• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

As one of the relatively small number who attended all the shop meetings, I'll mention that the consensus was that a real walk-in shop with standing stock and staff was beyond the scope of what any of us could assemble at the moment. The far more sensible option would be to have a distribution network for some kinds of food (speciality, 'white goods', or somesuch) which after proving itself might turn into a shop later. But it really takes a lot of work and commitment (read: TIME, not only enthusiasm) to make any of this happen, so we are considering the best approach. Stay tuned, but don't expect a community shop with a door and smiling staff for quite a long time.

#17 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:04 AM

I feel it's a direct competition to the Alma market......... if it's only a one off, than that's ok, however, if it's a more regular thing.....

more details here

market square group

I don't think there's space for two markets.... Admittedly Victory Place is probably a better, busier location for the traders?

If successful, this market will bring many customers to the Alma. If the Alma ever regains its initial vibrancy it will do well if not it wont. It really is as simple as that. When it started, it had fruit and veg and sausages etc. That is what attracts people. Some people have voiced concerns over the festivals taking trade from the Alma market. This is quite frankly ridiculous. When it comes to market stalls etc. it really is a case of 'the more the merrier' Anyone who visits the area is a potential customer for all and if you have got what they want, you will thrive. If you do not thrive with more customers, then that would say more about your market than the competition. We have got to attract customers here somehow and they are more likely to take on the one way system and hunt for parking if there is a lot fmore for them to do than look around one small market.

Edited by Silver, 10 April 2009 - 07:04 AM.

#18 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:18 AM

Is it Sat/Sun/Mon or Fri/Sat/Sun?

It would be SO good to have a regular market for fresh food. I really notice the lack of a butchers/greengrocers/fish shop/bakery in CP, to be honest i'm get sick of sainsbury's and west norwood market's a bit of a trek on foot.

#19 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

I have jsut returned from the market and it is fab. It is going to be awaesome when it gets going and it may be every week if we support it! PLants, Food, Sausages, The best bread I have ever seen (PUmpkin and date and mango etc FAB and a lot more. It is just what we needed in CP

#20 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

hoorah! my wishes have been granted - olives, baklava, cakes, sausages, lots of french cheeses yum, meats, tasty jerk stall, plants - not sure if the jewellery stalls will have many buyers because of the jewellery stalls we have in the other markets but good luck to all of them :)
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#21 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

I popped along today and was so glad I did!

I'm now stocked up on more sausages than I could eat in a month thanks to the extremely helpful and enthusiastic guy selling them and he had some lovely joints of meat there too. I also bought some gorgeous ham from the French stall and would have got some of the fab looking garlic prawns except it was 11.00 am and I felt it was too early to stuff my face - wish I had now. Oh well, back tomorrow lunchtime I suppose ;)

I loved it, congrats to all involved :D

#22 DeeBee

DeeBee

Donna Burgess

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

I thought the market was great too. Had a nice buzz to it. Bought sausages, coffee & mango bread. All yum.

Not sure if I read correctly but I think market stall holders had to pay £50 a day for a pitch - seems a bit OTT and profit-killing.
If the powers-that-be want to encourage such enterprise, surely it needs to be more accessible financially?
Still, got me in shopping mode, and I bought a couple of things from neighbouring shops too.

Limited PR about it - I only heard about it via VN. Would love to see a market flourish in CP.

#23 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

I loved the market - nice olives, sundried tomatoes, fairtrade honey, cheese, pate, yum yum yum - and also nice rings and little pressies

Oh I so hope we will have this again next month!

I spoke to two of the traders and they seemed very happy with the takings - so there is hope!!!!

:)

HAPPY EASTER to everybody :)
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#24 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:06 PM

It is hoped to hold this market every week and to get a fruit and veg stall and fishmongers. It is what PAlace has been waiting for.

#25 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:12 PM

I see... one of the traders told me once a month - if successful!

A fishmongers would be great :)
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#26 Zirconium

Zirconium

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:54 PM

I think the Council will strongly support this - their takings on "illegal" parking (in the loading bay) must be substantial!

#27 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

We have been feasting on french cheese and paté all weekend.Fantastic!! Wasn't sure about the sausage stall though as there didn't seem to be any refridgeration?

#28 Hilly McBilly

Hilly McBilly

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:06 PM

If successful, this market will bring many customers to the Alma. If the Alma ever regains its initial vibrancy it will do well if not it wont. It really is as simple as that. When it started, it had fruit and veg and sausages etc. That is what attracts people. Some people have voiced concerns over the festivals taking trade from the Alma market. This is quite frankly ridiculous. When it comes to market stalls etc. it really is a case of 'the more the merrier' Anyone who visits the area is a potential customer for all and if you have got what they want, you will thrive. If you do not thrive with more customers, then that would say more about your market than the competition. We have got to attract customers here somehow and they are more likely to take on the one way system and hunt for parking if there is a lot fmore for them to do than look around one small market.

Yes the more the merrier. What we need is a full bursting at the seams High Street. And the markets need to have as much variety as possible. Please encourage the fruit and veg, meats, fish, bread and cakes, coffee and tea, books, clothes, art, knick knacks. I cant see that any of this will hurt other businesses. We need foot traffic to the Triangle. It would be great to see more variety of shops on all three streets to get people to walk the full triangle. Give them a reason. Dont blame the people who are trying to do something to improve and grow the neighbourhood get out there and participate.

Edited by Hilly McBilly, 13 April 2009 - 01:07 PM.

#29 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

We went along yesterday as we were away for most of the weekend. Bought some fab French cheese so am thrilled about that. The market seemed to be dying off a bit yesterday though and there was no sign of a sausage stall. There were cakes, cheese, cooked meats/pate and then a few craft stalls and the Hotdog/Burger and Caribbean eateries. Also, the triangle was pretty quiet yesterday so wondering how much custom the market got throughout the weekend? Was it busier on Saturday and Sunday?

Anyway, hope it returns soon, especially the cheese stall :) .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#30 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:07 PM

I didn't know the market was going to be back today in the old car wash opposite Sainsbury's. It's not got as many stalls as last time, but a nicer range of food ones. The woman on the bread stall said it's going to be on on the 3rd saturday of every month. Hopefully now it's regular it'll attract more custom and more stalls :)