• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 phoenix

phoenix

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

I see that there will be an Easter Market located at Victory Place this Easter. I understand, from their website, that it will be a market like Borough and Greenwich combined - I dont see how they can fit it all in though? Looking at their website - you have to register to become a trader guest to get all the information - a 3.5metre stall will cost 150 for the three days. A little different in price to the Alma - will it bring in the crowds? I understand that there are still vacancies for traders to apply. Idont know whether this will work as you have to go some to recoup your outlay what do other posters feel? Thought I would bring it to VN attention.

#2 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:04 PM

I feel it's a direct competition to the Alma market......... if it's only a one off, than that's ok, however, if it's a more regular thing.....

more details here

market square group

I don't think there's space for two markets.... Admittedly Victory Place is probably a better, busier location for the traders?
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#3 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

Sounds brilliant, especially if it lives up to its promise! I havent seen much advertising around palace / the surrounding areas, so not sure what sort of numbers they can expect.

Looking forward to having a walk round there though!
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk

#4 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

It sounds like they'd like to make it pretty regular from the info on that link:

Market Square Group is very positive about the prospects of turning Victory Place into a regular venue.

To be honest, whilst the Alma market started off well it has become less vibrant and useful over time. It's not possible to sustain a market with crafts alone, especially in the current climate. The sausage stand and the veg stall provided something that Crystal Palace lacked but last time I went it was about five stalls selling crafts, many of which you can find in our shops anyway. A local market needs to sell stuff that will keep people coming back week in week out.

I think there's demand for a more traditional-style market, of the sort that still exists in many towns, including the one where I grew up. These places have fishmongers, butchers, cheesemongers, haberdasheries, hardware stalls, basic clothing (like underwear, jeans, tshirts), second hand books etc. etc. some of which we don't have in CP and were noted on the 'What can't you buy in the triangle?' thread.

Weekend markets mean that vendors don't have to sustain a local trade throughout the week, which makes them ideal for this area. Instead they can go somewhere where there is more footfall on weekdays like busy town centres. So I do think a market could be a good solution. Shame we can't knock a few of the empty shop units together and create a big indoor market as we don't really have a great outdoor space for this.

Coming back to the Victory Place market, if they are going for the Borough Market end of things, I think they may struggle but good luck to them and I'll definitely be paying a visit. I think the Alma struggled with sourcing vendors on a regular basis so hopefully the Market Square Group have better access to potential stallholders.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#5 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

exactly!

Id love to have a market where i can pic up some fresh fruit and veg for the week, some fish / meat for weekend dinners, and maybe something out while im there for lunch.

Maybe some nice coffee, or chocolates etc.

Last time i went to the alma, there wasn't even any fruit and veg!
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk

#6 phoenix

phoenix

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

I havent seen much advertising for this market - I have heard that some traders that have expressed interest have only just been contacted. I have my concerns that the cost of 150 for three days (will there be enough custom for three days?) and Sainsburys and other shops usually close Easter Sunday- so that day may be a damper. We do need a good fruit and veg outlet as well as a good fishmonger but is there the money locally to sustain a Borough type market? which is patronised by tourists and city workers as well as locals? Whilst the Alma was good to start off with I think Croydon Enterprise, who supported it at the beginning, perhaps should work with them to iron out any problems regarding sourcing good vendors. What is most worrying, whilst I do not believe in protectionism, this is a big outside market organisation coming into the Palace and who knows it may have an adverse effect on local enterprise not a positive one if it shuts down the other markets in the area. I think they "deliver" markets going by their website.

I understand that if this is successful they want to make it a regular weekend market - bye bye Alma and also take in themed market days such as handicrafts, antiques and collectables and such like - will those that are craft makers be able to afford the rents? and if not where do they start off? We have the art in shops idea because nobody now can afford to open a shop, yet we are going to have market traders travelling, by road, from quite away away to trade here in Crystal Palace.A lot to think about but hey if this is such a professional outlet why havent they done their advertising? Apparently they have no loos either, for the traders, they are being told to use the pub next door. All I saw were the banners and a piece of white paper 8 inches by 6 with Victory Place and the dates and times. Perhaps Croydon Enterprise who supports the ALma and now Victory Place should take a look at who are they really supporting - local trade or big business? What about haynes lane antiques market? will someone muscle in on that now?

#7 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:26 AM

Where is Victory Place?

#8 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:47 AM

On Westow Street on the other side of the road from Sainsbury's.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#9 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:40 AM

its the space between los toreros tapas place and the salon. It used to be the hand car wash place.... will be good to see a nice busy bustling Palace this weekend....
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#10 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

I think that if they set up a decent food market (fullstop) with no nik-naks that have overtaken the Alma market then it might succeed. Alma (as mentioned above) was great when they had several food stalls but now it's only down to a couple of good food stalls whilst the rest is pretty much a waste of space (for me anyway and I can apopreciate that this might not represent the majority of the views). Are we doing these markets because there is a demand or to fill in the empty slots/stalls? Because if we do not listen to what people want then is there is no point to set these up. Sausage stall, veggie stall ... where have they gone? Are people buying, are there incentives for these shops to get a stall? or are we just talking a lot saying we want these but then we do not actually buy much?
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#11 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

Lots of great questions for discussion here. Re the sausage and veg stalls at the Alma, I think you need several food stalls to make it work. People won't go out of their way to buy fruit and veg at a market when they still have to go to Sainsburys/Tesco/Waitrose to buy their meat, fish, dairy etc. However, I do think if a market offers a wide selection, people will make the effort to go regularly. By all means throw a few craft stalls in there but you aren't going to get locals shopping at these stalls on a weekly basis; there are only so many necklaces/bags/hats/brooches that people need, especially in a recession.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#12 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

Point taken re the mainly crafts section of the Alma market. I was surprised to see NO veg and no other foods (other than take away)

Will pay the market a visit over Easter - basically ANY market will be good for CP !!! :)
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#13 keitha

keitha

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:50 AM

Crystal Palace residents deserve a good market and I'm sure that people will support it if it's located near Sainsbury's. The Alma market has had long enough to prove itself and has failed to offer what is needed. In the entire time the Alma market has been running I've spent less than a tenner there because I can't buy bread, fruit, vegetables, cheese, meat or fish there.

#14 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

Im hoping for bread & cakes, veg, olives & dips etc, sweets (its easter!), juice & coffees that sort of thing - fingers crossed - yes i agree about the alma market - loved the bread and cakes and the hot food stalls but again ive only got so much disposable income to buy yet another bag or necklace...
ive got a few pics from when The Alma market was thriving with food! just uploading them on the WiKi thingy now.... :blink:
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#15 phoenix

phoenix

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

I just wonder how the proposed Victory Place market will dovetail with those who were in initial discussions for a shop stocking organics and the like - perhaps both could merge into something? It would be interesting if say a group of the "shop supporters" took a 6 week licence(apparently it helps with the rates issue for the owners I was informed) on an empty shop and tested the water? Just a thought.