Photo

Thai Crystal

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (11 votes [73.33%])

Percentage of vote: 73.33%

2. Good (3 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Poor (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:58 AM

Is this the resteraunt with the umbrellas on the ceiling? I've always wanted to go in there, but forget the name. My 2 fave resteraunts in the world are in the triangle so it will take a lot for me to try somewhere new when I'm so close to my 2 faves!

No it's not the one with umbrellas. This is the small restaurant (easy to miss) near to Sefgroves Pharmacy and Iceland. You really should give it a try. It is the undiscovered gem of Crystal Palace. We eat there all the time and can't recommend it highly enough. No umbrellas but lovely food and ambiance. Great for an after work meal or a romantic rendevouz. Gtreat food Great value.

#17 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:09 AM

I very much agree with Silver. This is one of the nicest restaurants in Crystal Palace - both for food and ambience. Well worth a visit.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#18 andrewparsons

andrewparsons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:45 AM

Went here last night,, denied the flashier charms of Tamnag due to it being full.

Excellent food - specially hot+sour soup - friendly service and good value. Will definitely be going back.

#19 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:13 AM

Went last night with Mrs Elmo - seriously good food. So fresh, so tasty, so well prepared. These guys care about what they do and it shows.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#20 h_scholes

h_scholes

• Sponsors
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

Hi, not sure how to let the moderator know (other than via this post) but the phone number given for Thai Crystal on VN is incorrect. It should be 020 8766 8820 not 020 8776 8820 as given on VN. Just thought I'd let the powers-that-be know (and spare the owner of the other phone number the wrong number calls!).

#21 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

Hi, not sure how to let the moderator know (other than via this post) but the phone number given for Thai Crystal on VN is incorrect. It should be 020 8766 8820 not 020 8776 8820 as given on VN. Just thought I'd let the powers-that-be know (and spare the owner of the other phone number the wrong number calls!).

Done - many thanks for pointing this out.

#22 cheerfulmusicman

cheerfulmusicman

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

A great Thai restaurant proving that you don't need the showy opulence of Tamnag, instead you get good food, friendly service, laid back atmosphere and a lower bill at the end of the night!

#23 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

After a lovely meal in here a few weeks ago we tried a takeaway from here last night, which was wonderful - tasty, fresh, hot and delivered quickly. this is my favourite thai on the triangle by far - after experiencing rude service and okay food in tamnang thai one too many times i will not be going there again. at thai crystal the service is always lovely - okay the interiors may not be as flashy as tamnag but if great food and service is your priority there's no contest. the only thing i wasn't keen on was the sweetcorn in the egg fried rice.

#24 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:50 PM

The food is is very tasty! Mmmm, pad thai.

#25 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:28 PM

I tried it jst the once - food was quite nice - but there was hardly anyone in there - which is often seems to be the case when I've walked by - shame, as like Russ Abbot, I like a Pad Thai with a liddle atmosphere...............!

is that the worst joke ever on here? - hope so - am really pleased with that one

#26 cheerfulmusicman

cheerfulmusicman

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:33 AM

Visited again last night and had a lovely time in the warm, out of the cold night air, just the tonic, spent a good few hours kicking back with a spicy soup starter, mains including stir-fried chicken and cashew nut, and spicy aubergine.

It is usually quiet on a Sunday and we manage to string out the meal, and never feel hurried, the staff are lovely and like a bit of chat but never to the point of being intrusive.

My regular co-diner has spent some time in Thailand and rates the authenticity and quality of their food. I have also been branching out from my regular red/green curries and tried the stir-fry dishes, going to have some fish next time I think.

Highly recommended!

#27 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

After our beloved South East closed we decided we ought to try Thai Crystal (no point in even considering the Tamnag in its present incarnation) - particularly as thai is our favourite cuisine. We had tried it as Nim's Kitchen and weren't too impressed, but we thought we ought to give the place another go last Friday evening.

I regret to say (and I do mean regret, as I really wanted to like it) that I was disappointed with the experience. On the plus side, the decor was lovely and the ambience very good. The staff were friendly, but we found it difficult to get their attention as they were very busy sorting out take away orders.

It was good to get a dish of prawn crackers to start with, but they tasted a bit stale. R found his fish dish average to good, but I was disappointed with my choice of main - I went for chicken in a sauce with curry paste, it sounded lovely but the pieces of chicken were dark brown and far too tough, in fact it was very difficult to cut into them. To be fair, when I complained, a replacement dish came quickly and the chicken was a better colour and easier to cut into. We both found our main meals very salty too (and I LOVE salty food). Another disappointment was the garlic rise - it didn't taste much of garlic and was pretty dry and chewy (not in a lovely 'sticky rice' way, but in an overly re-heated kind of way).

We will probably give it another go at some point if another decent thai doesn't come in to replace South East, but I must admit I don't feel like going back any time soon :( Having said that, it seemed pretty full, so I don't suppose that they will miss our custom.

#28 Andy_M

Andy_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:04 PM

Really like this place, both to eat in and for take-aways. Took me a while to find it as (like many others I imagine) was drawn to the brighter lights of the more ostentatious Thai restaurant further up the road. But the food is great (particularly the satay sauce and the spicy chicken salad) and is a nice place for a meal. Can got a lot of take-away there for not much money, and it turns up prety quickly. Definitely worth a look.

#29 cheerfulmusicman

cheerfulmusicman

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

If I keep posting on this thread people will think I never eat at home, but we went there Wednesday for my friend's birthday, six of us, all very nice as usual and they even looked after the birthday cake, lit the candles and brought it out at the end of the meal.

Top stuff!

#30 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

Went to Thai Crystal for the first time in a long time on Friday evening. Most enjoyable. I thought the food and service was very good. I will certainly be going back.