Photo

The Grape and Grain

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (36 votes [65.45%])

Percentage of vote: 65.45%

2. Good (16 votes [29.09%])

Percentage of vote: 29.09%

3. Average (3 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Local

Local

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

Perhaps they'll buy the former car showroom next door. Pull it down and it would make a lovely pub restaurant garden. It already has outline planning permission for A3 use (or so it says on the for sale board).

The Crystal Palace Triangle planning group could check it out this evening and lobby the ward councillors!

Perhaps they'll buy the former car showroom next door. Pull it down and it would make a lovely pub restaurant garden. It already has outline planning permission for A3 use (or so it says on the for sale board).

The Crystal Palace Triangle planning group could check it out this evening and lobby the ward councillors!

#47 Che

Che

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:37 PM

Went to the planning group meeting here and they gave us two large plates of toast, cream cheese, olives etc. Impressive.

#48 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:45 AM

We tumbled from the bus into the G&G yesterday in an effort to get out of the rain (it is perfectly placed to catch people at the top of the hill).

It was very quiet compared to the White Hart (which we walked past subsequently and which was heaving), and it does make me wonder why. Perhaps it is the blandly beige decor and the less than good wines by the glass that are available. Having said that I do think it has good things going for it, i.e., friendly bar staff and a good selection of papers to nose through.

I hope the place succeeds, but I do think it will need to tweak some aspects to bring the punters in in sufficient numbers to keep afloat.

#49 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:38 AM

Had a very enjoyable lunch here, uesterday. Vegetarian Quesadillas really hit the spot.
Rachel
My link

#50 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:54 PM

2 beers i reccomend at the mo

Summer Pearle & Tea

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#51 tommo

tommo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:09 AM

New weekly quiz night starting at the Grape & Grain on Wednesday 9th September. 7:30 for an 8pm start.

#52 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:32 PM

Does the G&G have live music every Sunday afternoon does anyone know?

#53 tommo

tommo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:00 AM

yes, there's live jazz every sunday from 2pm until about 4:30pm. Seriously good acts as well, mostly indoors now that autumn is here, but they held it outdoors during the summer. Great music with a superb roast dinner - a top way to chill out on a sunday.

#54 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:16 AM

yes, there's live jazz every sunday from 2pm until about 4:30pm. Seriously good acts as well, mostly indoors now that autumn is here, but they held it outdoors during the summer. Great music with a superb roast dinner - a top way to chill out on a sunday.

Excellent, thank you.

#55 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

We went to the G&G to listen to the jazz yesterday afternoon - what a treat! The singer (Gerogia Cruz... or something like that) was superb, such a lovely voice which lent itself to the cocktail jazz on offer, and an older guy on a Roland keyboard who was similarly good. They are back at the G&G in late December and I will definitely try to see them again.

There was a good, laid back atmosphere and we thoroughly enjoyed our few hours there. I tried the shiraz (by the glass) which was pretty good. My only less positive observations where as expressed previously are 1) they need to provide some cushions as the seating is generally designed for men with long legs (I feel a bit daft, and eventually uncomfortable, with my feet dangling a few inches above the floor - like a kid again), and 2) the place is far too blandly beige and needs some colour to bring it to life, e.g., brightly coloured cushions, plants etc.

All in all a very good experience though, and we will go back to see other acts on Sunday afternoons in the future.

#56 monkeyjoe

monkeyjoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:00 PM

I went here for my birthday drinks, having thought it looked very nice on their website. I was a little disappointed, it has all the elements of a good pub, but something seemed missing. I think it was other customers! The place is quite spacious, so you can really tell that there weren't a lot of people in there on a Friday night. We stayed until 12, so I think we gave it a fair shot.
Also, as has been previously mentioned, the smell in the ladies toilets was absolutely revolting. All the lovely air fresheners and fancy soaps weren't enough to mask that smell. What a shame.
The food was quite nice though. I'm not writing it off just yet, will give it another go.
MonkeyJoe
Moove2London

#57 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:07 PM

Just got back from a Sunday afternoon in G&G, having enjoyed the music a few weeks ago.

A somewhat different experience this time, the combo this time didn't hit the spot at all: a pretty girl with a very poorly trained voice going through some standards. Unfortunately, although she had some power in her voice, she couldn't hold notes and kept waivering a little tunelessly - I think with some voice training she could definitely improve. The organ player couldn't keep time - at all - which didn't help.

We had a pretty much ok lunch there, but wolfed it down to escape the music. Having said that, the place was fuller than I can ever remember, so a case of different strokes for different folks - even though we didn't enjoy that visit I am pleased that they are doing more business.

#58 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:55 PM

We were in there on Sunday too. Lunch was ok - filling, beers were great, settee was snuggly but the background music was terrible -well not to my taste anyway and a tad too loud.

#59 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

Really excellent place. SEVEN real ales on tap plus loads of great bottled ales including the great Meantime and Adnams offerings.

#60 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

Really excellent place. SEVEN real ales on tap plus loads of great bottled ales including the great Meantime and Adnams offerings.

It's always been my fear that there are too many pumps on. You'll need a lot of ale drinkers to get through the barrels whilst the beer is still good (goes very stale and loses life otherwise), but it never seems that busy. To be fair though, I've only had one slightly below par pint in there. AND they get some great stuff from Dark Star... A superb brewery.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter