6 replies to this topic

#1 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

I am listening to 5 Live and Rick Wakeman is on with Simon Mayo. He briefly mentioned the concerts at the Bowl in the 70s. This is an interesting background and photos:

http://www.ukrockfes...ystal-1974.html

If you go to the bottom of that page there are links to further Garden Party concerts.
Nick, Forum Moderator

#2 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

That's a great website... I contributed my memories of the Stones in Hyde Park to it some years ago, but I must read more on it now that you've reminded me of its existence!
It would be good to see decent bands there again. And I'm sure it's not my imagination that I was taken there as a child in the sixties to a "proper" orchestral concert. By "proper", I mean it wasn't a pretend last night of the proms, fireworks concert, or orchestral arrangements of Beatles tunes...

#3 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

I was there at the 1977 concert - with the unlikely combination of Santana supported by Elvis Costello - seemed to remember it as a good concert - but was only 14 at the time and was one of my first - so judgement maybe slightly tainted - also saw Madness there a few years later - think it was a better venue for rock music than the sports stadium - shame it cant be used a bit more like that these days

#4 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:39 PM

That was a fab website of all the old events... I never knew they had so many tea parties there in the bowl....
oh what it would be like to have the likes of pink floyd there now for 2009...
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#5 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

And although it's a little while since I walked round by the bowl, haven't all the trees disappeared now?

#6 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:44 AM

What a brilliant link! I remember going to watch the Pixies + others at the bowl in 91. No idea I'd be living around here 18 years later.

I love the pictures, and its a real shame that so many photos of our area and park are never seen. We all take photos of the transmitter from the terrace, but the photos events are of far more interest in the long term.

I always knew the park consisted of far more woodland back then, and all over the park you can seen the shallow craters left by felled trees. It appears the park area was made up of large glades in dense woodland. Although I've continually heard about the lost woodland, its still hard to believe how dense the woodland was around the bowl and therefore how much we've lost in the last couple of decades. Nothing remains of that woodland area, from the bowl you can now look straight across to the Intermediate Lake
Posted Image

When in the bowl you couldn't see the terraces because of woodland.
Posted Image

Add to this the dense woodland that separated the cricket pitch from the Sports Centre, which is now only a dwindling strip of well spaced trees with amenity grass underneath.

Edited by Axean, 16 April 2009 - 10:45 AM.

#7 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:24 PM

that is a brilliant link.

Bob Marley's last London appearance was in the CP Bowl. If you type 'Bob Marley Crystal Palace' in to Google Images you get some good shots.