Photo

South East

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (45 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (22 votes [48.89%])

Percentage of vote: 48.89%

2. Good (14 votes [31.11%])

Percentage of vote: 31.11%

3. Average (5 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. Poor (4 votes [8.89%])

Percentage of vote: 8.89%

Vote

#31 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:20 AM

Oh dear - sounds as if you had an off night, OG_Mudboom. Sorry to hear about your experience.

For me and Lady Andreas though, it's one of our favourite restaurants in the Triangle - lovely food and charming service. It's always been popular with friends we've taken there too.

And a note for carnivores, try the South East Fabulous as a shared starter. :)
opposed to taking terrapins.

#32 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:36 AM

Went there last night.
The food was great the service was brilliant and the price moderate

VERY VERY nice indeed
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#33 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:36 AM

On a recent visit to South East, the service was very good and the food was also memorably good.

The layout and decor of the restaurant is pleasant which makes for a decent dining experience. The only let-down was a perfunctory dessert menu which is duplicated in several other restaurants in the triangle.... a few pre-packaged ice cream based desserts which really is incongruous with the delicately prepared food offered for the preceding 2 courses. Never mind... good enough to go to for the preceding 2 courses.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#34 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:06 AM

ordered some take away yesterday and it was gorgeous --- a foot above anyone around here
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#35 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:14 AM

LSPE - you had a very foodie weekend!!

#36 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:21 AM

yeah I did ......
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#37 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:05 PM

Had a take-away from here last night and it was every bit as good as I remember.

This is still the absolute number one Thai food for miles around.

#38 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:20 PM

yes I love this restaurant. Does your comment, jannism, about being the "absolute number one Thai food for miles around" mean that you ordered a delivery to Ditcheat, Somerset? :)

Edited by andreas, 11 April 2008 - 12:22 PM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#39 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:01 PM

We went to South East a couple of weeks ago and the food was excellent and the service was very good and very hospitable.
The overall experience was very good and the menu is extensive.

By far the best Thai restaurant in the triangle.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#40 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:07 PM

Sorry but I went a few weeks ago and thought the food was rather ordinary! The vegetables consisted mainly of white cabbage with a few other bits on top to make it look good.
aka Pie

#41 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:16 PM

Does your comment, jannism, about being the "absolute number one Thai food for miles around" mean that you ordered a delivery to Ditcheat, Somerset?

Oh, if only, Andreas! While the rest of the country spends the school holidays in far-flung, sunny places, my lot visit the metropolis of Crystopolis...

...mind you, I did once get a take-away prior to my journey home and reheated it on arrival... :unsure:

#42 Cavenagh

Cavenagh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:07 PM

The food here is really lovely - and having travelled to Thailand I can safely say that it tastes a lot more authentic than the bland (in my opinion) food at nearby Tamnag Thai. The food is always zingy and fresh with a deft use of chilli - and they'll happily make it as spicy as you like, as a lot of Thai restaurants in this country make everything taste sugary and bland to suit the British palate. I can't believe this place isn't heaving every night - the service is fantastic too, always smiley and very polite. A very underrated gem - and superb value for money!

#43 edlee

edlee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:16 AM

I was in on Saturday (03/05/08). Afraid to say I found it all :unsure: rather nonplussing. Had some overcooked filo wrapped prawns to start and what was supposed to be monkfish for main (it was wet in the middle which means it was from frozen). In hindsight, I suppose I should have expected this, they aren't busy enough to warrant buying expensive fresh fish every day. Anyway it wasn't nasty or bad or anything, just a bit disappointing and as Sylvester says, very ordinary. Won't be hurrying back but won't avoid it ...

#44 Sarah

Sarah

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:22 PM

I ordered a takeaway from here last week. Never again. It was awful. Soggy inspid food. I won't use them again.

#45 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:49 PM

South East is consistently the best thai for miles around, it certainly beats the tamnag into a cocked hat. Wonderful thai food, very good service - hate it when we can't get a table.