Photo

South East

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (45 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (22 votes [48.89%])

Percentage of vote: 48.89%

2. Good (14 votes [31.11%])

Percentage of vote: 31.11%

3. Average (5 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. Poor (4 votes [8.89%])

Percentage of vote: 8.89%

Vote

#46 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:04 PM

Me and Mr N like South East but the menu is hit and miss. We had a takeaway last week and my rich king prawn curry was absolutely delicious - but mr N's soft shell crabs not so much - 2 of said crustacea smeared with peanut butter - weird and bland. In my experience don't go too far off piste and you'll be fine.

#47 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:36 AM

There is only one thing worse than terrible food and it could not have been more terrible and that is when yur complaints are taken in with as much interest as a comment on the weather.

I can honestly say that it was the worst meal we have had anywhere and we have travelled a bit! The starter platter was oil ridden and trasteless. The main course king prawns trasted like an Iceland chicken filllet that had been frozen and left to thaw and get soggy before before being fried in bad, discoloured oil. I would not have served the days old veg up at home - in fact I would not have bothered to cook them. Inedible! and the pineapple tasted off enough to put me off the remaining dish of thai red curry and rice. I was extremely hungry and so ate a bit more than I would normaslly have done but I paid the price. I felt so sick at the thought of the meal and the fear of what was to come that fot the first time in my life, I could not face a drink in the pub after. (although this lasted only for an hour!)

Being mindful of the forum guidlines and general courtesy and because the waitress asked us if the meal was OK, we told her it was unacceptacle and basically horrid. She went away and returned only to ask us what ice cream we wanted to complete our set meal - ice cream or lemon sorbet. We chose sorbet. She returned some time later to say that there was no sorbet and could we choose something off the main menu. We were a little miffed at this small and ratrher laboured gesture of a slightly more expensive dsessert choice but ordered pancakes. When the bill came, we had been charged the extra for the desserts!

We were very dissappointed by this terrible behaviour and will never go there again.

It occurs to me that restaurants get away with a lot because I did not want to complain to my partner who was paying and my partner was hoping that if he ignored it, the meal would not be such an expensive and unpleasant experience. Unfortuanately although 45 quid is not the end of the world, the behaviour and indifference of the staff niggles away at you for the rest of the evening and the fact that I am typing this now shows that the bad taste in my mouth from the meal and the service may last even longer.

I will not be as silent as they are. I will certainly warn my friends and colleagues against going there.

They will lose more than the cost of an extgra dessert.

I really feel that the Thai restaurants in Palace have got to raise the bar or our present reputation as an eating area is going to suffer.

#48 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:29 PM

How very bizarre! :)

South East is one of our favourite 3 restaurants in CP, with experiences of gorgeous food and lovely, friendly service each time we visist (which is frequent).

Just goes to show - different strokes for different folks.

#49 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:03 PM

With respect, It's got nothing to do with different strokes for different folks the food was dreadful and the service was rubbish!

#50 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:21 PM

Your opinion - as was mine.

I recall that you defended the White Hart when I was giving constructive criticism - likewise I am defending a restaurant that I have found to be one of the best three in the triangle. Consistently.

I do feel that constructive criticisms of places in CP are positive interjections - as opposed to out and out diatribes. All of us who live in the area want the various places in CP to improve,....do we not? (and the White Hart has definitely improved since my and other's comments - although I am not necessarily making a correlation).

Anyway, I added my comment after your diatribe to bring a bit of balance. Especially to people who might be considering going there. My perogative, even't if you do disagree.

Edited by Summit Lover, 20 November 2008 - 09:22 PM.

#51 SarahC

SarahC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:42 PM

We've had a mixed experience. We had a good meal last week but a disappointing takeaway last night. Spare ribs were very fatty and the Volcano chicken consisted of two small boney pieces of chicken covered in curry paste. Shame as we were hoping it would be a good alternative to Tamnag and Thai Crystal which is not the same since the change from Nim's. I agree that the thai restaurants in the area could do with pulling up their socks.

We've had a mixed experience. We had a good meal last week but a disappointing takeaway last night. Spare ribs were very fatty and the Volcano chicken consisted of two small boney pieces of chicken covered in curry paste. Shame as we were hoping it would be a good alternative to Tamnag and Thai Crystal which is not the same since the change from Nim's. I agree that the thai restaurants in the area could do with pulling up their socks.

#52 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:42 AM

We ate here last night for the first time in a while - we had a couple of average meals here earlier this year, but we have become used to better than average from SE).

Lovely, lovely meal and charming service. We asked for a little extra chilli in our respective chicken and duck dishes and boy did we get it - I love the combination of fierce heat and sweetness in some thai dishes. They also provide a little dish of soy sauce with fresh chillies in it if you ask for it...yum.

#53 Kas

Kas

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

I think South East is by far the best Thai restaurant in Crystal Palace. At least here, the food is fresh and the veggies aren't overcooked. And the staff is not arrogant. They are friendly and attentionate from beginning to end, not only when it comes to leave the tip. We will stick to South East when we fancy a local Thai now.

#54 kaer

kaer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:01 PM

Hi all,

Just tried calling up South East, but the phone seems to be disconnected.

And I vaguely recall today walking past a shut thai place, which I thought might be South East?

So does anyone know if they are still open?

I've only ever done home delivery from them, so wasn't sure of their restaurant location.

#55 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

Hi all,

Just tried calling up South East, but the phone seems to be disconnected.

Hi Kaer, South East has, I'm afraid, closed down. This restaurant is really good - I don't know whether they do take aways, but worth a try:

Thai Crystal 7 Westow Hill, SE19, 0208 766 8820

andreas
opposed to taking terrapins.

#56 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

Not sure why anyone is stil giving opinions on this place as closed down. The rates for this place is 25 k fancy taken it over ? No I didnt think so !

Thread should be closed no point !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#57 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

Not sure why anyone is stil giving opinions on this place as closed down. The rates for this place is 25 k fancy taken it over ? No I didnt think so !

Thread should be closed no point !

Dazza

25,000 a year - that's madness. So that's about 80 a day to the landlord just for turning up and passing go. Vive la revolution! (joke). Anyhow, I agree, this thread needs to be closed - no chance of take aways anymore.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#58 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:51 AM

Locked. Shut. Closed. Finished.

Onwards and upwards... :)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter