Photo

The Grape and Grain

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (36 votes [65.45%])

Percentage of vote: 65.45%

2. Good (16 votes [29.09%])

Percentage of vote: 29.09%

3. Average (3 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Paramali

Paramali

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:28 AM

I have been waiting for nearly 30 years for this pub to turn into something decent and it has finally happened! The range of beers is truly excellent (both ales and lagers). No sign of John Smiths or Carling here thank goodness. I made a point (in the interests of research) to try several of the Real Ales and they were all beautifully kept. They are a bit on the pricey side but who cares. The staff are pleasant and knowledgeable and the decor is tasteful. A perfect place to read the paper with a couple of pints. The atmosphere is still a little sterile but more customers will help to put this right. The manager won't be able to maintain the range of beers he is currently offering unless he can sell them. So get down there and give it a try. I haven't tried the food but it looked and smelled very appetising. Not unreasonably priced either!

#17 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:12 PM

We are going to give it a try right now - we do like (Greenwich) Meantime Brews. We are joining another VN pal, so join us if you want (you'll have to know us from the socials, as we're not going to wear our special VN purple jumpsuits, flouncy hats, or anything).
cheers! Ziwa & Ziwa2

#18 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:30 PM

A range of 8 ales. Excellent, I will definitely have to check it out :-)

#19 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:41 PM

just bacl from th G&G - the local ales are really top notch.

#20 LizzieC

LizzieC

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

just bacl from th G&G - the local ales are really top notch.

We were there last night - pity there is no way we can identify fellow forum members 'cos would have said Hello.

First time we've been in the G&G and, like others, we were delighted to see a range of ales as both of us like our beers. The staff are lovely, Angela and Rick are a lovely couple and we've got to mention Troy who is the most laid back German Shepherd I've ever met. A big fur rug.

I am glad to see that Angela and Rick are working on attracting a different clientale than has previously frequented the establishment under it's different guises. We need a place were we can go to have a decent beer, relax with friends and be able to chat without loud music assaulting our ear-drums.

The icing on the cake for me was when Rick said he'd be more inclined to show rugby than football! Yeah!! With most of the pubs in the triangle putting the emphasis on football it'll be nice to have a "rugby" pub.

Yes, they could do with a few pictures of Crystal Palace (the area, not the football team) on the walls and perhaps some bamboo, or similar, plants to warm the place up. Someone mentioned cushions..... I agree with that. Partly for the effect and partly for the reasons the poster stated.

This is the type of place the Triangle needs so let's give it our full support.

I'll certainly be going back - probably next Saturday night. :D

#21 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

hi Lizzie (e-wave across the pub)!

It is a pub with a good feeling. The couple running it are friendly, the service is fast and the beer is really really excellent. There was William Wilberforce from Westerham, Wandle from Wandsworth, Naked Ladies from Twickenham, Meantime from Greenwich, something from Sussex....and maybe even another. If you believe in supporting local business, especially a creative one like brewing, go here for beer. I do like a laid-back pub dog and Troy fits to the bill (I wasn't introduced by name, but I did have a nice hello with him directly. He really is sociable, but also not pushy).

I have a few criticisms, but offered in the spirit of constructive pointers on things they might want to address:
We had a big plate of Nachos which was fine, generous, but lacked salsa. Isn't that one of the central ingredients (forgive me, but I lived on the Mexican border for a decade so perhaps my expectations are not adjusted for local tastes)? Tabasco rescued it from being only a plate of chips, cheese, beans and sour cream.

The sofas are too deep for someone with a bit of a bad back like me, and they pitch you back away from the people you came to talk to, so I ended up perching on the edge a lot. Cushions would help that a lot.

The music was exactly from one time slice and one general social demographic, which happens to be one I'm quite at home in, but I might imagine they'd want to get the mix a bit more mixed.

The loos - hmmm, huge, new, rattlingly capacious, yet somehow smelly and a bit grim feeling. One hand drier. Brown tile throughout. Long basement descent to get there. No wastebin. This could do with a critical re-appraisal. But then again, one shouldn't plan to spend a lot of time there.

We will definitely go back, probably soon, for the beer. (Ale! Ale! I stand corrected!)

Edited by Ziwa, 19 April 2009 - 03:45 PM.

#22 LizzieC

LizzieC

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:07 PM

You didn't have to wave across the pub Ziwa - from what you've said i.e. on the sofa and eating nachos, we were on the sofa next to you and your friends. Close enough to actually say Hi had we only known. Methinks those purple sweatshirts are going to have to come out from the closet.

The "only one hand-dryer" is a good point. If the pub was busy there would be one heck of a queue in the loos. Plenty of space in the loos themselves, cubicles, sinks and mirrors - adored the big mirror as well - but yes, another hand-dryer, probably two, would be beneficial as would waste baskets.

See you there again and hope to raise a pint of Ale with you next time around.

Incidentally - seeing so many of us like the place, why don't we hold May's social in there? Just a thought.

#23 Local

Local

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

why don't we hold May's social in there?

Now, I really would make the effort. I'm permanently in the eighties myself, and what with the real ale and Alsatian ...
Though not the Nachos, thanks all the same.

#24 clairy

clairy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

We went here on Friday night and I like the place. It was very quiet, but that meant we could grab the comfy seats and get served straight away. I'd definitely go back. It's a long old walk to the ladies toilets though!

