Photo

The Grape and Grain

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (36 votes [65.45%])

Percentage of vote: 65.45%

2. Good (16 votes [29.09%])

Percentage of vote: 29.09%

3. Average (3 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

The Grape and Grain
2 Anerley Hill, London SE19 2TF

Phone: 020 8778 8211

(Previously AKA Jack Beard's at The Palace, The Occasional Half, The Sportsman, Crystal Palace Hotel)

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#2 stuart barrell

stuart barrell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

The Grape and Grain
2 Anerley Hill, London SE19 2TF

Phone: 020 8778 8211

(Previously AKA Jack Beard's at The Palace, The Occasional Half, The Sportsman, Crystal Palace Hotel)

I had a quick pint there yesterday lunch time to have a quick look. The range of beers was very good with 8 different ales! (as far as i can gather that is on par with the spoons as the widest choice in the palace) and some interesting draught lagers ( from a greenwich brewery). Cant realy comment on atmosphere as it was very empty, not everyone knows it is open i think. Bar staff seemed friendly and helpful, so good luck to them. Will definately go back again.

#3 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

The range of beers was very good with 8 different ales!

I consider it my duty as a CAMRA member to investigate!

and some interesting draught lagers ( from a greenwich brewery).

That will be these guys:
http://www.meantimebrewing.com/

A bit heavy on the brand and marketing, but the product is actually pretty good.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#4 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

ahh! meantime beers!

I wasn't particularly planning to visit this place in a rush....but i will be now!

I love meantime beers, and shall make a point of going here next time i pop out for a pint!
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk

#5 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:35 AM

Will check out soon 8 cask beers its like a mini beer festival !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#6 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

just been for one. i think the place is run by hogs back brewery, they had 3 of the pumps, 2 were adnams and one was westerham. cant remember the others, but its a fine range of ales... the one I had was well kept. was very quite tho.

well worth trying. i need to see it in the evening really...
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#7 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:33 AM

We tried the G&G out yesterday, late afternoon'ish.

Impressions:
* Friendly staff, great range of beers. Wine range not so good (only 2 reds by the glass). 80s tracks being played.
* Decor a little bit hotel lobby'ish - lots of beige, not much colour, bit minimalistic. Could do with more colour, plants etc. Lights a bit too bright, but hopefully they dim them in the evenings.

It was pretty empty (compared to the White Hart and Alma, which were pretty full), but hopefully would have more atmosphere with more people. A few people wandered in, then wandered out again - they clearly had been expecting something more like the previous pub - it seems the new management are aiming for a different clientele though.

We will probably go back - mainly for the beer selection, and to see if it has more atmosphere with the lights lower and more people inside.

#8 LondonPooley

LondonPooley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:46 PM

We popped in last Thursday evening. We also found the staff friendly and helpful. They have a wide selection of real ales which Mr LondonPooley says makes a refreshing change. CAMRA members get a grand total of 10p of each pint, which isn't a huge amount but enough for you to make the effort of bringing your membership card. They also have some different continental lagers if that's your tipple. The decor was nice enough - lots of comfy sofas and high stools for the traditionalists. There were a few people in - it wasn't packed but it didn't feel like we were rattling around in a big empty space. We'll definitely be going there again and hope they manage to attract enough custom to keep going.

#9 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

I've not been in yet but it'll probably take time to get going, especially as there hasn't been much of a fanfare about the reopening. Most people probably haven't even noticed it's open yet. I'm heartened by the promise of decent beer and I do think there's a market for another decent pub as the White Hart has been a roaring success. Do they do food? If not, they should as they'll get more custom this way. Personally, I'm not a fan of sitting in pubs all night when there's no food on offer to mop up the alcohol!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#10 teri267

teri267

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

I haven't been in yet but noticed a sign for Homemade Sunday Roasts when I walked past! :-)

#11 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:31 AM

Excellent news!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#12 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

I've not been in yet but it'll probably take time to get going, especially as there hasn't been much of a fanfare about the reopening. Most people probably haven't even noticed it's open yet. I'm heartened by the promise of decent beer and I do think there's a market for another decent pub as the White Hart has been a roaring success. Do they do food? If not, they should as they'll get more custom this way. Personally, I'm not a fan of sitting in pubs all night when there's no food on offer to mop up the alcohol!

We popped in on saturday night, wanting to explore the meantime beers and check out the pub.

It was a bit quiet, but it didnt bother us due to they way the seating has been laid out.

We went back again on Monday afternoon to catch the last of the sun, and as the sun was not hitting the front of westow house, we tried the grape and grain...this time it was a lot busier, so hopefully people have started to discover this place.

The beers are great, and very cheap for continental / meantime beers.

Also gekko, we noticed a sign saying that food will be served soon...looked like standard pub food (fish and chips, burgers, sandwiches etc) All looked a reasonable price too!
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk

#13 juniper77

juniper77

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:03 PM

Popped in on Friday afternoon. Nice selection of ales and friendly staff. It was very quiet for a bank holiday afternoon, but I think that's because word just hasn't got around that it's open. We weren't even sure as we approached it! I think it will come into its own in good weather. I quite liked it, but Mr Juniper was a bit twitchy because it was so quiet - he thought it felt a bit like a hotel lounge. Will definitely go back and really hope it gets busier.

#14 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:25 PM

Hotel lounge look is kind of what I thought (see earlier post).

Would benefit from some colourful pictures/cushions and some more plants - actually especially cushions as I have short legs and when sitting right back on the armchairs and sofas my feet didn't touch the floor (a tad uncomfortably).

I wish it well though, it would be good to have another decent pub in the area. They also had the Sunday papers spread out on a table when we last popped in - always gets my vote!

Edited by Summit Lover, 14 April 2009 - 02:25 PM.

#15 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:44 PM

We went along to show willing and it seemed nice. A few different names on the pumps, as people have said, the papers, comfy chairs and friendly bar staff. Not sure how they can cosy up the space but it probably wouldn't go amiss. It seems to have gone for a hotel feel in traditional pub colours.

The menu was uninspired for such a major holiday weekend - when we first arrived and saw the food listed outside, we went elsewhere to find lunch then came back - but maybe that will improve when they find their feet.