Get Fit

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:31 PM

Due to popular demand, as they say, there will be two sessions this week -Tuesday and wednesday evenings 7.30pm Please confirm that you will be coming and which night. Thanks all.

#32 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

Due to popular demand, as they say, there will be two sessions this week -Tuesday and wednesday evenings 7.30pm Please confirm that you will be coming and which night. Thanks all.

Very dissappointing last night. Three people who had agreed to come along dsid not turn up. If we can't get the numbers up soon, we will have to scrap these sessions. I can't stress what an opportunity this is for people. Taylor would normally cost you nearly 40 per hour and is worth every penny. However doing it in these sessions, you are getting his expertise and attention for a mere 8 We had changed the wed session to Tues this week to accomodate people who cold not make wed but as they did not turn up, we will go back to wednesday next week. To summarise, the session will be on wednesday next week at 7.30

#33 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:35 AM

Hi Silver,

At the training sessions I go to, you have to pay for the whole course upfront. This means the trainer still gets the money even if people don't show. It also means people make more of an effort to attend. It might be worth running it more along these lines and asking people to pay for a month upfront for example.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#34 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:44 PM

Hi Silver,

At the training sessions I go to, you have to pay for the whole course upfront. This means the trainer still gets the money even if people don't show. It also means people make more of an effort to attend. It might be worth running it more along these lines and asking people to pay for a month upfront for example.

#35 katsku

katsku

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:08 AM

Just a reminder to anyone who's interested that this group is active and welcomes new people - we're usually between 2 and 6 people, of very different fitness levels. Taylor is very good at getting us work at our own level and as far as I know everyone's felt quite comfortable in the group (although admittedly I'm seeing things from the fitter end of the spectrum).

Training Points have now relocated to their great new studio at 85 (I think) Church Road - where Smash Bang Wallop used to be. It's a much bigger space than the old one, so we'll be able to train indoors with the group should the weather not favour the Park. Normally though, we train in Crystal Palace Park.

It's good value for money at 10 for a group session (one to one session is 40) and it's both fun and a good workout. So whether you're considering starting a fitness regime or changing an existing one, it's worth a try. We meet Wednesdays at 7.30 pm at Training Points and train for about an hour or so (usually a bit longer). Next meeting tomorrow - come along.

Silver and I both go regularly so you can PM one of us if you have questions or need persuading.

#36 filmbuffy

filmbuffy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:53 PM

hiya, unfit and overweight person here. can you tell me a bit more about the sessions and what sort of things you do in each session. is it mainly cardio or that and floor work etc...

#37 katsku

katsku

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:48 AM

Hi filmbuffy, each session is different, but we always start with a good warm-up that involves some cardio, and finish off with stretches. In between we work different parts of the body with or without weights, using things like gym balls, small weights, sticks etc. We use small weights with lots of reps rather than heavy things. We sometimes do a little bit more cardio when we're in the park, but more often stick to the weights. We also do stuff like boxing sometimes - usually when it's just those of us who like that kind of thing, though. Taylor is good at assessing what the group that has turned up can take, so that everyone gets a good workout and nobody feels left out. And there are quite different people in the group.

I hope this helps, I'm not terribly good with the terminology, and tend to prefer pointing at muscle groups and stuff rather than calling them by name - which works fine in this environment. It's a very friendly group and we always have a laugh. Come along and see for yourself, next session is Wednesday 26th at 7.30.

#38 katsku

katsku

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:46 PM

Reminder for the interested: fitness group tonight, 7.30 at Training Points (85 Church Road)

Starting next week there will be a group on Tuesdays as well, same time, same place.

#39 katsku

katsku

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

Just an update for anyone who's thinking of starting or changing their fitness training. The Tuesday group is still going, at 7.30 every week, but the Wednesday group will change from next week. Taylor is starting a new boxing group on Wednesdays and the fitness group will merge into that (I say 'group', but I'm the only regular left). To avoid clashing with another fitness group in the studio, the boxing will be at 8pm. I'm looking forward to releasing stress by hitting things, and will report back after next week's session. If you're interested, I'm happy to give more details, or you can get in touch with Taylor at Training Points.

#40 katsku

katsku

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

If you're looking for a fun way to exercise and relieve stress I recommend boxing. I've been training with Taylor since December, mastered the basics and now we do a bit of Thai kickboxing. It's brilliant! Hard work but heaps of fun. The classes include some core training and working the relevant body parts for that day's session, some technique training, and one on one boxing practice. It's all for fitness (and fun) so the group members don't fight each other, just practice with Taylor who wears pads and gets kicked around a lot.

The group meets at Training Points at 7.30 on Wednesdays. Currently it's very small (last night it was just me) so we get a lot of one on one time. At the moment we're training in the studio, but later in the spring we'll be in the park. It's 10 per session and well worth it. All equipment is provided.

It's suitable for complete beginners as well as people who have tried boxing before. The advantage over a big group is the attention and support you get with techniques etc. Taylor is very good at explaining why things are done a certain way and takes the time to answer your questions. And we always have a laugh.