#25 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:43 PM

I'm really pleased to see a pub with a wide selection of ales opening up around here. Judging from the music being played and the 70's-80's album covers over the menus, they're going for a somewhat older crowd instead of groups of young lads chucking back the lagers. It feels a bit like a provincial hotel bar in there, but I don't really mind that for a change - not everywhere has to be cutting edge and it seems quite a relaxing place for a drink. Service so far seems good too. I wasn't so impressed with the food I had - it wasn't terrible but the meat was rather tough - so I'd probably stick with the good beers for now.

#26 teri267

teri267

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:37 AM

As it was a nice sunny day yesterday, Mr Teri and I decided to pop in to the new Grape and Grain pub for a beverage and bit of food after our walk around the park. I have to say that I was impressed, although it wasn't as busy as I think it should be. The service was friendly and efficient, and it was lovely to be sat outside - I think they have made the outside area smart and welcoming and although you cannot escape the main road, the tall plants around the wall do add privacy and help you to forget it is there. Neither of us are real beer/ale drinkers, but Mr Teri was perfectly happy with his pint of Amstel and I was pleased with the choice of soft drinks, and I thought the prices were reasonable too. We each had a homemade burger with chips and salad, and for the price, it was filling and yummy! It makes a nice change to have a proper homemade burger rather than one of those thin grey-looking frozen bits of cardboard a lot of pubs serve! This burger had real red onion and herbs in it, and the salad was fresh and crisp and the chips were chunky! I also noticed that from the beginning of May they will be having live jazz on Sunday afternoons, which I think will be great. Another bonus is that they serve food until 4pm on Sunday, which is good for us as we like a later lunch on Sundays and it always bugs me when pubs stop serving at 2pm.

I do hope that this pub succeeds and more people go to it over the summer, as this is just the kind of pub we both enjoy and it is right on our doorstep!

#27 ClaireyM

ClaireyM

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:19 AM

We went last night for a few beers and something to eat. We both had the burger, which was a) massive and B) very tasty!
I liked how they'd done the interior, but have to agree on the toilet front - huge space but only 1 hand-dryer is a bit odd. And it was a bit smelly in there :(
Unfortunately, it was VERY quiet in there for a Friday night, but it meant we could have a proper conversation without having to shout at each other! Would definitely go back again! Will have to take my Dad so he can sample the real ales! :)

#28 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:50 AM

Ventured in for the first time yesterday (late Sunday afternoon). After reading the reviews here we SO wanted to enjoy it....

First impressions were favourable. Some time and effort has been taken on the decor etc. Very pleased to see the wide range of hand pumps and bottled beers (as well as wine).

Then it all went a bit downhill. I sampled three of the ales on offer (half pints each time) and found only one in really good condition, one OK and one decidedly dodgy. As others have commented if they are not selling quickly enough they won't stay fresh. Maybe he needs to reign in the options a little until custom picks up?

Sadly we enjoyed the bottled Belgian beer better than the ales.

Less than favourable report on the ladies toilet from t'other half too, with reports of a bit of a stench down there.

But oh dear, our biggest gripe is with the atmosphere. There simply isn't any. I appreciate it is a pretty big space to fill, but with about 8-10 customers inside it felt so soul less. The music playing in the background also had me tearing my hair out. T'other half summed it up very well by saying it reminded her of a hotel bar.

I love to concept and I really wish it well, but I have my doubts that it will survive. I'll return as it deserves some support, but it needs to make a few tweaks here and there.

#29 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

Finally tried this place out on Sunday, late afternoon. The service was very good and they are clearly targetting a different clientele to the previous owners. I tried one of the Westerham ales. Funnily enough, I'd had my first Westerham bitter the day before when I picked some up at a farm shop down near Penshurst. To be honest I found it quite watery and tasteless but that may just be my palate. At any rate, it's great to see guest ales from small breweries. My other half had the Meantime and was very impressed.

The decor doesn't quite hit it for me. The sofas are nice but those big blue formal armchairs are a bit odd and the tables are run-of-the-mill Weatherspoons fare. In fact, it did have quite a Weatherspoons vibe about the place, with the swirly carpet and uninspiring layout. Part of the problem is that the pub is big and takes some filling. There were about 10 people in but it looked dead. The music was very 80s but not in a hip retro way. The first CD was a mix of 80s stuff, the highlight being a Morrissey track and the lowest moment being Sade, which was followed by a Best of the Communards and Bronski Beat CD. Now, I'm not averse to a bit of Jimmy Somerville but it didn't really enhance the atmosphere of the place.

So, decent beer and good service but after one pint, we definitely wanted to head somewhere a bit more happening. I do hope they manage to pull it off but they really need to work hard on the decor and atmosphere they are trying to create.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#30 Yasmine

Yasmine

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:03 PM

Went in around a week ago looking for some pub grub, it was a Weekend if I recall. Was dissapointed though as they did not serve food untill 6pm. Think this could be a losing point for them as often go out for pub lunch at the weekend at quite an early evening time.... Dont know if they have changed it now???

Appart from that pub looks great and staff are freindly - just really wanted to eat and subsiquently went to the White Hart :(

Will hopefully visit again soon!