Photo

Gurkha Cottage

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (92 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (50 votes [54.35%])

Percentage of vote: 54.35%

2. Good (30 votes [32.61%])

Percentage of vote: 32.61%

3. Average (8 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

4. Poor (4 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:20 PM

A much looked forward to dining experience - scrumptious food - nan par excellence & the best king prawn korma in the Triangle, good service and even a lift home to Streatham for one of our party with their takeaway delivery driver . How's that for all round service!

#32 noseturnedblue

noseturnedblue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:38 PM

Chicken curry, very disappointing ersatz chicken (the sort of stuff you get in cheap takeaways). I will not be going back in a hurry.

#33 fidel

fidel

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:17 PM

I really like the ambience in the Gurka Cottage. It's like what you would get on holiday, rather like the A.Torre Portugeuse resturant. Saying all that the food rocks. It's always consistantly good, plus if yoy fancy a lunch time special go for there special Aloo Gosh for starter, Chicken or Lamb main plus a Mango Lassi.

Sorry about all th bad spelling.

Yum Yum
-
www.gunpowderstudios.co.uk

#34 globalviks

globalviks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

The Ghurka is fantastic. Me and the boyf have eaten there many times and love it we even took my parents (avid curry eaters) there recently when they were visiting and they too thought it was great! The food has always been delicious and you can't beat the service. All the staff are simply lovely, even if just ordering a take away they are always friendly and welcoming with smiles on their faces and give just the right amount of attention.

#35 Galena

Galena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

This is the best South Asian restaurant that I have been to for a long time. The cuisine is similar to Indian (it's Nepalese), but their specialities differ. The service is friendly and quick. I'd definitely recommend it!

#36 James Bass

James Bass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:02 PM

Don't normally post reviews (and certainly not keen to put across negativity about local business) but I'm so disappointed that it I don't express the below here I might literally explode with all the thoughts rattling around my head.

Me and my other half ate at Gurkha on Friday. We have previously been big fans but don't think we'll be going back in an hurry.

Both our dishes - a vegetable saag-based thing and a chicken tikka jalfrezi - were immensely salty (bleurgh!). This is unusual for Gurkha but why is it that some restaurant chefs just can't seem to stop themselves adding loads of unhealthy and unnecessary salt to otherwise decent food? I think it's a perception of western tastes (note: South East is guilty of the same crime).

More weirdly, the chicken was that squidgy and cheap low-quality stuff that has the consistency of cat food that is usually the domain of less honourable curry houses... Yuk.

And then (a minor point, but this is weird, so should be noted), the usual complimentary home-made aperitif was served after we had paid, in tacky day-glo plastic shot glasses.

Not sure what's going on here but perhaps they are cutting corners ('credit crunch' leading to less customers?) and think people won't notice?? Shame, because as others have said, it has previously been a very pleasant experience.

Trouble is though, if they are cutting corners, they'll shoot themselves in the foot... they're not the only ones who are needing to spend a little less and make savings... we are certainly having to be more selective about the venues we like to go to and the frequency with which we go out... <_<

So, apologies about the negativity... hopefully it's just a blip and the chef was having a bit of an off-day...? Still, I do feel frustrated at having wasted 45 and 2 hours of our time... I really should have just stuck to the M&S Rogan Josh aduki bean curry and brown rice I was going to make... :rolleyes:

#37 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:57 AM

Interesting post James...

Me and my wife went there a month or two back and ended up taking the food away and the food was not up to the usual standard. This is a real shame as Gurkha used to be consistently good and the service excellent.

Lets hope these are just isolated problems.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#38 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 09:45 AM

have you thought of mentioning this to the head waiter there - he is very good at listening and rectifying most problems there.... we have had just 2 times let-downs to their normal standard but i put this down to the fact we go in there so often the chances are you are gonna find one dish is just not right once in a while....
do tell them or else they will never know that theres been a problem.
As to cutting corners I have seen on various news reports recently about the shortage of rice due to bad crops and other ingredients... thus pushing prices up and rationing what they do sell - I think most people would find that if their local curry house did express concern over the prices of food and they didnt want to cut corners on quality that they should hike the prices up a little and explain this in a little card or something - i think a lot of people around here would understand why it has been done. (anyways - right thats off my chest ;) )
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#39 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:30 PM

I tried out Gurka Cottage for the first time last night and what a treat it was!

The staff were so attentive, the poppadums hit the table as we sat down and a free tipple was instantly in our hands. I had the piri piru squid to start and it was amazing, spicy but not rubbery and the main courses were to die for :hugkiss:

My partner and I agreed that we would be back as soon as we could as everything was so well cooked and the staff couldn't be friendlier. I will be recommending this place to all my fellow curry eaters, top marks :D

#40 VKJ

VKJ

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:48 PM

I agree. I'm glad we went back to try it again. Very much improved.

#41 Gurkha Cottage

Gurkha Cottage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:32 AM

Hi all Virtual Norwood members,

We, the management, at Gurkha Cottage really admire the Virtual Norwood community and are grateful for the numerous comments about our restaurant. As pointed out by a few sponsors/members, there isn't enough interaction from the restaurant owners and we thank you for giving us this opportunity to respond back to any comments or suggestions you may have.

This thread hasn't been updated in a while and we are eager to hear your thoughts on how you find our food and service at the moment. Please let us know what you like, where we can improve.

If you would like to see something on the menu, please email us: info@gurkhacottage.com or visit our website: http://www.gurkhacottage.com

We will read every post.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Anup
Gurkha Cottage

#42 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:55 PM

Thanks Anup, Its good to see some business' do read this website.
I'm an avid customer of yours and would love to help you improve in any way possible.

My personal opinions are as follows:-
1. maybe have the restaurant in sections so when its less busy you can contain your customers at the front of the restaurant (making it look very popular at that given time)
2. Fairy lights around the windows at night and in the restaurant do always entice a few more punters in - it just softens the place a little and looks rather welcoming.
3. Less of the pink in the interior would be nice (although this is my personal view ha ha) and more a dark colour theme...
4. Put a few large plants to break up the large room...
5. Maybe a few images/artifacts of Nepal dotted around....

I can't fault the food and service - always friendly...
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#43 Gurkha Cottage

Gurkha Cottage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

Hi Twinkle,

1. We don't have physical partitioning but I believe the staff are aware of this technique.
2. Nice suggestion - I'll put that through to the staff and management for approval.
3. We even looked at using darker colours for the table cloths but found it doesn't go with the whole colour scheme. Maybe we need to change the wall colours altogether.
4. Very nice idea, I will put that to the staff/management for approval.
5. Currently we promote local artists so the artwork you see at Gurkha Cottage are from people in the area. We are already in discussion about adding photos of Nepal scenery and will be looking to increase the "Nepalese" feel inside the restaurant, soon.

Thank you so much for your suggestions Twinkle.

We look forward to more comments from other VN members too.

Kind regards,
Anup
Gurkha Cottage

#44 David G Martin

David G Martin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

I eat very regularly at Gurkha Cottage with my wife and seven year-old daughter. The food is excellent. Momo is always vey popular as are many of the recently introduced specials. Only once did we have a small problem with the food on a very busy Saturday evening and that was dealt with very quickly by Sanjay.

I have entertained my parents and various friends on numerous occasions and everyone has always enjoyed the experience. It's one the best Nepalese/Indian restaurants that I have ever eaten in and I would warmly recommend it to anyone.

#45 CupKate

CupKate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:51 AM

Gurkha Cottage is the favourite resteraunt of all of my friends and family, we all travel from Croydon to eat there. The food is amazing, I love how many vegeratian options there are! The staff are so friendly and welcoming.. the shot of sherry is always a treat and even the coffee is luxurious!
The momo is something I can never say no to. It's a must have. The vegetarian momo is a favourite with all my friends!

We <3 Gurkha Cottage!!!