. Apparently there was toast and even cooked breakfasts available, but I didn't see either. The one advantage of having breakfast is the view from the top floor looking over London. It was very grey that morning, but the view was still staggering.
The view from breakfast
Finally, the car park was free. The second night I returned very late, only to find it was full with contractor's vans and the lane down the side with loads of empty spaces was now gated shut. I ended up parking out on Church Road which left me a little concerned, but I was able to see the car from the window so I was a little more at ease.

All in all, for the price, it was quite good. I could have spent a lot more to stay in Travelodge/Premier Travelinn/Holiday Inn Express in Croydon and been just as disappointed. The place does look a dump, but from what's been said on here and other sites, this is because it's been abused by previous management for years, if not decades, and I'm glad to see that perhaps it's being turned around.

#28 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:02 AM

A very even-handed review...

I think however I would steer clear myself...

How many additional switches were in the room exactly? Are we talking tens or hundreds?
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#29 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:19 AM

Uncle Wilf: This room alone had:

Two switches by the door. Both of which did nothing, no empty light fittings nearby, no sign of anything previously.
Two for the bathroom, one of which was the light, the other did nothing.
Two in the bathroom, one for the fan, the other did nothing.
Three by the bed, two for the overhead lamps, the middle one did nowt.
Two by the desk, both doing nothing. One by the skirting board near the floor(!) by the front window, which also did nothing.

#30 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 11:06 AM

Maybe management policy on switch quantities is: you can't be too careful.

Maybe these switches used to activate the opening of secret panels that lead to secret corridors that take you to the HQ of subterranean crimelords.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales