Photo

Gurkha Cottage

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (92 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (50 votes [54.35%])

Percentage of vote: 54.35%

2. Good (30 votes [32.61%])

Percentage of vote: 32.61%

3. Average (8 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

4. Poor (4 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

Steve you sound like an advert for them.
Rachel
My link

#77 Steve H

Steve H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:51 PM

Hi Rachel,

from just re-reading my post, I totally agree with you lol, I never saw my text in that fashion before you had pointed it out lol... I hope all is well with you :)

Kind Regards........ Steve

#78 happymundays

happymundays

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:47 PM

We used to go very often then children came along so less going out, I love the restaurant and food but love the specials as I love less choice and exquisite meals but menu's are so long difficult to choose, please bring back the special menu :D

#79 Marti

Marti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

I ate here with my wife the other week, on a Friday very late. Generally good, I eat out a lot all over London and we've recently moved to the area (overlooking the lovely Grangewood Park) so it's only 20 mins walk from us, 'quicker going downhill coming home!'

The staff were friendly, the decor a bit 'loud', lower lighting and a more intimate atmosphere would be better. I asked the waitress to recommend and was a little dissapointed with their special and a promoted Ale they were pushing. The menu could do with slimming down, less is more!

We would eat here again, but not a destination place if I lived near.

#80 Marti

Marti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

Sorry about the spelling, no word check on this and that was my first post!!!

#81 Mulchdown

Mulchdown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

Recently had a lovely takeaway meal from here - I have lived here for many years but had not tried thier food before. My wife particularly enjoyed the Markhani Dhal.

#82 ptg23

ptg23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Anyone noticed a change in the quality here? I loved this place and have visited on and off for about 5 years. In the summer I started geetting take aways from them and have had about 4 or 5 over recent months that have really disapointed. They have been different to the normal standard by some way.

Not sure if this is because its take away but its rerally put me off going in there for a meal. I am gutted about this!

Or is it me and everyone else thinks it fine?

#83 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Used to be good but we haven't been there for many months. Change of chef?

#84 ptg23

ptg23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

That's what I'm guessing - a real shame.

#85 CapitAl

CapitAl

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

Went there on Saturday, quite busy when we arrived but was empty by the time we left, which was only 10. Starter of vegetable samosa which was great and onion bhaji, which was spoilt by some sort of sauce poured over it - I think it was their take on mango chutney. Main course of a salmon dish and Chicken dhansak - I know, we're not very adventurous - were both OK (the salmon was the better dish) but nothing special. Also the temperature was only just the right side of OK - seemed like they'd been sat somewhere for a while waiting to be served. Overall I was a bit underwhelmed, it wasn't terrible but we wont be rushing back.

Al

#86 Curzon

Curzon

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

There's definitely been a change and from it being dangerously good a while back it's now not quite the same. That said, recent experiences (takeaways) have been good and some of the new curries are spot on. I have tried others in the area and still reckon GC is the best 'indian' around - happy to take suggestions and try a new one though!

#87 Joel

Joel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

This is one of the first restaurants I went to when I moved to Crystal Palace and I'm still a regular here. Their Momo is great - and definitely compares to the real deal in Nepal. Great takeaway when you can't face going out!

#88 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:37 PM

A shadow of its former self.

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#89 Carter simon

Carter simon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Being very regular to Gurkha cottage, i must admit their food and service is nevertheless comparing to any other restaurant in Crystal Palace triangle and as I am quite pleased to see all their 5 star comments on toptable website http://www.toptable....a-cottage?tab=2 .

#90 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

You wouldn't work for them by any chance would you Carter simon?  Interesting choice of wording there.

Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales