Photo

Gurkha Cottage

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (92 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (50 votes [54.35%])

Percentage of vote: 54.35%

2. Good (30 votes [32.61%])

Percentage of vote: 32.61%

3. Average (8 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

4. Poor (4 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Lorlorkins

Lorlorkins

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

Been here twice in the last week! Love the food (had different things both times) and really friendly service. Was completely thrown by the Michael Jackson blasting out towards the end of the evening - is always fantastic to be paying your bill to "Thriller"!

#62 Moggles

Moggles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

Had a takeaway last weekend - great tasty food. Went for some of the Nepalese options and it was fab. I chose it based on the recomendations on here - and would recomend it myself! :D

#63 CupKate

CupKate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

I live in Croydon, and the GC is my fave resteraunt EVER. my 2nd fave is Edo (round the corner!)

I can't actually get there very often but the members of staff seem to know me well, when I call and ask if they're not busy, if they would mind doing a delivery to me in Croydon. It's actually a bit further then they would normally deliver and they are always so kind! They ALWAYS send me some freebie cans of coke 'coz it must be pretty obvious I'm addicted to the stuff and love it! They are amazingly friendly! I'm not sure if they were making a loss or not though, because the past 3 or 4 times we went they didn't serve complimentry sherry at the start like they used to? I always loved that. But still, I just wanted to write another message to support my favourite place!

If you're interested at all, My favourite starter is the vegetable momo, which comes with a special sauce - YUM! it's pretty spicy but I just love those little dumplings! I also order Tandori chicken for my boyfriend, but secretly for myself.. I am a vegetarian, I don't want to eat meat again.. but I make a special exception for gurkha cottage chicken.. because it is the softest, tastiest and heavenly chicken ever! *dribbles*

Can't wait for my next Gurkha fix!

Oh, forgot to mention.. being a vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables much is pretty tough, especially in resteraunts ~ but the veggie options at GC are really great! I Adore the Paneer, and you can usually request it in any sauce (or maybe that was just me being cheeky) But it's especially nice having it dry tandoori style.

Edited by CupKate, 18 July 2010 - 08:51 PM.

#64 Gurkha Cottage

Gurkha Cottage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

I live in Croydon, and the GC is my fave resteraunt EVER. my 2nd fave is Edo (round the corner!)

I can't actually get there very often but the members of staff seem to know me well, when I call and ask if they're not busy, if they would mind doing a delivery to me in Croydon. It's actually a bit further then they would normally deliver and they are always so kind! They ALWAYS send me some freebie cans of coke 'coz it must be pretty obvious I'm addicted to the stuff and love it! They are amazingly friendly! I'm not sure if they were making a loss or not though, because the past 3 or 4 times we went they didn't serve complimentry sherry at the start like they used to? I always loved that. But still, I just wanted to write another message to support my favourite place!

If you're interested at all, My favourite starter is the vegetable momo, which comes with a special sauce - YUM! it's pretty spicy but I just love those little dumplings! I also order Tandori chicken for my boyfriend, but secretly for myself.. I am a vegetarian, I don't want to eat meat again.. but I make a special exception for gurkha cottage chicken.. because it is the softest, tastiest and heavenly chicken ever! *dribbles*

Can't wait for my next Gurkha fix!

Oh, forgot to mention.. being a vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables much is pretty tough, especially in resteraunts ~ but the veggie options at GC are really great! I Adore the Paneer, and you can usually request it in any sauce (or maybe that was just me being cheeky) But it's especially nice having it dry tandoori style.

Hi Kate,

Thank you for such wonderful comments for our restaurant. We are constantly looking for new ways to improve our customers' experience. We have recently updated our menu so I hope you like some of the new dishes available.

At times, when it gets really busy, our staff may have missed the chance to serve you welcome drinks, however, please do ask for this and we will make sure the drinks are not missed.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards,
Anup
Gurkha Cottage

#65 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

I love Gurkha Cottage - so much so that we still get it delivered now we've moved to Penge -- but (and I'm sorry to there needs to be a but, because everything they do is so delicious) the poppadoms often taste a bit stale and not as crispy as you'd expect.

Aside from that, the entire meal is always a treat from start to finish.
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#66 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

I've always been a big fan of The Cottage but,has anyone else noticed a change for the worse in cooking recently or is it just me?

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#67 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

I've always been a big fan of The Cottage but,has anyone else noticed a change for the worse in cooking recently or is it just me?

I remember going for a meal earlier in the summer which was really salty. Like you, I am normally a big fan of the place - so I hope it is just a temporary blip. They are nice people and generally serve great food.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#68 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

We went a couple of weeks ago. I ordered a chicken dhansak and it was nothing like it used to be. I was a bit disappointed. Maybe there is a different chef?

#69 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:31 PM

We went a couple of weeks ago. I ordered a chicken dhansak and it was nothing like it used to be. I was a bit disappointed. Maybe there is a different chef?

Had a take-away last night. Not good. The main dishes came in soup not sauce.How's the Yak and Yeti at the moment? I may have to give that a try.

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#70 Gurkha Cottage

Gurkha Cottage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:11 PM

Our dear customers,

Thank you for your comments, I'm sure your intention was to help us to improve.

We have had temporary staff inside the kitchen to cover for the annual leave period and we have now resumed our normal staffing arrangements.

The management would like to add we are doing a lot of work in the background to improve the quality of the food. In fact, We are so confident that we would like to invite you to come back and try our food again. We will also do our best to make it a truly pleasant experience.

Please continue to pass on your feedback as our customers are an integral part of our business.

Kind regards,
BJ Aryal
Owner
Gurkha Cottage
info@gurkhacottage.com

#71 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for your input BJ. It's much appreciated.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#72 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:00 AM

Its good to see restaurant/pub owners and staff viewing what is said on here and giving feedback - although not everyone is into these kind of forums I imagine the feedback is alot more honest than they get from "is everything ok with your meal" at the table.

Maybe a flyer giving details of VN could be dropped within each establishment inviting them to sign up - younever know it might encourage some healthy and friendly competition and raise the bar a tad higher - or even a sticker that could be put in the window say "we're signed up to virtual norwood - read customers reviews online at.... web address" which in turn might boost VN customer membership

#73 The Anerley ORB

The Anerley ORB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:14 AM

Went for the first time recently. Both my girlfriend and I thought the food was excellent - and great value for money. The service was generally very good too.
The white wine was initially not as chilled as it might be, but that was the only fault during the course of an otherwise lovely meal.
Would highly recommend to others looking for an inexpensive meal on the Triangle.

#74 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:37 PM

We took a couple of our boys there and one of their girlfriends last night, a very good meal indeed, the only two things I would say is the chairs are not very comfy, eldest son complained about this throughout the meal, and the service charge was added to the bill, this is a real bugbear of mine, and I know that it is seen almost as standard practice throughout the industry, but,,annoying!!The complimentary lassi was very welcome and a nice surprise at the end of the meal, we took some takeaway leaflets with us, son expressly asked for some!! (he can pay for that then!) All in all a very nice experience.

#75 Steve H

Steve H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:26 AM

I've eaten at the Gurkha Cottage on 2 separate occasions to date (my last time being on the evening of Halloween)

Firstly, the 3 members of staff that I've have met to date are very welcoming and friendly, and also offer great advice with trying alternative dishes as opposed to the same old mundane (mine usually being either the Chicken Vindaloo or Chicken Phall)

I've always liked my curries extra spicy, and over my past 12 years of dining out I've literally always played safe with sticking to the traditional dishes like Vindaloo,

on my 2 visits to the Gurkha Cottage, a waiter called Deepak kindly gave me the suggestion of trying the Chicken Karahi on my 1st visit, and the Masu Bhutuwa on the Monday evening just gone.

I was extremely pleased with Deepaks suggestion for both dishes (tho I was initially a little apprehensive on my 1st visit for trying something completely different)... Both dishes were a very pleasant surprise, and I was highly impressed with the exquisite flavours and fresh ingredients to match

The Lamb in the Masu Bhutuwa was very tender 'unlike some other Indian restaurants that I've visited over the past 12 years', and I personally cannot rate the food high enough

For anyone who has never been to the Gurkha Cottage who is thinking off trying them out..... I highly recommend this Restaurant as a whole, and I personally cannot pick 1 single fault from either of my 2 dining experiences.

I've always been set in my ways when it's came to dining out (Especially with my curries), although I'm now a converted man with having tried 2 very different and delicious dishes,

I personally must say a really big thank you to Deepak, since I would have no doubt just stuck to the Vindaloos or Phall options for many many years to come in the future, tho my horizons are now broadened :)

I'm absolutely gutted that I live 35 miles away due to me now living in Kent, although I shall definitely be back again at the end of November, and I can't wait to try something different yet again from their widely choiced menu :)

Sending my warmest regards to all the staff and management at the Gurkha Cottage ..............Steve in Chatham