Photo

Ponte Nuovo

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (66 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (19 votes [28.79%])

Percentage of vote: 28.79%

2. Good (20 votes [30.30%])

Percentage of vote: 30.30%

3. Average (16 votes [24.24%])

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

4. Poor (11 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Helen

Helen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:42 PM

We first ate in here over a year ago and although the food was ok the atmosphere and attitude of the staff put us off going back. That is until last week we decided to give them another chance on the back of a tempting menu and the overall opinion on this thread.
I have to say it was one of the most disappointing dining experiences we have had on the triangle. I am so annoyed that we didn't go to Lorenzo's!
Firstly, the music was so loud we had to raise our voices just to have a normal conversation. We had to attract the attention from the staff to get menus, to get some wine, and then to order our food which was all really irritating. When the starters came all 3 were disappointing, in particular my mushrooms in garlic and chilli 'sauce'. It appeared to have been under a heat lamp and was dried out with the only evidence of 'sauce' being congealed lumps.
After the hassle of actually getting the food ordered I did the British thing and got on with it - anywhere else I would have sent it back but I knew I would be in for a further long wait if I did1
After HUGE and very average pizzas the evening culminated with a full glass of wine being broken by the waitress and the contents going over the laps of myself and my boyfriend. I know that accidents happen but it is the way there are dealt with is what matters. The unbelievable thing was that the waitress mumbled a 'sorry' and then disappeared without offering napkins (there was a lot of wine) or anything. Again we had to attract the attention of a member of staff by going up to the main desk in order to get some help with clearing up the mess!
Nobody offered to replace the glass of wine (it was full) and no token reduction (even for the glass of wine) was offered.
The whole evening was a disappointing shambles!

I think this is my longest post yet!

Edited by Helen, 31 July 2006 - 03:42 PM.

#32 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:32 AM

Sorry to hear that, Helen...i have always found the staff very pleasant and the food excellent. It's certainly friendly at the times we usually go, which is early evening or weekend lunchtimes due to having a small and energetic child, so i can't really comment on the standard of service later on, once it gets busier and noisier.
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#33 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

Went here with my gf on Sunday afternoon. It wasn't quite what I was expecting. My gf knows the chain from her time in Epsom, but I think I imagined from the name that it would be 'cosier' and quieter, but it was very bright and we'd only just sat down when Stevie Wonder blasted out 'Happy Birthday' at 1000 dB.
Made me laugh to read the previous posts from nearly 2 years ago, suggesting they're long overdue a new CD collection.
Service was ok, not great, not bad, just average. We had two starters, two huge pizzas and a bottle of fizzy water, for £30. Food was good, but not great. Portions were huge; if I'm starving I'll definitely go there again.
I suppose it's a good place to take kids, and there were a few birthdays going on when we were in, so I guess it's popular with the pre-teen crowd. Wouldn't really recommend it for a date-meal though, unless they turn the music/lights down a bit in the evening, but it's a change from Pizza Express.

#34 Russell

Russell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 01:45 PM

I went there on Saturday with 20 people for my GF's birthday and was really dissapointed and won't be going back.

Having called us 'urgently' about ten times in the run up to weekend to confirm the booking we turned up 10 mins late (having called them in advance to apologise) but then had to wait 20 minutes for half the table as people were still eating even though it had been booked for 20 weeks in advance..

When we did get seated and the food came out there were about 2 pieces of veg per person. I requested some more and was told 'that will be extra'. After very politely suggesting that an extra tray of veg should perhaps be on the house considering we have to wait so long and were spending about £800 the waiter agreed. The waiter then delivered it to the table, went to place it in the middle and then decided to put it next to me along with the comment of "sorry I guess that is ALL for you". Completely unecessary as I had only been polite to him and got my back up for the rest of the meal.

I did take delight in collecting everyones contributions at the end of the night as I don't think he realised that I was the one that organised the whole thing.

Needless to say i won't be taking 20 people back there again.

Food was OK though, portions were good and we weren't rushed out the door.

Edited by gekko, 14 December 2006 - 03:28 PM.

#35 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 05:23 PM

That just sounds rude. Waiter not going for his 'employee of the month' plaque then?

#36 lamb

lamb

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:41 PM

Very surprised to read so many negative comments. Regularly go at weekends for lunch and find the staff very friendly. They've never minded reheating baby food or complained when my toddler smashed a plate on the floor (must have thought we were in the greek restaurant!). One of the waitresses even sat and fed our very grumpy baby whilst we enjoyed our dinner. Overall, family friendly and value for money.

#37 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

Went in here expecting a better and less commercial alternative to the somewhat maligned (unfairly, IMHO) Pizza Express. Really hoped it'd be up to scratch.

Unfortunately, I don't really think it made the grade. The pizzas were edible, but not much more - a bit dry, a bit flavourless, all in all rather underwhelming. I reckon if they didn't make them so unnecessarily large, they'd be able to spend a bit more on quality and interesting toppings! As things currently stand, I'd rather eat at Pizza Express :huh: - or of course Lorenzo's!

#38 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:16 AM

It would appear that the service in this place has developed some charm.

Popped in over the weekend with Mrs Uncle Wilf and food was good and service was decent and more pleasant than it has been in the past.

