Photo

Queens Hotel

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Hotel? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Hotel?

1. Excellent (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Good (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Average (4 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. Poor (12 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:56 PM

Ok, just stayed at the Queens again and thought I'd give you all an update. In the 2 years since I was last there, some things have changed beyond recognition, whilst others haven't changed at all.

Bad Points:
We'd been booked into a wrong room, and there was no space at all on our first night so we had to put up with it. Admittedly it wasn't all their fault. I'd originally booked a triple, then changed my mind and wanted a double and a single. They only had the triple for us, and explained that the triple room did have a double and single bed. The other 3 nights we were more than catered for, being given two adjoining triple rooms and the first night that had been so wrong was free.
Our arrival in the evening on the Saturday coincided with a huge wedding going on. Apparently 550 guests for the wedding had turned up, and there was nowhere to park. Now, I agree that in principal it's not their fault, but they should have prioritised the parking, because it was just chaos there. We ended up out on Church Road, parked up at the top of Fox Hill, and had to lug our luggage back from there.
I dunno what was going on with the barman. The man needs a slap! On Sunday night I had friends come up for a drink, or would have done if he'd ever attended to the bar. 3 times I waited over half an hour for a drink, and once it was as much as 45 minutes. Also, he had no ice a couple of nights, and on the Bank Holiday Monday I got engaged and thought it would be nice to order some champagne when we got back to the hotel. We got back about 9:30, and he'd already closed. The bar prices also seem to be all over the place. A pint of Kronenbourg 1664 was £2 and yet a pint of lemonade was £3. Go figure!
The breakfasts aren't anything to write home about. You can have cereal (Cocopops or Cornflakes), apple/orange juice, tea/coffee, and toast which you do yourself with an industrial toaster. There was an option for a full breakfast, but at £5.50 it might be better to find the local greasy spoon.

Good points.
The Managers are superb. I don't know the General Manager's name, but he just oozed respect and couldn't do enough for you. The front of house manager was called Asif, and he was the one that got us the rooms all organised.
The rooms were really tidy, clean and well looked after. The first night the bathroom was a bit dodgy, the taps moved and the cold tap nearly needed a monkey wrench to turn it off. All the rooms had Freeview Digital TV, and the two rooms we spent the time in for the duration had flat screens. They also didn't mind you taking food or drink to your rooms. Which leads me to my next point.
They have started to serve some food again. Admittedly it was hardly michelin starred fare, but it was good enough when we didn't want to go out for something to eat. Again, it was served by the barman, and he would take forever to go and collect it! They also have a vending machine in the back of the lobby with Rustler's burgers and some such, and a microwave alongside. Although, I dunno if this qualifies as a good point.
And finally, the price. We ended up paying about £260 for the two rooms for 4 nights, which equates to about £30 a night! Where else in London could you stay for that, apart from Centrepoint or a tent in Crystal Palace park.

I'm glad to report that things are on the up. I hope they continue to improve.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#47 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:01 AM

Personally I think your brave going back !

However our area is crying out for a good quality hotel with a pool & spa especially with the new overground line.

Perhaps a Marriott which is always my chain of choice !

Dazza

PS As if !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#48 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

Good points.
The Managers are superb. I don't know the General Manager's name, but he just oozed respect and couldn't do enough for you.

So did you complain/comment to the General Manager about the bar service etc? If not you missed your chance!
aka Pie

#49 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:26 PM

So did you complain/comment to the General Manager about the bar service etc? If not you missed your chance!

I did, but he just said that the barman was serving other customers. I also said it might be worth hiring another barman, and he just said it was so rare to have people in the bar that required two bar staff, which I can see would have been the case. He also apologised.
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#50 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:59 PM

Long-suffering residents are always on the sticky end of these big weddings and services at the Queens. Last Saturday, a car was parked across my driveway from the afternoon to late evening. And he was on the pavement - I've been ticketed for that myself!

So I wanted to send out a big message to all traffic wardens to come feast on these easy pickings, but there's no easy way of doing that. They probably clock off early on a Saturday anyway. I went on Croydon Council's website for parking obstructions - but it's not their thing, you have to call the police. Called the police, spoke to several very nice people during the course of the evening who kept ringing to check if the car was still there, but they were too busy to come round. They suggested I go talk to the hotel manager. I've done that before too, and didn't see the point in adding self-harm to injury by spending my Saturday night hanging around a cramped reception, being stared at by drunken wedding guests, only to be told, inevitably, that nothing could be done.

This happens every year, and I'm not going to waste any more time on a campaign to get somebody to do something about it. I just hope that somebody squeezing past with a buggy accidentally scratches their paintwork.

#51 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

I know what i would do.

Its amazing what you can do with a piece of cardboard & a rusty nail !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#52 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

I'm with you on the rusty nail but where does the cardboard come in Dazza?

#53 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:47 PM

Just found this about the Queens Hotel:
http://dulwichonview...ple-and-places/

Interesting facts in there, including that you used to be able to hear the striking of Big Ben from the grounds of the hotel. :)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#54 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

Fascinating - as is the background to the writer and his enviously bucolic life!

#55 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

Walking by this afternoon, I noticed they have done some attractive planting around the entrance of the hotel and along the front wall. Makes a huge difference.

One day, this could be a great low-medium budget hotel. It gives tantalising hints like this at times, but sadly has still a long way to go:

http://www.tripadvis...on_England.html

It does though have the best views in the Palace from the balcony of the function room.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#56 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:58 PM

Oh. My. Goodness. Those photos! :blink:

#57 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

Oh. My. Goodness. Those reviews!! :blink:
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#58 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:34 PM

things that make you go urgh....

Edited by Ziwa, 28 April 2011 - 09:35 PM.

#59 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:28 AM

Any chance of getting a few direction signs along Church Road for the Queens Hotel do ya reckon? - I'm fed up of pointing to people dragging wheelie cases in that directioné - am not that sure the Palace is that tourist savvy - think we should do a bit more for them

#60 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:38 AM

Any chance of getting a few direction signs along Church Road for the Queens Hotel do ya reckon? - I'm fed up of pointing to people dragging wheelie cases in that directioné - am not that sure the Palace is that tourist savvy - think we should do a bit more for them

Might be a good idea - especially as half of Europe seem to stay there these days :blink:

I have to say that the hotel façade is pretty impressive now, although I gather inside is less salubrious..