Photo

The Grape and Grain

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (36 votes [65.45%])

Percentage of vote: 65.45%

2. Good (16 votes [29.09%])

Percentage of vote: 29.09%

3. Average (3 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

This place is growing on me... slowly but surely.

We spent a generally very pleasant few hours here yesterday. Very friendly service, and decent range of drinks (we were particularly impressed with the G&T - for a start they don't do the cheap, rough gins but have a good selection including Tanqueray (?sp) and Bombay Sapphire . They also sell a lovely, organic 'botanical' tonic called Fentimans, which is dryer and much less intrusive than the usual bog standard ones.

It was good to see that they are still doing jazz there on Sundays, but the singer's (same as one last time we went a few weeks ago, although they do change the act regularly) voice does not lend itself well to jazz unfortunately. The only real downside were the small crowd of over excited toddlers and kids that came with the singer and her entourage, and who eventually were running up and down shrieking - not conducive to a relaxing afternoon listening to cocktail jazz (not the kids fault at all of course, they were just being kids. The parents though ... that is a different matter).

All in all though, we are finding the G&G more and more attractive. At least you can get a seat in there - pretty much impossible in the White Hart on a Sunday.

#62 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:02 PM

I really love the place. Very comfortable and great range of draught and bottled beer. It's also not as loud or crowded as many of the other options.

#63 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:50 AM

I really love the place. Very comfortable and great range of draught and bottled beer. It's also not as loud or crowded as many of the other options.

My thoughts entirely. It is an excellent addition to the Triangle. And it has been the ideal venue for some great meetings of the Cinema Campaign and the CPTPG.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#64 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:01 AM

Found on the SE London CAMRA website:
http://www.selcamra.org.uk/news.html

The Grape and Grain located at Crystal Palace opened on the evening of the 3rd April. Rick Wright (pictured right) the Landlord has a array of 8 real ales on offer including beers from local microbreweries such as Sambrooks and Westerhams and offer a disount to CAMRA members. The pub has not served real ale for many years and has had many names including the Occaisional Half, Sportsman, Crystal Palace Tavern and most latterly Jack Beards at the Palace. We wish Rick and his team success in running this pub. The Grape and Grain is also one of the first 2 pubs in the branch to sign up to the LocAle scheme.

:)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#65 seamus m

seamus m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

Great band on Monday eves

#66 LizzieC

LizzieC

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:00 PM

Bit of an update of sorts:

http://www.selcamra.org.uk/poty.html

#67 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:26 PM

Bit of an update of sorts:

http://www.selcamra.org.uk/poty.html

Well down Rick and Angela! :D (Not to impressed with CAMRA's spelling abilities though :unsure: ).

#68 LizzieC

LizzieC

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:11 PM

Well down Rick and Angela! :D (Not to impressed with CAMRA's spelling abilities though :unsure: ).

:D :D :P

Will this be another Purple Parlour night? ;)

#69 grapegrain

grapegrain

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:40 PM

Hi Folks, just a bit of advertising to let you know that we are holding a Beer festival from 8th - 11th Oct with over twenty ales from across the country.

Rick

#70 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hi Folks, just a bit of advertising to let you know that we are holding a Beer festival from 8th - 11th Oct with over twenty ales from across the country.

Rick

Can't wait to try them.
Always the best selection and best kept ales in the triangle and beyond.
Hope the 'Leeds Best Bitter' makes a comeback.

#71 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:49 AM

The G&G has a well deserved mention in the CAMRA bible - the Good Beer Guide 2011:
http://www.camra.org...e.aspx?o=192602

Purity Pure Gold; Guest Beers
This CC Taverns pub has had many incarnations including Jack Beard's, the Sportsman and the Crystal Palace, but in its current format it is probably at its best. Rick the landlord excels, offering six guest ales concurrently, including such delights as Adnams Oyster Stout, and playing host to 'meet the brewer' events. An ideal place to meet friends for hearty food as well as good beer, this pub has monthly book meetings and live music at the weekends.

Good to see SE19 in the guide :)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#72 LizzieC

LizzieC

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:06 PM

Rick

Chris and I will certainly be there. Wild horses won't keep us away from savouring, what we know will be, a great selection of beers.

#73 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

the pub is becoming what it deserves to be. Nicely packed in a friendly way early this evening. A really big well done to Rick and Angela.

Reason for edit: repetition of "really"

Edited by andreas, 26 September 2010 - 10:14 PM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#74 BettyTrain

BettyTrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:00 AM

The Grape and Grain in currently the only pub we bother to frequent. Always a great welcome, staff are friendly, the Manager looks after his customers which makes me feel very happy about waiting for my husband inside and not outside! My husband has a different beer/lager each time he goes in there - unheard of elswhere in the palace and on Sunday afternoon whilst listening to a wonderful jazz singer we had lunch which is pub grub with an interesting slant. and no i don't work there but if i needed a bar job it could be my first choice... can i praise it any higher?

#75 grapegrain

grapegrain

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

The Beer festival list is available on www.thegrapeandgrainse19.co.uk

Rick

Edited by Elmo, 04 October 2010 - 10:29 AM.
added link