Spacious and smart and clean in there.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#39 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:45 PM

Had my first trip here today with the extended Guinea family, brother, sister-in-law and nephews.

Definitely works on the child-friendly front, staff were friendly, and the one who had pasta completely cleared his plate, to the delight of his mother.
I had pasta too and while it was a rather odd-sounding combination - tagliatelle with salmon and asparagus in a spicy tomato sauce - it was actually very nice.

The pizza on the other hand looked a bit over-large and a tad flabby, and was certainly more than could be managed, even with 2 boys sharing one. However they were happy to box it up for them to take home.

The final thing which really delighted the children was the mirror downstairs near the toilets, which is one of the fairground style ones that makes you look all wibbly wobbly.

Service was a bit on the slow side, but on the other hand they could see we were entertaining ourselves between courses with colouring books and so on, so we were in no hurry.

#40 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

A friend and I last went to Il Ponte about 18 months ago. Prior to that we went relatively frequently and quite enjoyed it, but on that last occasion the meal was rather lacking. My companion was disappointed with her meal, and my meal took ages to arrive - added to which it was a chicken pasta as opposed to a chicken risotto (as per the special of the day that I ordered). I agreed to eat it nonetheless, but found that I couldn't - the chicken had clearly been dissected from the recesses of bones and was dark, greasy, congealed in fat and unappetising.

I did complain (politely), but they were unwilling to offer a refund for my meal. They eventually obliged, but with a considerable lack of grace.

We haven't been back since, as I have to say we both lost confidence in the place. I do keep meaning to go back and give it another chance (I do want to try and support businesses in the area) but haven't as yet - largely due to the huge amount of choice eatery wise in CP.

#41 Rimshot

Rimshot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:25 PM

I am a local resident and live in the borough. Recently I fancied a "Sunday roast" and having tried many of the other restraunts I thought I would give this lot a go. I am thoroughly disappointed not only on the service but also the blatant rip off in what I paid for. The plate consisted of 1 manky floret of broccoli, 2 thick cut pieces of carrots, and a handful of runner beans (supposedly the mixed vegetables), a good size Yorkshire pudding and of course the beef. Upon arrival of my food, I asked if there were any peas, I was informed I would have to pay extra for this. Fair enough, I can accept that one, but when I queried why there were no roast potatoes served with the meal I was promptly informed by an extremely condescending waiter. that "this dish does not come with potatoes, it never has!" and that I would have to again pay for these as an extra. I would like to point out to Il Ponte, that when you advertise "roast beef" potatoes are included as part of this meal, it is part of British tradition, and culinary custom, everyone knows this even the Americans!.
I doubt I shall ever be going into this place again nor will I recommend it to anyone. I think the waiter ought to be given a grant to work on his interpersonal skills!.
Perhaps readers might be interested in taking a look at the menu posted outside on the day, do mine eyes deceive me or do I see the elusive potatoes’ name scrawled on the menu board?.

Ok I do have the picture however when I tried to post it here I get this message......"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board".So you will just have to take my word for it.
Posted Image

#42 nico

nico

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:59 PM

I went to Ponte Nuovo last week with my other half to see how it was since the relaunch. We were actually really impressed. The decor is quite sleek, but somehow more cosy than before, and the menu seemed to have really improved. We had lobster spaghetti (which was delicious) and a nice lasagne. We used to think Il Ponte was OK and liked their pizzas, but wouldn't really have eaten in very often - but now we definitely would. We also had a nice waiter, who seemed very enthused about the relaunch.

So, overall, we were pleasantly surprised. If they can really deliver on the new menu, I think they could start competing with the likes of Joannas etc.

#43 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:02 AM

Agree. The decor is nice. Cosy is a good word for it. Subtle greys without making the room dark. Enthusiastic waiters too.

We had very good dishes. A seafood risotto and an asparagus gnocchi, I think. We were the only diners for most of the time so when the gnocchi came out with the wrong sauce at first try, I did think the chef's mind was on the football but it didn't matter, it was quickly rectified, and what we had was lovely.

#44 Muffy

Muffy

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:57 PM

I had a poor experience in this restaurant about two years ago but decided to give to a try again recently.
I have been three times this year and have really enjoyed the food and the wine.
It does the most fantastic steaks!
I think some of the earlier reviews are quite out of date and I think it is worth giving this place another visit.
In fact I am off there again this weekend! :D
By the way - why dont the reviews on this forum start with the most recent reviews?
:jedi:

#45 Moggles

Moggles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

Went there this Friday night. It was busy and everyone looked to be enjoying themselves. The service was REALLY lovely - friendly and chatty.

The aubergine starter was excellent. I had the scallops with parma ham and spinach as my main which was really good. It also came with polenta - which tasted a bit odd, but I've never had polenta before! The chips as a side are really really tasty - i would recommend getting these!

Wine was nice, and my friends chocolate mousse looked good. They also opened a bottle of prosecco to give us 2 glasses, even though it is not served by the glass, which was very accomadating of them.

I went before the refurb and thought it average - its way better now.

And to reiterate Muffy's point - the recent reveiws should be first - I would never have gone here if I'd read the reviews on here first.... The positive reviews are all at the end.