Photo

Gurkha Cottage

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (92 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (50 votes [54.35%])

Percentage of vote: 54.35%

2. Good (30 votes [32.61%])

Percentage of vote: 32.61%

3. Average (8 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

4. Poor (4 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Bexter

Bexter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:13 PM

Ate in recently and the food was amazing - the veggie choices just great. As I am now heavily pregnant we ordered a delivery which was really fast, however since then we have had one 2 hour wait - we had to keep calling to see where it was not vice versa as it should be, and then again last week, after a whole day in hospital having tests I was really looking forward to a curry and ordered at half seven, when it still hadn't arrived by quarter past nine I was told the driver had got lost and gone back to the restaurant but they were about to leave again with the (by now, solid and cold?!) curry. Why didn't the driver ring us??!! I ended up cooking scraps at half nine - just what I needed at 9 months pregnant! Anyway, the long and short is we are gutted as we thought we had found a more than worthy replacement for Jumuna which we used regularily until it changed hands (anyone tried it since? I'm too nervous to!) back to the drawing board! Would eat in again but that's not going to happen for a while I would wager! Shame we can't rely on the delivery.

#47 Gurkha Cottage

Gurkha Cottage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:32 AM

Ate in recently and the food was amazing - the veggie choices just great. As I am now heavily pregnant we ordered a delivery which was really fast, however since then we have had one 2 hour wait - we had to keep calling to see where it was not vice versa as it should be, and then again last week, after a whole day in hospital having tests I was really looking forward to a curry and ordered at half seven, when it still hadn't arrived by quarter past nine I was told the driver had got lost and gone back to the restaurant but they were about to leave again with the (by now, solid and cold?!) curry. Why didn't the driver ring us??!! I ended up cooking scraps at half nine - just what I needed at 9 months pregnant! Anyway, the long and short is we are gutted as we thought we had found a more than worthy replacement for Jumuna which we used regularily until it changed hands (anyone tried it since? I'm too nervous to!) back to the drawing board! Would eat in again but that's not going to happen for a while I would wager! Shame we can't rely on the delivery.

Bexter,

We are deeply sorry for the difficulties you have had with our delivery. The time that you have waited for your food is not indicative of our usual delivery service, which aims to arrive at homes within 45mins. However, any restaurant, during a really busy period, can struggle to perfect every delivery within the targeted time and therefore can take a bit longer.

We do understand though, that the time you had to wait for your specific delivery is unacceptable and we, the management, will strive to make sure we put firm practices in place, so that this type of problem is minimised. We value each and every customer as you make us who we are today and we are investigating your delivery to find out the cause of the delay. We want you to be a very happy customer next time you order from Gurkha Cottage.

Our best wishes for the forthcoming baby.

Kind regards,
The Management
Gurkha Cottage

#48 Bexter

Bexter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:16 PM

Thank you, we have actually come to collect a curry tonight as I am desperate to have one! But will give delivery another go with you as once the baby is here it will be a really big help! I think the most annoying thing about the last failed delivery is that every time I phoned I was told 5 minutes and yet over half an hour later it still wasn't there. If I had been told the true wait at the time or that you were really busy I could have made the decision to come and collect or leave it and eat at a resonable time at home - as it was it left me eating at nearly ten at night which was just a nightmare for a hungry and tired pregnat lady!
Thanks for your reply, I am looking forward to my curry any minute now!

#49 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:08 AM

Had an amazing meal in Gurkha last night. The New SPECIALS for May, June & July are really different from the usual menu. My partner had Baked Sea-bass in banana leaves and I had what i can only describe as Paneer triangular little sandwiches filled with nuts, cheese and carrots with a chilli and corriander paste ontop... lovely ^_^ - the mains were also from the specials so maybe go in and try some of their new things... We had a chat with Sanjay the manager and he's going to paint parts of the restaurant to break it up a little and has planted some nice plants over the sign outside...so they are trying to change things to keep it fresh and appealing to their customers.....
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#50 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:26 AM

Amazing what a bit of competition and customer responsiveness can do.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#51 clairy

clairy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:19 AM

We went here last night and the food was lovely. I had the seabass in banana leaves and the masu bhutuwa which were both gorgeous. The restaurant was really busy which was good to see.

#52 Bexter

Bexter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

well, true to their word GC delivered a perfect take away tonight in 40 mins flat, with a personal apology from the owner and free to boot! was beyond what was expected and the food was exceptionally good. am very happy we have now got a reliable, and delicious take away! spot on, thank you.

#53 David G Martin

David G Martin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

I'm a regualar at GC, usually going there once a week on Sundays. Just got back from four weeks' summer vacation and was missing my curry, etc. so went there yesterday with my wife and seven year-old daughter. Discovered their 'Flavour of Autumn' special menu that was introduced in August whilst we were away and which is available through to October. And what a discovery! All of the dishes look fantastic and, for regulars such as us, make a pleasant change from our favourite dishes on the main menu that we order week-in week-out on auto-pilot such as Momo, chicken Tikka and Steamed Sea Bass in Banana Leaves.

We decided to order all of our dishes from this specials menu and we were not disappointed. We started with Tikki Mithi Gobi (cauliflower marinated in gram flour and mixed with honey and sesame seeds) and Jhinga Nisha (shell king prawns spiced and barbequed with black pepper, and shredded mozzarella). The cauliflower was just a good as it sounds but the king prawn exceeded my expectations as I am not really a sea food lover and I ordered it mainly for my wife's benefit. Both were brill and we will certainly be having them again.

For our main courses, we chose Masu Rayo (lamb cooked with choisum spinach and spices), Chicken Kalimirch (chicken with crushed black pepper, yoghurt, ginger, garlic, and spices), Rayo Ko Saag (Choisum with garlic, tomatoes and spices) and Kathar Tarkari (green jackfruits in an onion masala karahi sauce). The lamb was delicious and my daughter alone eat half of it. The chicken was a pleasant change from the excellent Tikka that we normally have. We usually have a Chinese meal on Fridays and the choisum was a nice twist on the Chinese version that we often have. The jackfruit was well cooked but came second to the very tasty choisum.

Overall, an excellent meal and not one of our usual dishes (except of course for the rice and Bombay Alou (spiced potatoes)).

#54 miss_g

miss_g

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:45 AM

Very helpful review above, went there for 2nd time last night, was absolutely lovely food and so cheap. Bottle nice vino, 1 tandori king prawn, 1 lamb vindaloo, 2 veggie sides, nan bread and rice. 47 super. Really tasty!
Couldn't squeeze it all in, so they were happy to pack it up for us. Dinner tonight. Brilliant.

#55 CupKate

CupKate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:59 PM

for some reason or other the last 3 times we've had Gurkha Cottage food (1 take away and 2 at the resteraunt) we've been really dissapointed!
The food quality was pretty bad, things weren't cooked well and the service wasn't so good. The last time, we ordered our usual vegetable momo, which tasted under cooked and the momo sauce tasted just like dry packet minastrone soup (it even had the dried bits of sweetcorn in it) The staff didn't take our main orders until after they had cleared away our plates from finishing our starters.
I was hoping this is a blip, but I'm worried our 4th time might be just as dissapointing. Saying this though, I haven't seen any of the old staff or the manager/owner in a while..

#56 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:17 AM

for some reason or other the last 3 times we've had Gurkha Cottage food (1 take away and 2 at the resteraunt) we've been really dissapointed!
The food quality was pretty bad, things weren't cooked well and the service wasn't so good. The last time, we ordered our usual vegetable momo, which tasted under cooked and the momo sauce tasted just like dry packet minastrone soup (it even had the dried bits of sweetcorn in it) The staff didn't take our main orders until after they had cleared away our plates from finishing our starters.
I was hoping this is a blip, but I'm worried our 4th time might be just as dissapointing. Saying this though, I haven't seen any of the old staff or the manager/owner in a while..

It is a shame to hear of your experiences. Having tried all the other Indian restaurants in CP we have consistently found GC to be the best of the bunch and had a v good meal there about 2 weeks ago.

#57 Gurkha Cottage

Gurkha Cottage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:41 PM

Dear CupKate,

Thank you for your post. We have been trying hard to consistently achieve the same high standards as we normally achieve at the Gurkha Cottage. We, the management, trial our food regularly, to make sure the food is of a high standard (we have been getting lots of praises recently too!). However, we understand your experience hasn't been entirely satisfactory but are keen to put this right. If you experience something like this in the future, it would help us if you can mention it at the table, upon which we can alert our chefs immediately and exchange the dish right away. Our kitchen chefs have been with us consistently, however, due to the holiday time of the year, a few front staff members are on holiday, which is why you have noticed a change in staff temporarily. This is normal in any business and we request you to bear with us for a couple of weeks.

Thank you for your comments; we appreciate it highly.

Kind regards,
The Management
Gurkha Cottage

#58 CupKate

CupKate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

Dear CupKate,

Thank you for your post. We have been trying hard to consistently achieve the same high standards as we normally achieve at the Gurkha Cottage. We, the management, trial our food regularly, to make sure the food is of a high standard (we have been getting lots of praises recently too!). However, we understand your experience hasn't been entirely satisfactory but are keen to put this right. If you experience something like this in the future, it would help us if you can mention it at the table, upon which we can alert our chefs immediately and exchange the dish right away. Our kitchen chefs have been with us consistently, however, due to the holiday time of the year, a few front staff members are on holiday, which is why you have noticed a change in staff temporarily. This is normal in any business and we request you to bear with us for a couple of weeks.

Thank you for your comments; we appreciate it highly.

Kind regards,
The Management
Gurkha Cottage

Not to worry, GC is still our favourite resteraunt and we'll continue to support and dine with you! I couldn't bring this to anyones attention last time, we had to leave early because I fell ill (nothing to do with you guys)
Thanks for the reply, I hope to be back soon!

#59 Sido

Sido

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

hi,

my partner (who is british-indian) and me love to go there. the people in this restaurant are friendly and the food gets served quickly. we went there a couple of times and so far we never had to complain about anything at all. i always found the food enjoyable and would never hesitate to recommend it. it is a good indian restaurant.

#60 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

Been there twice in the last few months and planning to go there again tonight - food and service have been really good and pretty good value too - think it has the edge over Yak and Yeti for me - hope I will have same opinion tomorrow