If you're interested, get in touch with me or with Taylor (details above in this thread).

#41 katsku

katsku

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:37 AM

If you're looking for a fun way to exercise and relieve stress I recommend boxing. I've been training with Taylor since December, mastered the basics and now we do a bit of Thai kickboxing. It's brilliant! Hard work but heaps of fun. The classes include some core training and working the relevant body parts for that day's session, some technique training, and one on one boxing practice. It's all for fitness (and fun) so the group members don't fight each other, just practice with Taylor who wears pads and gets kicked around a lot.

The group meets at Training Points at 7.30 on Wednesdays. Currently it's very small (last night it was just me) so we get a lot of one on one time. At the moment we're training in the studio, but later in the spring we'll be in the park. It's 10 per session and well worth it. All equipment is provided.

It's suitable for complete beginners as well as people who have tried boxing before. The advantage over a big group is the attention and support you get with techniques etc. Taylor is very good at explaining why things are done a certain way and takes the time to answer your questions. And we always have a laugh.

If you're interested, get in touch with me or with Taylor (details above in this thread).

I was going to add: Training Points had a feature in the Transmitter in January so you can look them up there if you've still got the issue (the fitness one).

#42 Too Soon

Too Soon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:41 AM

Hi I obviously have nothing to do but read stuff off virtual norwood. I saw Chrissy B's info/ recommendations on the Miracle Fitness Bootcamps and I also attend these bootcamps. In a nutshell super-fantastic bootcamps. I can't say it enough. But I am not here to promote that. Well I suppose I am because what I want to say is exercising once a week is not enough. I used to be in that same cycle for years and years and admittedly when I first enquired about the Miracle Fitness Bootcamp I tried to wiggle by way into doing only one session a week with the instructor Fernando and he was not having any of it. It was three times, maybe two times a week or nothing. I didn't agree but I signed up to do the three times a week and looking back I am so happy I did. I was hooked from day one. Once a week, who was I kidding. It's more money making on the trainer's part if he/she is only seeing a client once a week. On the bootcamps we have been educated about fitness to such a high standard that we all know that the recommendations are three or more times per week to see results. I noticed that this guy charges 8.00 per session. You might be interested to know that a Miracle Fitness bootcamp is 6.50 a session but you can't book one session only. I have never heard of Taylor but I know a lot of Crystal Palace is on Fernando's bootcamp and a lot people know who he is. In fact Fernando has clients coming all the way from Purley and Beckenham and the other night a woman from Kent has started doing the bootcamp. Can't say anymore except that Chrissy B's post is spot on.

This sounds like a great idea especially as I'm returning from a skiing injury and need lots of motivation but don't want to bear the brunt of personal training costs. Guess it might be difficult to find a night when everyone who's interested could do it so maybe post possible nights, timings and locations and see if enough people are all interested in the same ones???

Thanks for posting this - it sounds really good.

Hi I obviously have nothing to do but read stuff off virtual norwood. I saw Chrissy B's info/ recommendations on the Miracle Fitness Bootcamps and I also attend these bootcamps. In a nutshell super-fantastic bootcamps. I can't say it enough. But I am not here to promote that. Well I suppose I am because what I want to say is exercising once a week is not enough. I used to be in that same cycle for years and years and admittedly when I first enquired about the Miracle Fitness Bootcamp I tried to wiggle by way into doing only one session a week with the instructor Fernando and he was not having any of it. It was three times, maybe two times a week or nothing. I didn't agree but I signed up to do the three times a week and looking back I am so happy I did. I was hooked from day one. Once a week, who was I kidding. It's more money making on the trainer's part if he/she is only seeing a client once a week. On the bootcamps we have been educated about fitness to such a high standard that we all know that the recommendations are three or more times per week to see results. I noticed that this guy charges 8.00 per session. You might be interested to know that a Miracle Fitness bootcamp is 6.50 a session but you can't book one session only. I have never heard of Taylor but I know a lot of Crystal Palace is on Fernando's bootcamp and a lot people know who he is. In fact Fernando has clients coming all the way from Purley and Beckenham and the other night a woman from Kent has started doing the bootcamp. Can't say anymore except that Chrissy B's post is spot on.

#43 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

Posting exactly the same post three times (actually four times, as you cut and pasted it twice in one thread!) isn't great forum etiquette, Too Soon, especially for your first-ever day on the forum, but we'll let you off as you're a newbie and clearly enthusiastic about Fernando! But plugging Fernando and comparing his prices to Taylor's on a thread about Taylor's class when quite a few long-time VNers really rate his class won't win you (or Fernando) many fans. Look and learn a bit longer, my friend... <_<

#44 katsku

katsku

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

Err... I can see the bootcamp format suits you Too Soon, but not everyone can commit to three times a week. Which is why I posted this. Besides, who's to say you can't do both? As far as I know there are three-week gaps in the bootcamp - perfect for boxing, no? (Yes, I'm thinking about fitting in both. Possibly insane.)