Photo

Thai Crystal

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (11 votes [73.33%])

Percentage of vote: 73.33%

2. Good (3 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Poor (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 danielm

danielm

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

This restaurant has been called Thai Crystal for about 4 months now, although it is now back under the same ownership as previously and the menus once again read Nim's Kitchen. The food is excellent and I think they are being done a disservice by not having an up to date review topic title which I think needs to give both names as the shopfront says Thai Crystal. Please can the moderators provide this (I will try to PM someone about this). As for a review, I just ate there and had really good beef rendang (new on menu). I enjoyed this meal more than I have done many for a long time. I heartily recommend going here if you've never tried it!

Edited by Summit Lover, 06 January 2011 - 06:27 PM.

#2 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:01 PM

Went last Friday. Service was good food was excellent. Went based on the reviews on her and would certainly return. Liked it. It could have done with being a bit busier but thats understandable in the current times.

#3 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

I couldn't recommend Nim's Kitchen/Crystal Thai more if I tried. Nim is such a lovely host - so welcoming and friendly - and the food is consistently good. I wish it was busier in there as it's such a gem on the triangle. :D

#4 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:32 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Thai Crystal
7 Westow Hill, Crystal Palace, London SE19 1TQ
Opening hours - tbc

Phone: 0208 766 8820

(Previously AKA Nim's Kitchen)

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#5 OurPippin

OurPippin

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:16 PM

We just came back from a lovely Saturday afternoon lunch at Thai Crystal. The food was excellent - a great selection for a quick, convenient lunch. Mind you, it didn't turn out to be quick as we ended up chatting with Nim herself, the owner, who was as delightful as the food. Couldn't recommend this place more: forget Tamnag and South East, if you want home cooked Thai in the triangle, and personal service with a smile, get your booty down to Thai Crystal.

#6 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:17 PM

We just came back from a lovely Saturday afternoon lunch at Thai Crystal. The food was excellent - a great selection for a quick, convenient lunch. Mind you, it didn't turn out to be quick as we ended up chatting with Nim herself, the owner, who was as delightful as the food. Couldn't recommend this place more: forget Tamnag and South East, if you want home cooked Thai in the triangle, and personal service with a smile, get your booty down to Thai Crystal.

Wow, that sounds great! I'm ready for a change from Tanmag, so will give it a try! I'll miss the parasols on the ceiling though! :P

#7 hellnick

hellnick

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

Just returned from Nim's Kitchen/Thai Crystal on a cold. slippy and slushy night - first time I've bee there and am so happy to have found such a delightful place to eat. Must admit that I had doubts about the space, but they all disappeared as soon as the food started to arrive - superb ingredients and fresh, happy flavours.

If you have an idea of how Thai food should taste but no other restauarant in London has ever delivered, then visit Nim's Kitchen/Thai Crystal for a real treat.

Edited by hellnick, 13 January 2010 - 09:24 PM.

#8 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

I agree, Thai Crystal is a much underrated local gem (ha ha). Only word of caution, don't go for the fried ice cream, was like lead balloon when Mr N had it. But then I wouldn't go for the puds in any Thai/Indian/Chinese restaurant, favouring the sponge/tart end of the dessert spectrum.

#9 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

I had a lovely pad Thai from there a few weeks ago. Mmmm.

#10 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:32 PM

We had a great night out at, what I will always continue to think of as, Nim's. We decided to go mainly seafood, and all was very fresh, perfectly spiced, beautifully served.

The ambiance is very calming - it sort of has the feel of a 'relaxation spa' with nice lighting, soft colours, unchallenging but pleasing decor. The place was half full (nicely full) and they made an effort to seat everyone at alternate, widely spaced tables so you had a sense of privacy.

The service at Nim's is really welcoming - a level of unobtrusive hospitality that is very rare these days.

#11 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:38 PM

We had a great night out at, what I will always continue to think of as, Nim's. We decided to go mainly seafood, and all was very fresh, perfectly spiced, beautifully served.

The ambiance is very calming - it sort of has the feel of a 'relaxation spa' with nice lighting, soft colours, unchallenging but pleasing decor. The place was half full (nicely full) and they made an effort to seat everyone at alternate, widely spaced tables so you had a sense of privacy.

The service at Nim's is really welcoming - a level of unobtrusive hospitality that is very rare these days.

How funny Ziwa, my husband was there yesterday too! He seemed a bit less impressed though. Said it was nice and the soup was delicious, but it didn't have that feeling of something very special as the Tamnag Thai has. He didn't pay, so couldn't comment on the price.

#12 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

I had a take out over the weekend and the food was lovely. Keep it coming!

#13 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:25 PM

ah, misspoddy, we were there on Saturday.

Some of the more unusual things on the former Nim's menu are no longer there, like a lovely baked aubergine. But overall we were very happy with our meal.

#14 Andy_M

Andy_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

Over the last couple of weeks, have eaten in there and got a take-away. Both have been fantastic, very reasonable prices and deliciosu food. The spicy chicken salad in particular was superb. Is less showy that some of that other Thai's in the triangle, but is well worth checking out.

#15 CupKate

CupKate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

Is this the resteraunt with the umbrellas on the ceiling? I've always wanted to go in there, but forget the name. My 2 fave resteraunts in the world are in the triangle so it will take a lot for me to try somewhere new when I'm so close to my 2 faves!